cc2314
Topic Author

A380 into Kai Tak?

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:54 pm

A theoretical question, but would an A380 have been able to manoeuvre into the old Hong Kong Airport?
Deleted

atomicstar

Re: A380 into Kai Tak?

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:39 pm

If the airport could handle B747 (but not so well), then likely the A380 could maneuver into the airport as well. It probably could, but very hard to as they also have to avoid buildings while landing.

But just even more risky. I’m quite surprised that no aircraft has ever crashed into a building.

flyingturtle

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:01 pm

cc2314 wrote:
A theoretical question, but would an A380 have been able to manoeuvre into the old Hong Kong Airport?

Of course.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

DocLightning

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:30 pm

The A380 has more wing area per total mass than the 747 because the A380 wing was designed for the A380-900 and A380-1000. So the A380 can take off in a shorter distance than the 747 and it's quite maneuverable. So I'm pretty sure it would have been able to land at Kai Tak.

The issue would have been what to do with that massive wingspan once it was on the ground. Kai Tak's tarmac was crowded enough. That would have been very challenging. It might have been a real problem while the A380 was taxiing back from the far end of RWY 13 on Taxiway A. I'm not sure if there would have been enough wing clearance for the runway with an A380 on Taxiway A.

Fortunately, the new airport has plenty of room.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

BravoOne

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:54 pm

atomicstar wrote:
If the airport could handle B747 (but not so well), then likely the A380 could maneuver into the airport as well. It probably could, but very hard to as they also have to avoid buildings while landing.

But just even more risky. I’m quite surprised that no aircraft has ever crashed into a building.

Old VHHH handled the 747 just fine and regarding maneuvering, staying clear of buildings was not that big of a problem as long as you stayed within the approach path landing parameters. The youtube shots you see greatly exaggerate the landing experience...for the most part.

Starlionblue

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:07 am

BravoOne wrote:
atomicstar wrote:

Old VHHH handled the 747 just fine and regarding maneuvering, staying clear of buildings was not that big of a problem as long as you stayed within the approach path landing parameters. The youtube shots you see greatly exaggerate the landing experience...for the most part.

Indeed. Never an issue. Except that one time China Airlines forced a landing when they should have gone around... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_605
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

TWA772LR

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:54 am

It wouldve made for some amazing a.net photos, thats for sure!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

BravoOne

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:36 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

There are numerous youtube links for the old airport. Google is your best resource.

TWA772LR

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 pm

BravoOne wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

There are numerous youtube links for the old airport. Google is your best resource.

I don't think there's any videos or photos of A380s flying in to Kai Tak...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

BravoOne

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:09 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I don't think there's any videos or photos of A380s flying in to Kai Tak...

Sorry as I did not know you were being 380 specific.