QXatFAT
Topic Author

Fly On One Engine On Purpose? Possible?

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:04 am

Good Evening Everyone,

Pardon my ignorance here, but is it possible for a flight crew to purposefully fly an aircraft on one engine? I recently (last week) was flying from MSP to DTW on an A321 and I could have swore I heard the left engine draw back and saw the fan blades stop. Did my bloody mary have a little too much vodka in it? Or is this something that might happen? Our flight flew at about 21,000 FT at cruse.

Thanks for indulging me here or politely telling me to draw the drink back to a single.

QXatFAT
Don't Tread On Me!

fr8mech

Re: Fly On One Engine On Purpose? Possible?

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:16 am

Possible, yes. Probable, no.

So far as I know, “land at nearest, suitable airfield” is the direction given when an engine fails.

If an engine did in fact fail on your trip, DTW may have been the nearest, suitable airfield.

Would the flight crew let you know? I guess that’s really up to the flight crew.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

exFWAOONW

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:32 am

One way to tell, did you get in the conga line or head directly to the runway? One engine failure from disaster gets you expedited handling from ATC.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:45 am

If you were airborne and you see the blades, too much vodka. They’ll windmill in flight unless seized spool, very unlikely.

spacecadet

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:54 pm

QXatFAT wrote:
Good Evening Everyone,

Pardon my ignorance here, but is it possible for a flight crew to purposefully fly an aircraft on one engine? I recently (last week) was flying from MSP to DTW on an A321 and I could have swore I heard the left engine draw back and saw the fan blades stop. Did my bloody mary have a little too much vodka in it? Or is this something that might happen? Our flight flew at about 21,000 FT at cruse.

Was this by chance DAL 1669 on October 25th? https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KMSP/KDTW

If so, you did cruise at 23,000, which is a little odd, but the pilots actually filed for that altitude and if you look at the history, that flight actually took about 12-15 minutes *less* time to get to DTW than other flights that week that flew at much higher altitudes. So it seems like there was just some weird weather that day with winds favoring that altitude.

Given the duration of the flight, it also seems highly, highly unlikely that you had an engine out. Getting that speed on a single engine even with favorable winds seems very improbable to me, although I don't know enough to say it's impossible.

I agree with the comment above, though, that if you saw the blades stop, then it almost certainly *would* be impossible that you'd have gotten there that quickly, because then you've suddenly just got a big wall of drag hanging off the wing.

I think your alcohol explanation is more likely :) Combined with the fact that you did actually cruise at a pretty low altitude, which may have led to your inebriated brain playing tricks on you to fill in the rest of the story.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!