Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fuel Consumption on Trijets

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:11 am

Why do trijet aircraft like the DC-10 and L-1011 consume more fuel than four engine aircraft of the same age like the Boeing 747.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Fuel Consumption on Trijets

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:15 am

Who said they did?

PGNCS

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Why do trijet aircraft like the DC-10 and L-1011 consume more fuel than four engine aircraft of the same age like the Boeing 747.

They don't. I have flown both the L-1011 and the B-744 (which is more efficient than earlier 747s) and your premise is flawed.

thatguy

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:33 am

I believe that the OP is referring to a statement made by an airline executive in the early 90s, I forget who it was, that the A340 quadjet was more economical and cost effective than the MD-11 trijet.

It has nothing to do with quads vs tris as a whole but rather the A340 specifically being superior to the MD-11, if you have 2 identical aircraft and place 4 engines on one and 3 on another (which was actually the original widebody plan in the 90s for Airbus before they scrapped the trijet) the trijet will consume much less fuel.

LH707330

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:22 pm

thatguy wrote:
I believe that the OP is referring to a statement made by an airline executive in the early 90s, I forget who it was, that the A340 quadjet was more economical and cost effective than the MD-11 trijet.

It has nothing to do with quads vs tris as a whole but rather the A340 specifically being superior to the MD-11, if you have 2 identical aircraft and place 4 engines on one and 3 on another (which was actually the original widebody plan in the 90s for Airbus before they scrapped the trijet) the trijet will consume much less fuel.

I don't think that's accurate. There was a good thread about why the trijet layout in general was worse than both the twin and the quad, if sufficiently-powerful engines were available.