B-HOP
Topic Author

Airlines using bizjet for training

Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Just wonder apart from Lufthansa using Citation CJ for cadet pilot training and EK/EY using Phenom 100 for the same role, any other airline using business jet for training? Does China Southern still Citation V Ultra in Perth? I know CX got rid of its RJ and SQ got rid of its Mustang

Were the training useful before conversion onto jets? Or today's modern simulator were just as useful, some Flight Training Device cost only a fraction compare to a real aircraft, were those of any use?

Kev
Live life to max!!!

QF93

Re: Airlines using bizjet for training

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Back in the 1960s and 70s Qantas had a HS-125 jet they used as a trainer:

http://www.aussieairliners.org/hs-125/vh-ece/vhece.html

Starlionblue

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:02 pm

B-HOP wrote:
Just wonder apart from Lufthansa using Citation CJ for cadet pilot training and EK/EY using Phenom 100 for the same role, any other airline using business jet for training? Does China Southern still Citation V Ultra in Perth? I know CX got rid of its RJ and SQ got rid of its Mustang

Were the training useful before conversion onto jets? Or today's modern simulator were just as useful, some Flight Training Device cost only a fraction compare to a real aircraft, were those of any use?

Kev

Back in the days of yore, simulators were not as good as today, but even fixed-base flight training devices are excellent nowadays.

Sims and FTDs have the advantage that they can be a similar type as what students will eventually operate. The only advantage I can think of with an actual aircraft is that it gives students new to jets a feel for the speeds involved, whilst outside the safety of the simulator. But I suppose it is not worth the cost.

Here's the CX Learjet.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Max Q

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:02 pm

Continental used to use a Sabreliner in that era
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

e38

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:00 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply # 4), "Continental used to use a Sabreliner in that era."

That is correct. The registration was N743R and the approximate time period in which it was used was 1968 - 1973.

In addition to flight training, I was under the impression the aircraft was also used for corporate personnel on business travel.

e38

e38

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:04 am

correction,
three additional airframes . . . N231CA (later N231A), N71CC, and N2586E (approximately 1968 - 1989).
e38

THS214

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:06 am

B-HOP wrote:

Kev

Finnish aviation academy has e100s. The school is for Finnair but officially it can't be such so government can fund it. Theoretically the train pilots for all airlines but its a scam so pilots for Finnair pay 1/5th of training costs all the else is paid by tax payers.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:09 am

B-HOP wrote:

Kev

The USAF uses the T-1, converted Beech 400 née Mitsubishi MU-300. A small bizjet, I would think would be the ideal trainer, similar avionics, speeds, etc.

GF