Vimanav
Topic Author

Visual difference between RR & GE engine on the 787

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi, what are the external distinguishing features of the RR Trent and the GEnx engines on the 787.

thanks//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

thepinkmachine

Re: Visual difference between RR & GE engine on the 787

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Yup, very easy. If you see a 787 parked by the hangar with no engines, it is certainly the Trent version... :mrgreen: (sorry, couldn't resist...)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/All-Nippon-Airways-ANA/Boeing-787-8-Dreamliner/5228501/L
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"

AIRMET

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Seen from the outside, the RR Trent 1000 and the GEnx appear very similar. Hence, it is quite difficult to distinguish between the two engines.

My impression is that one of the only features by which to distinguish them when looking from the front is the spinner in the middle of the fan. The spinner of the Trent 1000 is quite distinctive (it is very much angular and cone-shaped and always comes with a noticeable white coil as far as I can see), whereas the spinner of the GEnx appears to be rounded, is slightly less distinctive and in some cases lacks a coil.

In addition, the Trent 1000 has small airflow management devices (nacelle chines) attached to it on its lower outer side (the side facing downwards and away from the fuselage of the aircraft). The GEnx does not seem to have those, but only the larger chines attached on the upper inner side of the engines (the side facing upwards and towards the fuselage of the aircraft), which can be found at the Trent 1000 as well.

Seen from behind, I find it nearly impossible to distinguish the two engines.

unimproved

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:55 pm

One thing I always spot any Trent by is the smoke coming from under it while idle. The oil vents from the bottom of the engine unlike GE where it goes out of the back.

asr0dzjq

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:52 pm

I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that you can tell engines apart from looking at the back side. If I'm not mistaken, the exhaust cone on the RR is pointier at the end and slightly smaller in diameter than that on the GE.
R.I.P.

Pan Am (B 19-10-1927, D 4-12-1991)
TWA (B 1-10-1930, D 1-12-2001)
Douglas (B 22-7-1921, D 23-5-2006)

ikolkyo

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:01 pm

As of late it seems the Trent will be on the ground missing pieces, while the GE is in the air and spinning.

Vimanav
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Thanks for the inputs... i think the visual differences are indeed very few in this case.
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai