a350aviator
Topic Author

Need help in selecting college for aviation management

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi,
I am aspiring to become an airline CEO one day, for which I am thinking of pursuing my MS in Aviation Management...I need help in selecting the best college out of these

MBA-Aviation Management
1) Embry Riddle Aeronautical University-Florida
2) Embry Riddle Aeronautical University-Singapore

MS in Aviation Management
3) Purdue University
4) Arizona State University
5) Griffith University-Australia

Master in International Management-Aviation
6) IUBH-Germany

MS in Aviation
7) RMIT-Australia

I don't have work experience. I am from India, where getting into an airline is literally impossible since the only posts available are either cabin crew or pilot...please share your views...

Mohit.

Varsity1

Re: Need help in selecting college for aviation management

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:15 pm

I'd go to a business school and try to learn something like revenue management.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Redwood839

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:36 pm

If you have the money, I'd go for Arizona State Uni. I'm not biased, I didn't go there. I went to Riddle. I considered UND as well, but the cold was just intolerable for for my Caribbean hailing self.

xms3200

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Don't forget Nothrop University close to LAX

Weatherwatcher1

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 pm

You need a plan for what you are going to do with your degree. I suggest looking up the job listings online for airlines. Find some interesting departments and look up what the requirements are. You can work your way up. Beyond just pilots and flight attendants, look at the positions at their headquarters. Revenue management, engineering, Maintenance, dispatch, procurement, IT, etc all usually hire close to entry level people.

An aviation management degree is not all that useful. It is a degree that pilots often get while doing their flight training. Engineering is more useful in my opinion so that you can work in the engineering department where you are responsible for overseeing maintenance, reliability, safety, regulatory compliance, modifications, etc. While in school, get a night job at an airport. You can work the ramp or as a mechanic assistant. It helps getting experience that you can draw upon. It also is great on the resume (although I’m not sure things work the same way in India)

n6238p

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:01 pm

Don't paint yourself into a corner with an aviation degree. If you look at most airline CEO's, very few have had anything close to anything resembling an aviation specific degree. At the end of the day, any company will want someone who knows how to make money selling widgets. Sometimes those widgets happen to be shaped like seats on an airplane.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Starlionblue

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 pm

n6238p wrote:
Don't paint yourself into a corner with an aviation degree. If you look at most airline CEO's, very few have had anything close to anything resembling an aviation specific degree. At the end of the day, any company will want someone who knows how to make money selling widgets. Sometimes those widgets happen to be shaped like seats on an airplane.

Nail on the head.

At the CEO level, there's nothing magical about aviation that requires an aviation management degree. Once you're at that level, experience in the industry is way more useful than your initial degree.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

xwb777

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Try Emirates Aviation University in Dubai. They have both Bachelors and Masters degrees in Aviation.

strfyr51

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:59 am

the top
aviation colleges in the US are:
Purdue
University of00 North Dakota
Ohio State
Embry Riddle
Cal State San Jose (San Jose State)
I went to San Jose State. But you need to figure out under which program you want to concentrate your efforts.

TWA772LR

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:22 pm

I got my bachelor's in economics and international business to do exactly what you want to do. Aviation degrees only count if you want to be an operations manager or a pilot. At the end of the day, the high ups dont care if you can efficiently and effectively manage a hub of 1500 employees or operate a multi million dollar aircraft in bad weather, it's about how much money you can make for the company.

Get an MS in economics or data analysis and eventually an executive MBA.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Tugger

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:02 pm

The one big thing my ERAU degree did for me was help get me hired at a major defense contractor. My boss shared with me after that it told him I had a love for the field that was more than just a job. Aviation was (and is) a passion, and that you can't train for.

So I do agree, the Aviation Management degree is not necessary and is mostly useless (I always described to other employers as a normal business degree, just with a focus on aviation). But in this case it did set me apart and helped me stand out to get the job.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin