tealnz
Topic Author

SQ A359 runway performance at Wellington

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 pm

SQ have announced that from November they will replace the 77E on the SIN-MEL-WLG service with the A359 in the long-range configuration.

Range out of Wellington is limited by the short runway and the airport company has been trying to get approval for a runway extension to allow non-stop wide body services to Pacific rim destinations. As part of that exercise they commissioned a study from Astral Consultants, published in 2016, which provided a technical analysis on the likely performance of different types off both the current and extended runway.

Astral's analysis https://tinyurl.com/yxexvxjpsuggested that the A350-900 would face unique challenges operating out of Wellington. They concluded that, while the 359 could take off at around 230t on a dry runway, it would be limited to ~150t in the wet. They commented: "Takeoff not practical on existing runway nil wind when wet". For other types, by contrast, Astral came up with more typical differences between takeoff performance in wet and dry conditions.

Now SQ is launching a service (on the short sector to Melbourne) off the existing runway notwithstanding the Astral claim that A359 takeoff is "not practical" in the wet. What do we conclude? Astral's original analysis was dud? There have been subsequent technical changes to the A359 that address whatever issues lay behind the Astral analysis? Airbus has updated its numbers on A359 performance on short strips? SQ is happy to operate the aircraft right on the edge of its envelope?

zeke

Re: SQ A359 runway performance at Wellington

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:26 pm

This has been discussed before on a.net.

The report does not reflect what real performance data says.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Armadillo1

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:39 pm

zeke wrote:
This has been discussed before on a.net.

The report does not reflect what real performance data says.

thank you, i find this topics:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420625&p=21317375
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1351457&p=20469335

tealnz
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 am

Yes this has to be seen as confirmation of what Zeke has said previously about ability to operate the 359 out of Wellington in wet as well as dry conditions.

The next question is whether putting the 359 on the existing route reflects a judgment that the runway can only support the short hop to Melbourne – or whether it is intended to gain operational experience on the short runway before launching a non-stop service to Singapore. Time will tell I guess.

flipdewaf

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:09 am

tealnz wrote:
Yes this has to be seen as confirmation of what Zeke has said previously about ability to operate the 359 out of Wellington in wet as well as dry conditions.

The next question is whether putting the 359 on the existing route reflects a judgment that the runway can only support the short hop to Melbourne – or whether it is intended to gain operational experience on the short runway before launching a non-stop service to Singapore. Time will tell I guess.

Or SIA utilizing its fifth freedom rights on a potentially lucrative market?

Fred

SQ22

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:35 am

tealnz wrote:

Time will tell, I agree. Besides possible aircraft/runway limitiations, I do not know the load factors, but in case they were not that good so far this could change with the new aircraft equipped with the long-haul product (actually even the new short-haul product is fine, but that is just my opinion), so in case load-factor will increase route will go to direct instead of stopover.

zeke

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:47 pm

SQ22 wrote:
Time will tell, I agree. Besides possible aircraft/runway limitiations, I do not know the load factors, but in case they were not that good so far this could change with the new aircraft equipped with the long-haul product (actually even the new short-haul product is fine, but that is just my opinion), so in case load-factor will increase route will go to direct instead of stopover.

WLG-MEL is a short leg, they would be restricted to a maximum takeoff weight of around 231 tonnes to meet the structural maximum landing weight limit of 207 tonnes into MEL. That means the aircraft could takeoff with maximum structural payload out of WLG to MEL.

The performance numbers I ran show the aircraft would be Vmcg limited on that runway, so it would be a flap 3 configuration with derated thrust.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News