wrldtvlr
Topic Author
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Airliners with air stairs

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 pm

I was admiring this photo on the home page - https://www.airliners.net/photo/Eastern ... 25/5620237

And wondered if aircraft producers offer an option for air stairs? There are plenty of airports around the world still without jet bridges, so why not?
 
Italianflyer
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:06 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 pm

They add quite a bit of weight and it's one more system that can cause a MX delay or cancel. That's why my first airline pulled them in the 90s.
There are many with integral stairs flying....but no where as common as the 1960s to early 90s. Most airports lacking jetway use mobile stair/ramps.
Last edited by Italianflyer on Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
DesertAir
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:34 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:48 pm

In the early 70s United flew the Central Valley milk run with a stop in Stockton, CA. My dad and I used to like to watch the 737-200 come in and the air stairs descend for deplaning. Sometimes they did not work correctly so the service crew would bring in the portable stairs on wheels. With most airports with airbridges, I suspect they are not necessary.
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:50 pm

727, 737, CRJ, ERJ, DC-9, MD-80. Whether the airlines actually took them up in the case of the 737 and ERJ is a different matter.
Captain Kevin
 
Max Q
Posts: 7551
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Italianflyer wrote:
They add quite a bit of weight and it's one more system that can cause a MX delay or cancel. There are few with integral stairs flying. Most airports lacking jetway use mobile stair/ramps.



Don’t think that’s accurate, there’s quite a few airlines that take up that option, they can be very useful


Ryanair, for example has them on all of their large fleet of 737’s
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
Italianflyer
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:06 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:55 pm

IIRC several AS 73-700s with integral stairs for times when the ramp is too snow/iced up for mobile stair ramps.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:41 am

AS do indeed have several B737-700's with intregal stairs installed, several of the airline's former B737-200's had both front and rear intregal stairs installed for the reasons that you have mentioned.

Intregal stairs are found on many of the world's current B737 fleets and as mentioned by a previous poster, for example all of Ryanair's fleet of Boeing 737's come with intregal airstairs installed.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9374
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:52 am

Air stairs are (or were, not sure about now) an option for the A320 family as well. Very very very few airlines took it.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:53 am

Max Q wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:
They add quite a bit of weight and it's one more system that can cause a MX delay or cancel. There are few with integral stairs flying. Most airports lacking jetway use mobile stair/ramps.



Don’t think that’s accurate, there’s quite a few airlines that take up that option, they can be very useful


Ryanair, for example has them on all of their large fleet of 737’s

They actually are a maintenance nightmare, and Ryanair was at odds with the airstairs manufacturer and Boeing over the issue.
Problem is that Ryanair uses them much more frequently that originally spec'd, so they wear rapidly.

Cunard wrote:
AS do indeed have several B737-700's with intregal stairs installed, several of the airline's former B737-200's had both front and rear intregal stairs installed for the reasons that you have mentioned.

Intregal stairs are found on many of the world's current B737 fleets and as mentioned by a previous poster, for example all of Ryanair's fleet of Boeing 737's come with intregal airstairs installed.

As far as I remember, only Ryanair & Alaska took 737NG's with airstairs (I assume same for the 737MAX); the others were BBJ's.
There aren't that many 737's in airline operation with airstairs nowadays, with the exception of Ryanair and Alaska.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3388
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:05 am

EAL had some 727-100s with the folding stairs, long gone when I got there in ‘84. There was a visible patch where the door was.

GF
 
User avatar
seemyseems
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:13 am

When I worked at LS one or two of the 738’s had the integral stairs, the airline didn’t use the feature however, although the controls and guard rail support were still there. I think one was a former HV bird and one flew for UX, but I could be very wrong
seemyseems in ATL
 
dmanonice
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:09 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:21 am

WayexTDI wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:
They add quite a bit of weight and it's one more system that can cause a MX delay or cancel. There are few with integral stairs flying. Most airports lacking jetway use mobile stair/ramps.



Don’t think that’s accurate, there’s quite a few airlines that take up that option, they can be very useful


Ryanair, for example has them on all of their large fleet of 737’s

They actually are a maintenance nightmare, and Ryanair was at odds with the airstairs manufacturer and Boeing over the issue.
Problem is that Ryanair uses them much more frequently that originally spec'd, so they wear rapidly.

Cunard wrote:
AS do indeed have several B737-700's with intregal stairs installed, several of the airline's former B737-200's had both front and rear intregal stairs installed for the reasons that you have mentioned.

Intregal stairs are found on many of the world's current B737 fleets and as mentioned by a previous poster, for example all of Ryanair's fleet of Boeing 737's come with intregal airstairs installed.

As far as I remember, only Ryanair & Alaska took 737NG's with airstairs (I assume same for the 737MAX); the others were BBJ's.
There aren't that many 737's in airline operation with airstairs nowadays, with the exception of Ryanair and Alaska.


There are a handful of WestJet 700s that have the system, but the stairs have been pulled and the system is currently INOP. I believe the Saab 340s have stairs as well.
Mike
 
afcjets
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:24 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
EAL had some 727-100s with the folding stairs, long gone when I got there in ‘84. There was a visible patch where the door was.

GF



So did the 727-200 but they often used external stairs. Here is a pic....


https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... v40-15.jpg
 
CMHtraveler
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:26 am

wrldtvlr wrote:
I was admiring this photo on the home page - https://www.airliners.net/photo/Eastern ... 25/5620237

And wondered if aircraft producers offer an option for air stairs? There are plenty of airports around the world still without jet bridges, so why not?


I just used air stairs last week disembarking (and a few days later boarding) a PSA CRJ-900 at SLP (San Luis Potosí, Mexico). They have just built a new terminal but it only has one jetbridge. AM has laid claim to it, so the AA and UA flights to DAL and IAH (both operated by PSA) park remotely and use air stairs.
 
aklrno
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:49 am

Before D B Cooper 727s had tail stairs. After that they were rarely used. Once at RNO the jet bridge froze solid on a very cold night and that was the only way to board.
 
Max Q
Posts: 7551
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 am

aklrno wrote:
Before D B Cooper 727s had tail stairs. After that they were rarely used. Once at RNO the jet bridge froze solid on a very cold night and that was the only way to board.



Actually, they were used all the time, at Continental our policy was the aft stairs
be down and locked at the gate, always,
main reason was to prevent the aircraft sitting on its tail if it was misloaded

Easy to do on the 727, which was a tail heavy aircraft, it sometimes required ballast in the forward cargo hold when
ferrying empty


Which made forward built in stairs extra useful as their weight eliminated that problem


The cabin cleaners always used the aft stairs to enter and exit the aircraft as well
without having to conflict with the passengers disembarking


They were very handy to have, you never needed a jetway anywhere you went


The DB Cooper incident didn’t change anything about their use except for a modification that disabled their activation
above a certain airspeed preventing their
being opened in flight
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
yeelep
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:01 am

Alaska Airlines has not had any 737NG with airstairs.
 
slcguy
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:14 am

Max Q wrote:
aklrno wrote:
Before D B Cooper 727s had tail stairs. After that they were rarely used. Once at RNO the jet bridge froze solid on a very cold night and that was the only way to board.



Actually, they were used all the time, at Continental our policy was the aft stairs
be down and locked at the gate, always,
main reason was to prevent the aircraft sitting on its tail if it was misloaded

Easy to do on the 727, which was a tail heavy aircraft, it sometimes required ballast in the forward cargo hold when
ferrying empty


Which made forward built in stairs extra useful as their weight eliminated that problem


The cabin cleaners always used the aft stairs to enter and exit the aircraft as well
without having to conflict with the passengers disembarking


They were very handy to have, you never needed a jetway anywhere you went


The DB Cooper incident didn’t change anything about their use except for a modification that disabled their activation
above a certain airspeed preventing their
being opened in flight


This is absolutely correct, the 727 tail stairs was an integral part of the aircraft's design and was needed for a variety of reasons and was not an optional item like the forward air stairs shown in the Eastern photo. In regards to the DB Cooper incident, the modification to prevent the tail stairs from opening in flight was so simple it borders on genius. A metal tab on the airframe that rotates over the edge of the door that prevents the stairs from coming down. Tab has a fin/weather vane attached so when aircraft is at flying speed the air flow rotates it into position. It's spring loaded so when aircraft isn't moving it is in the retracted position. Requires no pilot input and virtually maintenance free.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 6357
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 am

AirKevin wrote:
727, 737, CRJ, ERJ, DC-9, MD-80. Whether the airlines actually took them up in the case of the 737 and ERJ is a different matter.


You can add both the L-1011 and IL-86 to the list.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 2813
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:05 am

CRJs, ATRs and Dash-8s all come with built-in ladders mounted on the doors as standard. Possibly an option to fit them without too, but I've never seen that.

Italianflyer wrote:
They add quite a bit of weight and it's one more system that can cause a MX delay or cancel. That's why my first airline pulled them in the 90s.
There are many with integral stairs flying....but no where as common as the 1960s to early 90s. Most airports lacking jetway use mobile stair/ramps.


A truth with modifications. I recall that Sterling pulled them out, only to have to replace them with concrete ballast weights to keep the CG within workable limits, so in reality there were no weight savings. They got rid of the maintenance of the ladders though. Less complexity also means less chance that it could break down and result in a cancellation or delay.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3427
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:32 pm

We had stairs on both corporate 757 and 767's that flew. They were built by PATS as recall? There was always a chance that they would not retrac, and should be the case we would have unbolted them and let them down on the ramp only to be shipped back to the hangar. Fortunately that never happened.
 
Max Q
Posts: 7551
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 am

I’ve always thought the forward air stair installation to be an example of well thought out engineering and good design


Fascinating to see them fold out and then restow, besides they’re very useful
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
tu204
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:36 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:42 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
727, 737, CRJ, ERJ, DC-9, MD-80. Whether the airlines actually took them up in the case of the 737 and ERJ is a different matter.


You can add both the L-1011 and IL-86 to the list.


Yup...cool feature on the IL86. Flew from Norilsk to Moscow S7 back in the day after a rafting trip and the lady at check in at Norilsk just said (cause we clearly were over the 20kg limit) - load it yourselves and have a nice flight.

Btw, IL9 can have the feature installed too. As I am sure the B742 that is the Air Force One has as well.

I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3823
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:50 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
727, 737, CRJ, ERJ, DC-9, MD-80. Whether the airlines actually took them up in the case of the 737 and ERJ is a different matter.


You can add both the L-1011 and IL-86 to the list.


And the Fokker F-70 / F-100.



As far as I know, the Fokkers are the only aircraft where stairs are non-optional. They just have them.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3823
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:54 am

Max Q wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:
They add quite a bit of weight and it's one more system that can cause a MX delay or cancel. There are few with integral stairs flying. Most airports lacking jetway use mobile stair/ramps.



Don’t think that’s accurate, there’s quite a few airlines that take up that option, they can be very useful


Ryanair, for example has them on all of their large fleet of 737’s


But Ryanair only has them on the front door of their 737s. On the rear door, they use mobile stairs.
 
unimproved
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:36 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
727, 737, CRJ, ERJ, DC-9, MD-80. Whether the airlines actually took them up in the case of the 737 and ERJ is a different matter.


You can add both the L-1011 and IL-86 to the list.


And the Fokker F-70 / F-100.



As far as I know, the Fokkers are the only aircraft where stairs are non-optional. They just have them.

Same thing with the DC-9 and 727 IIRC. Rear exit is non-optional since you can't get a normal stair to them.
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:06 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
As far as I know, the Fokkers are the only aircraft where stairs are non-optional. They just have them.

CRJ also doesn't have them as an option, they're just there. Same for the rear airstairs for the 727, DC-9, and MD-80.
Captain Kevin
 
User avatar
CrimsonNL
Posts: 2084
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Didn't BA used to have them on the 737-400? I think they were disabled in the later years of service with the access door still visible below 1L.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine
 
User avatar
BasilFawlty
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:58 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
As far as I know, the Fokkers are the only aircraft where stairs are non-optional. They just have them.

No. Plenty of F70’s en F100’s have been delivered without stairs and with a sliding door.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'
 
User avatar
BasilFawlty
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:03 pm

It’s also an available option on the Embraer 170/175/190/195, flybe has them on their 195’s.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'
 
Max Q
Posts: 7551
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
727, 737, CRJ, ERJ, DC-9, MD-80. Whether the airlines actually took them up in the case of the 737 and ERJ is a different matter.


You can add both the L-1011 and IL-86 to the list.


And the Fokker F-70 / F-100.



As far as I know, the Fokkers are the only aircraft where stairs are non-optional. They just have them.




How can that design allow the use of Jetways?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:24 am

Max Q wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:

You can add both the L-1011 and IL-86 to the list.


And the Fokker F-70 / F-100.


As far as I know, the Fokkers are the only aircraft where stairs are non-optional. They just have them.

How can that design allow the use of Jetways?

If it's anything like the CRJ, they would have a small bridge that they would place between the jetway and the door. Even with the ERJs that didn't have the built-in airstairs were boarded this way if parked at a jetway.
Captain Kevin
 
User avatar
tjwgrr
Posts: 2406
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2000 4:09 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:18 pm

tu204 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
727, 737, CRJ, ERJ, DC-9, MD-80. Whether the airlines actually took them up in the case of the 737 and ERJ is a different matter.


You can add both the L-1011 and IL-86 to the list.


...As I am sure the B742 that is the Air Force One has as well.




VC-25A's actually have two. One forward for VIP's and one aft for media, support staff, etc.

Image
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6278
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:49 pm

AirKevin wrote:
CRJ also doesn't have them as an option, they're just there. Same for the rear airstairs for the 727, DC-9, and MD-80.


Not sure about the 727 or MD-80, but they were optional on the DC-9. Air Canada’s -14s and -32s (for example) were not equipped with rear air stairs.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
vfw614
Posts: 3774
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:51 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
727, 737, CRJ, ERJ, DC-9, MD-80. Whether the airlines actually took them up in the case of the 737 and ERJ is a different matter.


You can add both the L-1011 and IL-86 to the list.


And the Fokker F-70 / F-100.



As far as I know, the Fokkers are the only aircraft where stairs are non-optional. They just have them.


No, there are/were lots of Fokker 100s without stairs:



However, the Fokker 70 always came with stairs.
 
a320fan
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:40 am

Ryanair has them on every aircraft and uses them all the time, I've never seen a mobile staircase used on the front door of a Ryanair 737 (not saying it's never happened, just the exception to the rule). One of my recent Ryanair flights the aircraft was parked at a Jetway gate, with the jetway stowed and the integral airstrip deployed, We had to walk into the jetway, down the jetway stairs to the apron and up the aircraft stairs into the Airplane.

I believe EasyJet used them when they had 737's too, Watch some of their old Airline TV show and you will see them constantly.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
stratclub
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:27 pm

slcguy wrote:
Max Q wrote:
aklrno wrote:
Before D B Cooper 727s had tail stairs. After that they were rarely used. Once at RNO the jet bridge froze solid on a very cold night and that was the only way to board.



Actually, they were used all the time, at Continental our policy was the aft stairs
be down and locked at the gate, always,
main reason was to prevent the aircraft sitting on its tail if it was misloaded

Easy to do on the 727, which was a tail heavy aircraft, it sometimes required ballast in the forward cargo hold when
ferrying empty


Which made forward built in stairs extra useful as their weight eliminated that problem


The cabin cleaners always used the aft stairs to enter and exit the aircraft as well
without having to conflict with the passengers disembarking


They were very handy to have, you never needed a jetway anywhere you went


The DB Cooper incident didn’t change anything about their use except for a modification that disabled their activation
above a certain airspeed preventing their
being opened in flight


This is absolutely correct, the 727 tail stairs was an integral part of the aircraft's design and was needed for a variety of reasons and was not an optional item like the forward air stairs shown in the Eastern photo. In regards to the DB Cooper incident, the modification to prevent the tail stairs from opening in flight was so simple it borders on genius. A metal tab on the airframe that rotates over the edge of the door that prevents the stairs from coming down. Tab has a fin/weather vane attached so when aircraft is at flying speed the air flow rotates it into position. It's spring loaded so when aircraft isn't moving it is in the retracted position. Requires no pilot input and virtually maintenance free.

The DB Cooper vane was completely bogus and it's only function was to meet an F.A.A requirement on the cheap. The 727 had an emergency extend system for the ventral air stair that was designed to actually lift the aircraft tail off of the ground in an emergency so that people could egress from the aircraft in an emergency.

If the emergency extend system was deployed in flight, it would have just ripped the DB Cooper vane off of the aircraft. There was zero integration of the DB Cooper vane with the emergency extend system.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3388
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Having flown the 727 for 6 years, I never heard of an emergency extend on the aft door that would lift the plane. Have ever seen the door and estimated the hydraulic power required to lift the plane? Hint: the actuators aren’t nearly big enough. Link please.

GF
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3427
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Having flown the 727 for 6 years, I never heard of an emergency extend on the aft door that would lift the plane. Have ever seen the door and estimated the hydraulic power required to lift the plane? Hint: the actuators aren’t nearly big enough. Link please.

GF


I also have never heard of this alternate extention system? Flew the airplane in both airline and corporate configs, but can't recall this feature? Of course there are lot of things I can't recall, but I would like to see an official reference.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3427
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Did a little research on this and the only thing I see is reference to the stairs being able to raise the aft end of the 727 in the event of a wheels up landing to assist with an evacuation (USAF C22) Still remain clueless on how this works. Don't think the stair hydraulic system would support that kind of weight using a 2000 PSI system. I know from a previous event that lowering the stairs at around 140Kts will cause them to float unless you have 3 or 4 grown men standing on them.

I certainly do not recall any Boeing or airline evacuation procedures that addressed this issue.
 
Tristarsteve
Posts: 3588
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:04 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Polot wrote:
Air stairs are (or were, not sure about now) an option for the A320 family as well. Very very very few airlines took it.

Were. The 10 A320 ordered by British Caledonian, and delivered to British Airways were fitted with fwd airstairs.
I saw them extended before delivcery in Toulouse, but on delivery they were sealed and never used.
The airstair door was fitted to a couple of thousand A320, but the stairs were not.
 
Canuck600
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Quick question on the reliability of air stairs. Are they one of those things that works better when they are used a lot vs sporadic use? Not the greatest comparison but I know with wheelchair lifts they tend to work better if they are used daily or multiple times a day. The ones that are used less frequently become the "problem children"
 
stratclub
Posts: 1315
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:19 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Did a little research on this and the only thing I see is reference to the stairs being able to raise the aft end of the 727 in the event of a wheels up landing to assist with an evacuation (USAF C22) Still remain clueless on how this works. Don't think the stair hydraulic system would support that kind of weight using a 2000 PSI system. I know from a previous event that lowering the stairs at around 140Kts will cause them to float unless you have 3 or 4 grown men standing on them.

I certainly do not recall any Boeing or airline evacuation procedures that addressed this issue.

IDKFS if the system was on all 727's or not. If installed, there are 2 actuators near the aft end of the airstair compartment that are overhead. For an emergency, they were powered by compressed nitrogen and from the one time I saw the system being nitrogen serviced (35 years ago?), it looked like they would bear against pads on the aft end of the airstair and lift the airplane enough so people could crawl out. You are correct, the single normal extend hydraulic actuator would not be powerful enough to lift the tail and wouldn't even work if hydraulic power wasn't unavailable.
 
dmanonice
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:09 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:29 am

Canadian North and First Air had 737-200 Combi with stairs integrated into the door at L2 as seen in this picture, don't think they had them at L1 on the combi can't remember now.... but some of thier -300s do for sure!


Here is the door closed, not a standard 737 door

Mike
 
User avatar
452QX
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 am

Re: Airliners with air stairs

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:20 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:
They add quite a bit of weight and it's one more system that can cause a MX delay or cancel. There are few with integral stairs flying. Most airports lacking jetway use mobile stair/ramps.



Don’t think that’s accurate, there’s quite a few airlines that take up that option, they can be very useful


Ryanair, for example has them on all of their large fleet of 737’s

They actually are a maintenance nightmare, and Ryanair was at odds with the airstairs manufacturer and Boeing over the issue.
Problem is that Ryanair uses them much more frequently that originally spec'd, so they wear rapidly.

Cunard wrote:
AS do indeed have several B737-700's with intregal stairs installed, several of the airline's former B737-200's had both front and rear intregal stairs installed for the reasons that you have mentioned.

Intregal stairs are found on many of the world's current B737 fleets and as mentioned by a previous poster, for example all of Ryanair's fleet of Boeing 737's come with intregal airstairs installed.

As far as I remember, only Ryanair & Alaska took 737NG's with airstairs (I assume same for the 737MAX); the others were BBJ's.
There aren't that many 737's in airline operation with airstairs nowadays, with the exception of Ryanair and Alaska.


AS only had airstairs on the 737-200C (and only on the L2 door), the 400s and NGs were not delivered with them as all AS stations use drivable or hand pushed stairs throughout the year + buckets of deicing pellets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cargil48 and 21 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos