ES64U2
Topic Author

Duration for gear retraction and flaps retraction

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 am

Hello,

I'm a student writing my master thesis about aircraft performance during the take-off and initial climb phase. I would like to know the duration of gear retraction after the take-off (how long does it take when the pilot presses the lever until the gear is fully retracted) and the duration of the flap retraction. I already read the A320 FCOM but didn't find any information. Maybe there are some pilots or other engineers here who can help me. A320 specific data would be great but every information is appreciated. TIA!

gloom

Re: Duration for gear retraction and flaps retraction

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Depends on plane and/or flap change (changing from flaps 0 to flaps 1+F is different than flaps 3 to flaps F). And probably on few other things as well (speed indicated, weather conditions/phenomena etc.). If you don't need scientific numbers (like 2.6 secs), I think easiest and fastest way to get some numbers is inside cockpit videos on youtube. You could check the time between start and done.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Longest in my experience, 25 seconds on the C-5, lots of motion. Shortest witnessed Space Shuttle, 3-5 seconds, I’d guess looks instantaneous. Most planes are probably around 10-13 seconds. Flaps vary all over the place with the first one or two settings taking the longest.

timh4000

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:51 pm

The X-15 came down real quick too. Not sure which was faster but both needed the high speed since they deployed at like 200ft.

Starlionblue

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:10 am

timh4000 wrote:
The X-15 came down real quick too. Not sure which was faster but both needed the high speed since they deployed at like 200ft.

Pass 1000 feet doing around 300 knots with v/s minus oh-my-god. Start flaring at 800-900 feet with very poor forward visibility. No wheel brakes because, well, no main gear wheels. As the saying goes, it seems impossible those guys could fit their enormous brass balls inside that tiny cockpit.

But I digress.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

71Zulu

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:53 am

Several videos on YouTube of gear swings in the hangar.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Francoflier

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:06 am

Hangar extensions/retractions tend to take longer than during normal operations as the hydraulics are usually pressurized with secondary or external systems with less pressure and/or flow than when all engine pumps are running.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Here’s an in-flight extension

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1nfKQZ408