DarQuiet
Topic Author

Disarming the Door

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:23 am

Is it allowed or legal to disarm the door before the aircraft comes to a full stop at the gate upon arrival?

ChrisKen

Re: Disarming the Door

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:06 am

Pretty much standard practice to disarm the doors just before pulling onto the stand. Lots of infrastructure/vehicles/personnel floating about on them, rendering the slides dangerous/pointless/too easily damaged.

Starlionblue

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:11 am

Not always the case. Some airlines use the seat belt sign "off" as a signal for the cabin crew to disarme the slides.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

zuckie13

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:15 pm

I fly WN usually, and I'm pretty sure the lead attendant doesn't make the call to disarm and cross check until stopped at the gate.

zeke

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 pm

DarQuiet wrote:
Is it allowed or legal to disarm the door before the aircraft comes to a full stop at the gate upon arrival?

Yes, depends on the regulator and airlines.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

ILUV767

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Movement of the aircraft is prohibited without the slides armed on all US carriers.

CosmicCruiser

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:04 pm

though we never had pax except for J/S'ers, but the F/O would go back and disarm the doors after the parking brake was set.

fr8mech

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:14 pm

ILUV767 wrote:
Movement of the aircraft is prohibited without the slides armed on all US carriers.

Just out of curiosity, can you cite that for us in the FAR’s?
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

aaway

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:08 am

fr8mech wrote:
ILUV767 wrote:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveEC ... .7.20.3.27
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

tommy1808

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:13 am

aaway wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
ILUV767 wrote:

Does "available for evacuation" strictly mean "armed"?

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

aaway

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:22 am

tommy1808 wrote:
aaway wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Yes, the interpretation of the phraseology suggests an aircraft actively transporting passengers during air/land transit, versus (how I believe you may be interpreting) an aircraft that just has the ability to carry passengers, or an aircraft that is static (i.e.,parked at gate, stand).
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

fr8mech

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26 am

aaway wrote:

Thank you.

tommy1808 wrote:

That's how I would read it. I can't imagine any other means of an exit being "ready for evacuation."

In fact, if you look at the 14CFR121.310(a), referenced, you'll find this statement:

An assisting means that deploys automatically must be armed during taxiing, takeoffs, and landings.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

aaway

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:35 am

fr8mech wrote:
aaway wrote:

Thank you.

tommy1808 wrote:

That's how I would read it. I can't imagine any other means of an exit being "ready for evacuation."

Technically, subpart (B) under 121.570 would be the alternate means of passenger egress / evacuation when not in transit:

(b) Each certificate holder shall ensure that, at all times passengers are on board prior to airplane movement on the surface, at least one floor-level exit provides for the egress of passengers through normal or emergency means.

tommy1808

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:52 am

aaway wrote:
(b) Each certificate holder shall ensure that, at all times passengers are on board prior to airplane movement on the surface, at least one floor-level exit provides for the egress of passengers through normal or emergency means.

Follow up question. I do recall from training way back when that we can under no circumstances close the gate side door of the finger before the aircraft door is closed. Made sense of course. Does that mean they have to arm at least one slide before the finger is moving?

best regards
Thomas

aaway

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:02 am

tommy1808 wrote:
aaway wrote:

Follow up question. I do recall from training way back when that we can under no circumstances close the gate side door of the finger before the aircraft door is closed. Made sense of course. Does that mean they have to arm at least one slide before the finger is moving?

best regards
Thomas

Someone may correct me here. I don't recall your scenario being an FAA (FAR) requirement, but rather a carrier-specific SOP(?) 121.570[B] represents the minimum mandated requirement at gate/stand.

tommy1808

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:09 am

aaway wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
aaway wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Someone may correct me here. I don't recall your scenario being an FAA (FAR) requirement, but rather a carrier-specific SOP(?) 121.570[B] represents the minimum mandated requirement at gate/stand.

I used to cki/board in Germany. But even in the US, the moment the finger detaches there isn´t a way off the aircraft unless a) another door still has stairs or b) there is already at least one armed slide.

best regards
Thomas

aaway

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:48 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
aaway wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Someone may correct me here. I don't recall your scenario being an FAA (FAR) requirement, but rather a carrier-specific SOP(?) 121.570 represents the minimum mandated requirement at gate/stand.

I used to cki/board in Germany. But even in the US,[b] the moment the finger detaches there isn´t a way off the aircraft
unless a) another door still has stairs or b) there is already at least one armed slide.

best regards
Thomas

I'll say point taken, even though - with all do respect - the predicate of your original question changed, no? :wink2:

tommy1808

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:08 am

aaway wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
aaway wrote:

Someone may correct me here. I don't recall your scenario being an FAA (FAR) requirement, but rather a carrier-specific SOP(?) 121.570 represents the minimum mandated requirement at gate/stand.

I used to cki/board in Germany. But even in the US,[b] the moment the finger detaches there isn´t a way off the aircraft
unless a) another door still has stairs or b) there is already at least one armed slide.

best regards
Thomas

I'll say point taken, even though - with all do respect - the predicate of your original question changed, no? :wink2:

for a non-native speaker legalistic texts are challenging to understand correctly, so i go and ask pesky questions.

best regards
Thomas