HP69
Topic Author

Where do each of the US3 have maintenance bases for each aircraft type?

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:14 pm

I am curious where each of the US3 have maintenance bases for aircraft type as well as varient.

mackdad

Re: Where do each of the US3 have maintenance bases for each aircraft type?

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Line mtc or hangar mtc?

Ishrion

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:20 pm

" American operates its primary maintenance base in Tulsa in addition to the maintenance locations located at its hubs"

TUL is the headquarters for all Maintenance and Engineering activities at American Airlines worldwide,[a] and is the maintenance base for the airline's fleet of Airbus A320, MD-80, Boeing 757, and Boeing 737 and some Boeing 767 aircraft – a combined total of nearly 600 airplanes. It employs over 5,000 people, with the majority as licensed aircraft and jet engine mechanics. According to the company, it is one of the largest private employers in Oklahoma.

Dalmd88

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:09 pm

For Delta, all mtc bases are capable for all types that fly into the station. ATL is the largest, with MSP and DTW also being quite sizable operations. 'A' level checks are done through out the system. ATL I think is doing 'C' check on777, 767/757 and all the T tails. I think the 737, A320 are done in MSP and I think DTW is doing some of the 330 work. It's been a while since I've looked at the current plan.

jayunited

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:13 pm

HP69 wrote:
I am curious where each of the US3 have maintenance bases for aircraft type as well as varient.

You are asking for a lot of information, here is a brief synopsis.
At UA, we have the SFO Maintenance Center its the main base that everyone knows this base gets all the attention and services the entire fleet. The engine shop is also located at SFO.
However UA also has maintenance bases at HOU for 737s.
IAH which handles some of the specialized maintenance work load for 787 fleet, and services all other fleet types.
LAX also covers some specialized maintenance work for the 787 as well plus services all other aircraft in the fleet.
HNL does maintenance on 77Gs, 757s and 737s.
MCO has a maintenance base they do work on 737s, 757s, 767s.
The remaining domestic hubs IAD, DEN, EWR, and ORD all cover both line and hangar maintenance required on any fleet type based or that rotates through at hub.
Outside the country UA also has international maintenance bases staffed with UA employees at LHR, GRU, and NRT.
UA is opening a new hangar at TPA, line maintenance at TPA will also be doing more work on our 737s and the Airbus fleet.

FSDan

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:17 am

mackdad wrote:
Line mtc or hangar mtc?

Out of interest, what all falls under each of those categories? I'm assuming line maintenance is routine work (tire changes, small repairs, etc.) that can be done in less than a day, while hangar maintenance is referring to C/D checks, repaints, etc. where the aircraft is out of service for days or weeks at a time?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

fr8mech

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:42 am

FSDan wrote:
Out of interest, what all falls under each of those categories? I'm assuming line maintenance is routine work (tire changes, small repairs, etc.) that can be done in less than a day, while hangar maintenance is referring to C/D checks, repaints, etc. where the aircraft is out of service for days or weeks at a time?

Well, that’s a whole other load of “it depends”.

It depends on the operator, the location and the type of repair, among other things.

We typically refer to hangar maintenance as a heavy maintenance visit, even though I’ve seen some folks do heavy checks outside.

While line maintenance can be done outside, some jobs require a hangar, or just go smoother when done inside.

Composite repairs and cable rigging come to mind as those jobs that really need to be in an environment that is temperature stable.

Engine changes are technically line jobs that tend to go much smoother inside. Though, I’ve done more than my share outside.

A lot of jobs fall into that category when the weather turns cold.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

xms3200

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:09 pm

Don't forget that UAL does have a maintenance base in Cleveland, Ohio, that maintains 737's and is renowned in the UA system as the finest 737 maintenance base that is capable of getting the planes out on time and under budget.. Granted... it specializes in 737's overnight and lately "B" checks that last a little less than a week, but the 737 expertise in CLE is outstanding.

Dalmd88

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:33 am

My definition for line vs hangar is length of visit. If it is a 8 to 12 hour work package then it usually is considered a line station task. A hangar might be required as for a gear extension or weight check. Cold weather demands that some tasks like gear or flight control lube checks be done inside. I've also done all of these tasks while working on a 'Base Mtc' crew. We consider that a hangar crew that yes actually might work outside sometimes.

HP69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 am

Thanks for all your responses!

superbizzy73

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:26 pm

What kind of maintenance does DL do at their big hangar at KSEA?

Runway28L

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:11 am

For AA:

CLT: Airbus narrowbody, A330 fleets
DFW: Airbus narrowbody, MD80, and 737 fleets. 757/767/777/787 fleet.
LAX: Airbus narrowbody, 737/787 fleets
MIA: Airbus narrowbody, 737/757/767/777 fleets
PHX: Airbus narrowbody and L-US 757 fleet
PIT: E190 and Airbus narrowbody fleet, A321neo MX and induction work
TUL: Airbus narrowbody, 737/757/767/777/787 fleets

There's some I'm not 100% certain on, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or missing info.

Dalmd88

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:41 pm

superbizzy73 wrote:
What kind of maintenance does DL do at their big hangar at KSEA?

SEA is a Line mtc hangar. They do most of the A checks for HAL there and a few of the DL 330 A checks also. They can do A checks for any DL type that transits SEA.