MarceloJenisch
Topic Author

Airbus C-chord inhibition

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Hello,

If a pilot deviates from an assigned altitude, does the Airbus C-chord alert keeps sounding until it comes back to it? For example, in the case of the accident with AF447, I'm aware it did sound continuously (apart from when the stall warning was active). As for Boeing aircraft, I know that after 900 feet the warning is extinguished. So does the Airbus system indeed sounds all way when there's an altitude deviation?

PS: I'm aware the Airbus height band for the start of the alerts is from 250 to 750 feet.

Starlionblue

Re: Airbus C-chord inhibition

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 am

Yes it is continuous, but you can cancel it by pressing the Master Warning pushbutton.

The band in my manual is 200-700ft.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Woodreau

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:14 am

You hear it so infrequently that when you do hear it, you don’t tend to tune it out.

Unlike an Embraer aircraft where the master caution and master warning aurals are heard are so frequently during normal operations, that the master warning could be going off, but I wouldn’t notice it was going off in the first place. It’s already tuned out because it a normal occurrence.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Lukas757

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Woodreau wrote:
unlike an Embraer aircraft where the master caution and master warning aurals are heard are so frequently during normal operations

Why is that? That sounds like a safety issue.

MarceloJenisch
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
Yes it is continuous, but you can cancel it by pressing the Master Warning pushbutton.

Thanks for the info, Starlionblue. As for the height band, I got that information from an Oxford ATPL training video. The video must be incorrect or outdated.

Starlionblue

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:56 pm

MarceloJenisch wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Thanks for the info, Starlionblue. As for the height band, I got that information from an Oxford ATPL training video. The video must be incorrect or outdated.

I'm guessing the info was taken from the A320 series. Or the band could have been changed.

For interest, I checked the A350 FCOM, and the band there is 200-750ft. (200-700 was for the A330.)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

LimaFoxTango

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:40 pm

In newer aircraft today, aural alerts are handled by one (sometimes two for redundancy) computer. With that, the computer prioritizes alerts and may override one with another if it is deemed more important, so as to not overload the pilot with multiple alerts. For example, the autopilot disconnect alert may override altitude alert if they happen simultaneously, but stall warning may override autopilot disconnect. The trouble comes when two seemingly opposite alerts trigger at the same time, example stall warning and overspeed. Some alerts are also designed to be one off, eg altitude alert, while others are continuous provided the condition remains eg stall or overspeed.

To the OP's original question, on the ATR 600 the altitude alert (same Airbus c-chord) with only trigger once if you deviate 250ft above or below the selected altitude, but the altimeter readout will flash continuously until the altitude returns to within 250ft of selected altitude.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.