southwest1675
Topic Author

Working at Southwest?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:11 am

Anyone here willing to admit they’re a WN employee? I am. I’d just love to hear if any of my fellow co-hearts feel the same as me. Anyone think we’ve lost our ways? Especially from a culture stand point? Herb’s airline is dead. I hate the petty attitude management will have. I know too many good workers losing their jobs simply because a supervisor doesn’t like them. This was once a fun place to work. Seems like if you have too much fun, you’re written up, or made fun of by your peers. It’s all about the numbers. As long as we make our station manager look good, we’ll stay out of trouble. It’s not about the people anymore.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

unimproved

Re: Working at Southwest?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:47 am

Welcome to any large company.

CosmicCruiser

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:59 pm

true, I remember going from a first name basis to an employee number. (not at SWA)

timh4000

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Having recently flown on WN I felt there was decent friendly service on a 738 on a 1 hr flight. So it hasn't carried over too much to the pax, at least not yet from my experience. Regional AA American eagle operated by Piedmont it definitely has carried over. Not sure where the breakdown comes from. I can tell you the 1 FA you typically barely got a greeting and that was only if they weren't talking to the pilots or ground crew. I don't expect much for a 45m flight in an RJ and ONLY if the pilot didn't predict any turbulence which they almost always did, even though the turbulence was barely worth the description, the FA stayed planted in their seat the entirety of the flight. Not that I care much for that length of flight.
There's an Amazing amount of people
who seemed to have nervous bladders during that short of a flight. I think the percentage of people nervous about flying is higher than reported. I think there's a lot, especially men who just don't admit to it.

m007j

Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:30 am

Don't ruin it for me. I'm in the final stages of interviewing for the cadet program, and I still think WN is the bee's knees

Redbellyguppy

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:44 am

I believe strongly that if you are the culture you mourn the loss of, you’ll find that it hasn’t really been lost at all.

e38

Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:39 pm

southwest1675 (thread starter), just a couple comments . .

1. If you can get yourself into a position where you are a supervisor or manager, then perhaps you can change the corporate culture; not necessarily for the entire company, but certainly within your sphere of influence. That would certainly be a win-win situation for both you and those you manage/supervise.

2. You did not mention that your were unhappy working at Southwest--just that the culture has changed over the years--however, if you do find yourself not pleased with the culture or the direction in which the company is going--then just find another company for which to work; your hands are certainly not tied to working at Southwest.

and for timh4000 (Reply # 4), your response made absolutely no sense at all and had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic.

e38

timh4000

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:24 pm

I compared my recent experiences flying on WN and that the culture complained about within had not or was not transferred over to the customer, at least not my experience flying WN I compared my experience flying on AA and that the service I received as a customer was substantially less. And I compared the two because they were similar short haul flights. WN only uses 737's whereas AA flies smaller planes which has only 1 FA whom I found in the majority of the AA flights, the FA service was not nearly as good, nor as friendly.

KPDX

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:03 am

I work here and I think what you're experiencing are the symptoms of a company that has expanded extremely quickly. Of course it's going to be a major challenge to maintain a comparable culture to the days of Herb being at the helm. That being said, I personally love working for Southwest, warts and all, and couldn't be any happier. I say that without drinking the kool-aid. Sad to see you feel that way!

71Zulu

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:37 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Anyone here willing to admit they’re a WN employee? I am. I’d just love to hear if any of my fellow co-hearts feel the same as me. Anyone think we’ve lost our ways? Especially from a culture stand point? Herb’s airline is dead. I hate the petty attitude management will have. I know too many good workers losing their jobs simply because a supervisor doesn’t like them. This was once a fun place to work. Seems like if you have too much fun, you’re written up, or made fun of by your peers. It’s all about the numbers. As long as we make our station manager look good, we’ll stay out of trouble. It’s not about the people anymore.

Badmouthing your company on a public forum? Maybe not the best idea.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nagpaw

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:35 pm

The culture is you/us, not the Company. Management can never control your attitude. Wear a smile, enjoy working with your peers, and lend a helping hand to those in need, and the culture will be just fine. :D

southwest1675
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:45 pm

Come work at my station for 3 months and let me know what you think.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019