Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Swampfoot
Topic Author

Pre-hire physical fitness test - Bombardier Tucson

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:31 am

What do these tests entail? First I've heard of them, but evidently even though I've been offered a contract position thru HSGI at Bombardier Tucson doing A&P work, I have to pass one of these physicals to actually start work. Drug test is a cakewalk, I don't even drink alcohol, much less smoke or use any form of cannabis or illegal drugs. I'm basically a crushing bore to be around.

But I am 52 years old, and one leg is a bit weak so I'm a little slower going up stairs than the young'uns.

What are the common names for these tests so I can look up what's involved? What are your experiences with them? They told me over the phone what it was called - workwell, worksafe, something like that, but I can't remember the exact name. I wonder if they only require it from the older guys?

Hope it's not too demanding. Thanks in advance for any info!

zeke

Re: Pre-hire physical fitness test - Bombardier Tucson

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 am

Why don’t you just call them and ask under the guise of wanting to know if you have to bring gym gear ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Dalmd88

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:35 pm

I'm just guessing here, First a good old fashion visit with a Dr. I know Delta does that. Then they might have you do some basic movements which test range of motion. I would not imagine it includes great feats of strength or a 3 mile run. Most companies are getting away from the must lift 70 lbs requirement. Everything now is a 'team lift'. The goal of lower injury rate is going down the path of high flexibility, range of motion, and proper ergonomic technique.

So can you stand on one leg? Can you bend over and touch the ground? Can you reach above your head and touch your back between you shoulder blades? These are all part of our morning 'Stretch and Flex' program at Delta Tech Ops. We also do a recurrent 'Back Safe' CBT for proper lifting technique. You might want to brush up on that kind of stuff.

Good luck, I wouldn't sweat it too much. My coworkers are not the gym rat types and we get by.

unimproved

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:56 pm

It's not that bad, mostly safety related things. Eyes, heart issues, etc. No real benchmarks AFAIK... its not the air force.

Swampfoot
Topic Author

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
So can you stand on one leg? Can you bend over and touch the ground? Can you reach above your head and touch your back between you shoulder blades?

Yikes, due to a broken tendon in my calf (peroneus longus) I can't balance only on my right foot without a handhold. Left foot, no problem. I imagine they'll check that and it'll be a deal breaker.

Been meaning to get that fixed but have been putting it off.
A&P (1989), AME (Apprentice), Astrophotographer. I want to meet your cat.

jetmatt777

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:32 pm

My strength test for the ramp at Continental Airlines was pretty easy. They have you do a few exercises on a leg machine and a few on an arm machine (curls, pushing, pulling, etc.)

It lasted about 10 minutes. I imagine this test will be similar. They aren't looking for body builder strength or stamina - just that you meet the minimum strength requirements.