fra-flyer
Topic Author

Japan Cabin Light Rules

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:12 am

Hello Together,

Recently, I took a domestic flight in Japan on a 767 from ANA. Due to the short flight and a very low SLF, the t/o felt like a rocket going into the skies :)

Both, landing and takeoff, were in the dark. The cabin light however remained on for both, takeoff and landing. As dimming the light for takeoff and landing is a normal procedure, I am wondering if there are any special rules in Japan or did the crew just "forgot" about it?

Thanks for your answers!

David
Greetings from Frankfurt

spacecadet

Re: Japan Cabin Light Rules

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:40 pm

Always been lights on during takeoff and landing whenever I've flown there. I doubt there's any specific regulation - there's no specific regulation here either. And there are different opinions as to which is better; dark or lit. American carriers typically (though not always) dim the lights so that your eyes are adjusted already in case of an accident where the lights go out. But there's an equally valid school of thought that says if there's an aborted takeoff requiring evacuation or something to that effect, it's better to have the cabin already lit to facilitate evacuation. When everybody needs to be out of the plane within 90 seconds, wasting 5-10 of those seconds with the f/a's fumbling for the cabin light switch before dealing with the doors and then waiting for the lights to fully come on throughout the plane before the passengers can really get going would not be a good thing.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other, really. American carriers are planning for more of a worst case scenario (an actual crash), whereas Japanese carriers are probably planning for something less dangerous but a bit more common.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Tartarus

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:03 am

spacecadet wrote:
. But there's an equally valid school of thought that says if there's an aborted takeoff requiring evacuation or something to that effect, it's better to have the cabin already lit to facilitate evacuation. When everybody needs to be out of the plane within 90 seconds, wasting 5-10 of those seconds with the f/a's fumbling for the cabin light switch before dealing with the doors and then waiting for the lights to fully come on throughout the plane before the passengers can really get going would not be a good thing.

In the event of an evacuation, the aircraft will be depowered, and only battery powered emergency lighting will be illuminated. These lights come on automatically when certain busses lose their power.

So that argument is invalid.

SAAFNAV

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:52 am

Tartarus wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
. But there's an equally valid school of thought that says if there's an aborted takeoff requiring evacuation or something to that effect, it's better to have the cabin already lit to facilitate evacuation. When everybody needs to be out of the plane within 90 seconds, wasting 5-10 of those seconds with the f/a's fumbling for the cabin light switch before dealing with the doors and then waiting for the lights to fully come on throughout the plane before the passengers can really get going would not be a good thing.

In the event of an evacuation, the aircraft will be depowered, and only battery powered emergency lighting will be illuminated. These lights come on automatically when certain busses lose their power.

So that argument is invalid.

Also, the emergency light switch is just above the FA's head in the jumpseat. It should definitely not take 5 secs to flick the switch. In fact, it is your first action in the evacuation drill.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

HAWK21M

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 am

Dimming the lights during T/O or Landing prepare the Pax and crew to deal with an emergency by resetting their eye to the low light, so in case of a sudden lights out emergency, there is no time wasted for the eye to adjust to the low light.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)