readytotaxi
Topic Author

Crew overnighting in hotels question.

Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:41 pm

I guess there is no hard and fast answer and probably varies from airline to airline but I'll ask as I do not know. Does each member get their own room or is there a requirement to share? Does rank play a part? Imagine sharing bedroom/bathroom with a "stranger" could well be an issue. Curious.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

jetmatt777

Re: Crew overnighting in hotels question.

Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:46 pm

All of the US carriers are single room.

Id imagine the same for all first world carriers.

The liability is too great, the airline could be partly responsible in an abuse, assault, or theft case arising from forced room sharing.

Crash pads (paid for by the crewmember and not the company) are another story. 15-20 people sharing a small apartment with bunkbeds is not uncommon. But thats on the person and not the company .
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

unimproved

Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Everyone gets their own room, with requirements on amenities provided. Desk, aircon, minimum size, etc.

e38

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:52 pm

readytotaxi (thread starter), you basically answered your own question with your closing comment, "Imagine sharing bedroom/bathroom with a "stranger" could well be an issue."

Yes, to do so would be extremely unusual and awkward.

When you say “rank,” do you mean “does the Captain get his/her own room and everyone else on the crew shares a room?” No, I don’t think that would go over so well!

I cannot imagine any reputable airline that would require crewmembers to share a hotel room. As jetmat777 implied, "too many potential issues."

The only possible, and very remote, circumstance I might imagine would be a low budget, perhaps cargo/freight/charter operator where the crew complement might be a pilot and a flight mechanic--could be two or more pilots, of course--but even a low budget company probably would not want to risk the liability issues.

e38

Starlionblue

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:16 pm

"Suitable accommodation", defined as a bedroom, with minimal noise, well ventilated, and with the means to control lighting and temperature. Always private.

Higher ranking crew members, for example the captain and cabin crew chief, will sometimes get a better room or suite, and things like lounge access. However this is dependent on the hotel. There is no such requirement from the company.

Airlines typically pay way less than standard room rate as part of contracted blocks of rooms. At some hotels we might use 50 rooms every night, so it is guaranteed occupancy for the hotel.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

CosmicCruiser

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:26 pm

The only time I ever had to share a room was the 1 ½ yrs I was at ABX. The capt. got his on room and the F/O shared a room with the load master. The worst part was the load master slept most of the flight so when we got to the hotel he would light up ciggies, turn on the lights and watch TV. I'd hub turned for a week and needed sleep. If you're asking why I didn't go to the co. about, they didn't care. Worst flying job I ever had.
Of course when I made the big boy airline it was totally different. Heck even my corp. jobs they never had pilots share a room.

VSMUT

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:14 am

e38 wrote:

The only possible, and very remote, circumstance I might imagine would be a low budget, perhaps cargo/freight/charter operator where the crew complement might be a pilot and a flight mechanic--could be two or more pilots, of course--but even a low budget company probably would not want to risk the liability issues.

e38

Having done both, I can assure you that this never happened. But the cabin crew did get worse rooms than the pilots at one company. Also had 2 CC who were a couple, so they arranged double rooms, but at their own request.

I would never accept a shared room. If someone made such a mistake, I would get a room anyway and charge it to the company afterwards, and they would get no say about the hotel and price.

Another point, we tend to earn a lot of points and status, so those of us with status cards often get upgrades to suites, free drinks, access to lounge etc.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:25 am

Forty years ago at a cheap 135 operator flying Citations, we didn’t double up, so no. Yes, military contingencies and wars were different.

Woodreau

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:32 am

My first airline (bottom of the barrel US 121 regional airline) made all of the overnight cities crew domiciles otherwise known as outstation basing. There were no crews assigned at the hub. All trips at the airline were 1 day trips that started at the outstation and finished at the same outstation. That meant overnight accommodations were left up to the pilots and the airline was not responsible for any hotels or lodging.

The only time they provided hotels was when a crew ended up at an overnight city they weren’t supposed to be due to mechanical, Time out etc. then they provided single occupancy rooms. The longest was when my plane broke down in DFW for 5 days. We got a hotel for 5 days 1 day at a time. Since we only flew day trips we didn’t bring anything other than our flight kit on trips. So my FO had nothing with him, and I happened to live in DFW so I just invited the FO, offered home cooked meals with my family, drove him to the Wally World to pick up a change of clothes, toiletries, etc.

What the crews at the domicile did usually was find the pilot that was at the crew domicile as a TDY pilot that had a hotel room provided by the airline and we all crashed in his or her hotel room for the night.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

SAAFNAV

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:27 am

Subcontracting for the UN, they have a policy the captain having a room to himself, and the rest must share.
Luckily our company policy forbids it, so on an RON the company picks up the tab for the extra room.

But when you break down in the Somali desert and have to stay at the camp, you'd end up sharing due to space. Great fun.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

johns624

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Airline contracts also get rid of the checkout times that regular guests have to abide by.

VSMUT

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:21 pm

johns624 wrote:
Airline contracts also get rid of the checkout times that regular guests have to abide by.

Not necessarily. Cargo flying at night, many hotels required the airline to book 2 nights to get an uninterrupted day-room. Of course, the hotels know that once the crew is gone late afternoon/early evening, they can sell the room again.

e38

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:01 pm

to follow-up with the comments by CosmicCruiser (Reply # 6) with regard to having a private room versus sharing a room, "The only time I ever had to share a room was was at ABX,"

It would be interesting to hear from folks who work at, or who have previously worked at, other all-cargo and/or charter operations such as Kalitta Air, Southern Air, Miami Air, Swift, etc.

I admit I do not know very much about the operations at these companies; however, just from what I've heard hanging around the pilot lounge, the impression I get is that some of these carriers do not put a lot of emphasis on crew accommodations or pilot comfort issues.

e38

n92r03

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:25 pm

[/quote]Another point, we tend to earn a lot of points and status, so those of us with status cards often get upgrades to suites, free drinks, access to lounge etc.[/quote]

That is interesting, I would have thought crew would not be eligible for points/status as part of the company's contract. I write that as I am under the impression (in the US) that players/staff on sports teams, i.e., MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL do not receive points/status as their flights are charters. I may be wrong or simply comparing apples to oranges.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:32 pm

Depends on the contract. Corporate flying we nearly always got the points, but sometimes either the company travel department or Jeppesen reserved rooms that didn’t allow for points-stay credit. I think it’s a “travel industry” discounted rate that doesn’t include points. If your a Marriott rewards pilot, you might not get points for room, but get them for purchasing meals, drinks, etc. Now, FDX and UPS crew do get frequent flyer points on deadheads.

And, when there were no points, did I ever hear about it! Loudly

nws2002

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:41 pm

I've only had to share a room once, and that was in JAC on an unplanned overnight. Crew scheduled tried for over an hour to find rooms and finally was able to get us 2 rooms. Two pilots and myself in one room, the other 3 flight attendants in the other room. Otherwise, there was nothing within a 3 hour drive. Since it wasn't something the company did on purpose we dealt with it, but it was highly unusual.

tb727

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:39 am

e38 wrote:
to follow-up with the comments by CosmicCruiser (Reply # 6) with regard to having a private room versus sharing a room, "The only time I ever had to share a room was was at ABX,"

It would be interesting to hear from folks who work at, or who have previously worked at, other all-cargo and/or charter operations such as Kalitta Air, Southern Air, Miami Air, Swift, etc.

I admit I do not know very much about the operations at these companies; however, just from what I've heard hanging around the pilot lounge, the impression I get is that some of these carriers do not put a lot of emphasis on crew accommodations or pilot comfort issues.

e38

Even on the 135 side of one of the listed companies we had our own rooms. Not the nicest hotels sometimes, but they weren't terrible. All we wanted was free breakfast and a place that didn't have doors that opened to the outside. Now rest/duty days was a whole different thing, no care or comfort there.

At my current company new hire FA's have to share rooms in initial training.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!