Page 1 of 1

Special military activity routes

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 am
by Jeanguypatate
Just curious about these routes. I am new to flying in the US and was wondering if there is anything special to do when crossing these routes? The one just south of Jacksonville named IR32 and IR33 specifically.

Thanks in advance for any info

PV

Re: Special military activity routes

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:44 am
by ATCJesus
Nope, there’s nothing to worry about. These routes are inactive 90% of the time, at least in my airspace. If you filed an IFR flight plan ATC will keep you separated. If you are flying VFR, they may advise you. If the IR routes go near an approach that you are flying, it may not be legally separated, so ATC will either hold you or most likely you can fly a different approach or just cancel IFR.

Re: Special military activity routes

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:33 am
by atcsundevil
Jeanguypatate wrote:
Just curious about these routes. I am new to flying in the US and was wondering if there is anything special to do when crossing these routes? The one just south of Jacksonville named IR32 and IR33 specifically.

Thanks in advance for any info

PV

Most of these IR routes are pretty rarely used, if at all. I have two in my airspace, and I've never seen them used ever. The VRs we have are used occasionally (maybe once or twice a day), but that's about it. If you're talking to ATC, they'll advise you if it's an issue. Otherwise, no worries!

ATCJesus wrote:

This is an outstanding username. That said, I can't believe it wasn't already taken :rotfl:

Re: Special military activity routes

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:09 am
by HAWKXP
If you are 600-800 agl, look DOWN!

Re: Special military activity routes

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:06 pm
by GalaxyFlyer
Tactics have changed to higher altitudes, so much less low level nav than 20 years ago.

Re: Special military activity routes

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:25 am
by Spacepope
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Tactics have changed to higher altitudes, so much less low level nav than 20 years ago.

Aren’t there a bunch of dedicated tanker tracks over the US? I seem to recall a n/s track over western Kansas.

Re: Special military activity routes

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 am
by GalaxyFlyer
Tanker tracks and anchors, yes. Fighter/Bomber tactics have come “off the deck” with precision munitions and better defensive weapons and tactics. Most bombing is done in the teens to low 20s.

There’s probably 30-40 tanker tracks and anchors. Tracks are straight line routes while anchors are large holding patterns about a fix. They are mostly at/above 17,000’ in Class A airspace, not a problem for GA flights like VR/IR routes. VR/IR routes were flown by F-111, B-52, fighters at 250-450 KIAS below 1,000’ AGL, significant collision hazard to GA, much reduced nowadays.

GF

Re: Special military activity routes

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:39 pm
by BravoOne
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Tanker tracks and anchors, yes. Fighter/Bomber tactics have come “off the deck” with precision munitions and better defensive weapons and tactics. Most bombing is done in the teens to low 20s.

There’s probably 30-40 tanker tracks and anchors. Tracks are straight line routes while anchors are large holding patterns about a fix. They are mostly at/above 17,000’ in Class A airspace, not a problem for GA flights like VR/IR routes. VR/IR routes were flown by F-111, B-52, fighters at 250-450 KIAS below 1,000’ AGL, significant collision hazard to GA, much reduced nowadays.

GF


Not to mention large birds!