AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Where do you find airline airplanes for sale?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:58 am

Hi! I'm curious...not that I have the money because I don't, but say that you wanted to collect real airline airplanes and buy a few a la John Travolta...where would you look to find them? Are there any airlines who'd be willing to sell some of their used aircraft or retiring aircraft to a collector? And, would they allow you to keep their livery?

If I could, I'd buy something from Delta and Iberia...perhaps Avianca, Air Canada, KLM, British Airways, Kenya Airways, China Airlines or Lufthansa...and just because I am Puerto Rican, I'd get an old Britten Norman from Vieques Air Link!....just curious through...

Thanks in advance for your info!

Woodreau

Re: Where do you find airline airplanes for sale?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 am

I don’t know either, but just off the top of my head, it would depend on what condition aircraft are you looking for.

Are you looking for a completely flyable aircraft like John Travoltas 707. Or are you looking for just a lawn ornament?

I imagine if you want a flyable aircraft you could go to any of the leasing companies that deal in used aircraft and purchase one coming off lease. Then you’d have to arrange to have it painted in the livery if the airline of your choice. You’d probably have to contact the airline you are interested in to get permission to use their livery before the paint company would paint it in the airline’s colors.

For example, when Allegiant purchased new Airbus aircraft, they had to get permission from Easyjet to use their Easyjet orange for their new aircraft interior to match the interiors of the used aircraft they had purchased. Because Allegiant did not bother redoing the interiors of their used aircraft and a majority of the used Airbus aircraft had come from easyjet, most of the interiors on Allegiant are Easyjet. Airbus would not allow Allegiant to use the easyjet orange for their new aircraft interior. Airbus offered Allegiant many different shades of orange to try to match their used aircraft interiors, but in the end Allegiant went to easyjet and worked something out to allow them to use the easyjet orange for the interior of their new aircraft

For a lawn ornament, are you interested in just the aircraft or do you also want the interior? Any of the aircraft boneyards will sell you a hulk, but the livery is painted over, so you’d also need to get an airline to give you permission for a paint company to repaint the hull. You’d have to source the interior parts (like trim panels, seats, cockpit panels and parts) and exterior parts (like flight control surfaces, engines, doors) for reinstall, etc.

There are People who buy just the cockpit section but it’s just the shell and it’s literally just cut off from the aircraft. Then they search for and purchase each cockpit panel, seat, control, window, and install it into their cockpit shell to make a flight simulator pit.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:54 am

Woodreau wrote:

Are you looking for a completely flyable aircraft like John Travoltas 707. Or are you looking for just a lawn ornament?

Ornament...

Thanks for the info!

and BTW I wouldn't mind having an Iraqi 747 in their old but gorgeous livery! (or an old Avianca one in similar but red livery either!)

planecane

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:48 am

Woodreau wrote:
I don’t know either, but just off the top of my head, it would depend on what condition aircraft are you looking for.

I imagine if you want a flyable aircraft you could go to any of the leasing companies that deal in used aircraft and purchase one coming off lease. Then you’d have to arrange to have it painted in the livery if the airline of your choice. You’d probably have to contact the airline you are interested in to get permission to use their livery before the paint company would paint it in the airline’s colors.

For example, when Allegiant purchased new Airbus aircraft, they had to get permission from Easyjet to use their Easyjet orange for their new aircraft interior to match the interiors of the used aircraft they had purchased. Because Allegiant did not bother redoing the interiors of their used aircraft and a majority of the used Airbus aircraft had come from easyjet, most of the interiors on Allegiant are Easyjet. Airbus would not allow Allegiant to use the easyjet orange for their new aircraft interior. Airbus offered Allegiant many different shades of orange to try to match their used aircraft interiors, but in the end Allegiant went to easyjet and worked something out to allow them to use the easyjet orange for the interior of their new aircraft

For a lawn ornament, are you interested in just the aircraft or do you also want the interior? Any of the aircraft boneyards will sell you a hulk, but the livery is painted over, so you’d also need to get an airline to give you permission for a paint company to repaint the hull. You’d have to source the interior parts (like trim panels, seats, cockpit panels and parts) and exterior parts (like flight control surfaces, engines, doors) for reinstall, etc.

There are People who buy just the cockpit section but it’s just the shell and it’s literally just cut off from the aircraft. Then they search for and purchase each cockpit panel, seat, control, window, and install it into their cockpit shell to make a flight simulator pit.

At least in the US, for private, non-commercial use, you can paint your plane in whatever livery you want without permission. As long as you don't do something that can damage the brand like putting a racial slur on the plane in addition to the livery.

A380MSN004

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Check on google : my air trade

Lrockeagle

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 am

Lrockeagle
14 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

zeke

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 am

Speednews is a good place for larger aircraft engines and apus
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zanl188

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:38 am

planecane wrote:
At least in the US, for private, non-commercial use, you can paint your plane in whatever livery you want without permission. As long as you don't do something that can damage the brand like putting a racial slur on the plane in addition to the livery.

Save A Connie was unable to use the TWA brand on their aircraft. IIRC the reason had to do with insurance.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:36 pm