practicallygeek
Topic Author

Aircraft seat parts - Can I find what plane it's from?

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Hey all,

I've just installed some airline seats at our location in Liverpool - In the back pockets it still had the safety cards and it was from a Russain airline Transaero 737-88.
Now I've found the part number and serial code but can't find how to see what aircraft (REG) it came from. Would love to know more about the plane it came from and see where it is now as this airline went bust in 2015.

Thank you

unimproved

Re: Aircraft seat parts - Can I find what plane it's from?

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:06 pm

That's already hard to do with an airline that's still operating, and pretty much impossible after they went bust.

Since you're in Liverpool it's about a 99% chance it's from one of the now Jet2 birds.

practicallygeek
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 pm

I tried to contact AVIO who make the seats but I doubt they would know actually now I think of it - Boeing may know? I bought it from Huddersfield in UK so yeah it may have been taken out of a Jet2 in Manchester :) Good call - Still would love to know the REG - Do you think Boeing would know?

TSS

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:48 pm

practicallygeek wrote:
I tried to contact AVIO who make the seats but I doubt they would know actually now I think of it - Boeing may know? I bought it from Huddersfield in UK so yeah it may have been taken out of a Jet2 in Manchester :) Good call - Still would love to know the REG - Do you think Boeing would know?

Boeing might (a very big "might") keep a record of the manufacturer and model/style of seat installed in their planes by different airlines post-sale, but as to which individual seat(s) were installed in which individual plane(s) I can't think of a reason why anyone but the airline would retain that information if even they did. The only reason the airline would need that info would be in the event of a defect and/or recall situation, and then they'd just send their techs out to the planes with the directive "Check for any seats with these serial numbers; If you find any, remove them".

On the other hand, aviation in general can be rather OCD about retaining serial numbers of other parts and tracking them by same so maybe I'm wrong.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

strfyr51

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:25 pm

practicallygeek wrote:

I'd doubt iit. Seats are a customer supplied item. Built fpr that Airline and airplane. Can't imagine all the whining there would be were Boeing to demand every airplane be fitted with Boeing Procuresd Seats and Galleys,

zeke

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:02 am

unimproved wrote:
Since you're in Liverpool it's about a 99% chance it's from one of the now Jet2 birds.

Yep agree, if the safety card is from a 737-808 then it’s G-DRTC or G-DRTD.

The other 738s from Transaero to Jet2 were -8K5/-85P/-86N
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

AA737-823

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:12 pm

No, there is no way of knowing which EXACT aircraft they were in.
Unless you have the airline's maintenance records; serialized items are typically tracked that way.
But neither Boeing nor the seat manufacturer would know/care.