Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skywalker92
Topic Author

ICAO Annexes for Aircraft Automation in Certification

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Hello all,

I'm in a big rush for finding some links to collect some information for this question "Which ICAO Annexes are regulating aircraft system automation during the certification of an Aircraft?"

If you could show your helping hand with some links or some data, that will be a huge help for me. I did an extensive search in the internet, but couldn't find anything valuable. Any help is appreciated a lot!

Thanks everyone!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: ICAO Annexes for Aircraft Automation in Certification

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:03 pm

You need to look at FAA or EASA Partf 25 and the AMC Advisory Circular on acceptable means of compliance. ICAO Annexes are not regulatory. However Annex 8 defines the standards and recommended practices (SARPs) for design and certification.

Here’s the current Part 25 Flight Test Guide

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_25-7D.pdf

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Ok, why the multiple threads? It’s Annex 8 you’re looking for, but it’s not very detailed as the Annexes are very general and delineate SARPs.

skywalker92
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:20 am

Thanks for replying me and your guidance helped me a lot. I will look in to ICAO Annex 8. I want to write about automation regulation under ICAO, FAA and EASA.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:32 am

The ICAO doesn’t regulate, it does provide SARPs, but has no enforcement of certification powers. Certification is a very specialized field, engineers spend their professional lives in it. Reading the Annex or Part 25 isn’t nearly the same as the process of comparing the design and its performance to the standards and how it conforms or meets the standards. It becomes very specific to the design.

skywalker92
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:20 am

Well, yes ICAO doesn't have any regulations as you described. I referred to to the CS-25 of EASA and it doesn't say anything much about the regulations (or soft laws) on automation of aircraft systems. But I find some info in the FAA CFR 14. 25 about some regulations governing automation. Is there any place to look for the EASA regulations for aircraft automation?

Thanks!

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Like I said, it’s really a discussion between the airframer and the regulator, not defined by specific design characteristics. Look at FBW laws, very different among the builders, but all meet the standards.