Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DALMD80
Topic Author

Odd Sounds From Planes About To Land

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Last night I heard several plane whistling as they went over. Not that weird, right? But then I heard two full-on SCREAMING, a super high pitched whine like a flute or something. I want to know what they were!
2 things- Wear a mask, and vote. It's that simple.

DL747400

Re: Odd Sounds From Planes About To Land

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Perhaps the sounds you heard were the geared turbofans on A320neo/A321neos spooling down as the aircraft are put into final approach/landing configuration? This has become a common sound around the landing approach paths of major airports.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

WN732

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:05 pm

DALMD80 wrote:
Last night I heard several plane whistling as they went over. Not that weird, right? But then I heard two full-on SCREAMING, a super high pitched whine like a flute or something. I want to know what they were!

Sounds like an Airbus. Do you know which aircraft you were looking at?

DALMD80
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:06 pm

WN732 wrote:
DALMD80 wrote:

Wasn't looking, I just heard them go over.

11C

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:42 pm

DALMD80 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
DALMD80 wrote:

Airbus speed brakes are fairly distinct. Then there’s the fuel tank vents that, apparently, if you live in an expensive enough SoCal neighborhood, are very loud to your tender ears. It seems that the neighborhoods around LAX are immune to such noise.

11C

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:45 pm

DL747400 wrote:
Perhaps the sounds you heard were the geared turbofans on A320neo/A321neos spooling down as the aircraft are put into final approach/landing configuration? This has become a common sound around the landing approach paths of major airports.

Aren’t we supposed to have them spooled up, and in landing config?

DALMD80
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 pm

11C wrote:
DALMD80 wrote:
WN732 wrote:

Airbus speed brakes are fairly distinct. Then there’s the fuel tank vents that, apparently, if you live in an expensive enough SoCal neighborhood, are very loud to your tender ears. It seems that the neighborhoods around LAX are immune to such noise.

Fuel tank vent? Is that the same as dumping fuel? I'm surprised that Airbus speed brakes could make a sound like that of a mortar.

WN732

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 pm

DALMD80 wrote:
11C wrote:
DALMD80 wrote:

Fuel tank vent? Is that the same as dumping fuel? I'm surprised that Airbus speed brakes could make a sound like that of a mortar.

The tanks have vents in case the fuel expands, or is overfilled. This happens quite a bit in the summer time.

DALMD80
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Huh. You learn something new every day.

ALTF4

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Hmm, standard whine, as in what you'd hear on a Boeing and/or an Airbus, or are you referring specifically to the "A320 whine", and you know it wasn't that? I've never been under an A320 landing in person, but apparently the fuel tank vents can be very loud. https://jdasolutions.aero/blog/will-jet ... ion-heard/

Just curious if you think it's that, or something else.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

DALMD80
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm

A320 whine, I think. It was really screeching.

snasteve

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:41 am

11C wrote:
DALMD80 wrote:
WN732 wrote:

You must be referring to Orange County. They take their noise seriously the county installed sound meters along the flight path any pilot generating excessive noise is automatically mailed out a fine.

zeke

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:54 am

11C wrote:
ten there’s the fuel tank vents that, apparently, if you live in an expensive enough SoCal neighborhood, are very loud to your tender ears. It seems that the neighborhoods around LAX are immune to such noise.

It is not the fuel tank vent, the fuel tank vent is like a small NACA scoop. There is a round opening on the under side of the wing attached to the surge tank. That opening inside has a bust disk to protect the aircraft from an over-pressure situation in the fuel tank. The disk does not vent in normal operations.

The sounds it makes is like blowing over the top of an open bottle. The noise can be eliminated by placing a small vortex generator in-front of the opening, some airline install that.some dont.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News