Johnnyl
Topic Author

In Flight Shutdown Rate 2019

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:13 pm

I get a daily email from Aeroinside listing all accidents incidents the day before. I have noticed that every day, pretty much, there is an engine failure on a Jet.
I wonder if anyone knows where one can see a listing of IFSD incidents over time, and certainly in the last year. My impression is that there is a growing trend in this direction possibly caused by the fact that the newer engines are running so much closer to their limits and with finer and finer tolerances.
Sincerely
John Leahy (airline pilot retired)

mmo

Re: In Flight Shutdown Rate 2019

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Without spending a lot of time searching, I found this. Don't forget while the number may be increasing but due to the increase in flights the rate is either stable or decreasing. The data is somewhat dated but here you go.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/4908943/a ... _final.pdf
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

nws2002

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 pm

I bet it went down now that G4 has retired their MD-80s.

rjsampson

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Johnnyl wrote:
I get a daily email from Aeroinside listing all accidents incidents the day before. I have noticed that every day, pretty much, there is an engine failure on a Jet.
I wonder if anyone knows where one can see a listing of IFSD incidents over time, and certainly in the last year. My impression is that there is a growing trend in this direction possibly caused by the fact that the newer engines are running so much closer to their limits and with finer and finer tolerances.
Sincerely

To your point about newer engines perhaps being a potential cause, it looks like the PW1500 is having some teething issues on the A220. FAA is taking a very strong look at this after 2 recent in-flight shutdowns:

https://atwonline.com/engines/faa-propo ... -shutdowns
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

Erebus

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 pm

Johnnyl wrote:
Sincerely

Hello and welcome to airliners!

Just wanted to ask, do you come across people in the industry giving your name a bit of a double take? :)

747classic

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:38 am

The 787, powered by RR, has so many issues that the FAA limited the ETOPS in 2018 for some variants from 330 minutes to 140 minutes.
The GEnx had some serious cristal icing issues.
The P&W GTF engine has more than it's share of issues.

Most of the issues are indeed caused by reaching the limits of coventional engine design and the pressure (from the sales department) to deliver even more fuel efficient engines.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

rjsampson

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 pm

747classic wrote:
The 787, powered by RR, has so many issues that the FAA limited the ETOPS in 2018 for some variants from 330 minutes to 140 minutes.
The GEnx had some serious cristal icing issues.
The P&W GTF engine has more than it's share of issues.

Most of the issues are indeed caused by reaching the limits of coventional engine design and the pressure (from the sales department) to deliver even more fuel efficient engines.

I wonder how long it's going to take RR and PW to get these worked out. RR seems like it's in an especially precarious place... They reduced ETOPS by over half?? Wow.
That engine has been in service... how long, now? I'll bet RR is paying out a lot of compensation to operators. I wonder what it's going to take to get that ETOPS 330 certification back.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(