readytotaxi
Topic Author

After Life - The BA flight simulators

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:13 pm

Your thoughts on what BA will do with their 747 sims once they no longer have the aircraft. Are they of use to another operator, a cargo airline. Can they be sold off and used for entertainment.
Afterthought, what have they done with the 767 sims? :?:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Starlionblue

Re: After Life - The BA flight simulators

Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:24 pm

They might simply keep running them. Many operators simply keep older sims and rent out the time to other airlines for years after they've retired the type. Running a sim facility is expensive and many airlines don't have their own sims, or routinely rent extra capacity.

Sold off for entertainment is hard. Even if they're converted to fixed base, they're expensive pieces of kit to keep running.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Dalmd88

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:04 pm

I would also bet they keep them for a while to contract training for other airlines. I think DL might still have an MD-11 sim for contract work. They are paid off, and the stream of business can be pretty good. It all comes down to if you can find the business, and you don't need the space for other new sims.

BravoOne

Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:10 pm

The RR engines might be a problem for another operator along with having it certified for other than a UK operator, but otherwise as others have suggested it might have some afterlife left in it as a training device.

Don't think Delta owns any MD11 sims anymore. There was one at the ATL training center for awhile but it actually belong to one of the startup freight operators out of MIA.

BA777FO

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 pm

The 767 sim is currently being used for pilot recruitment sim assessments and some corporate stuff.

There used to be 4 747 sims and I think that's now down to 3. Not entirely sure what happened to that one, or the 737 sims that went a few years ago too.

zeke

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 am

BA777FO wrote:
The 767 sim is currently being used for pilot recruitment sim assessments and some corporate stuff.

There used to be 4 747 sims and I think that's now down to 3. Not entirely sure what happened to that one, or the 737 sims that went a few years ago too.

Wouldn’t be surprised the get removed to get empty bays for 787 and A350 simulators.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:22 am

BA still offer the public the chance to try one, if you have the cash.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-fr/ba ... tor-public
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

ACMIdriver

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Of the three remaining 747 sims at BA, one is configured as a GE aircraft and is used for a lot of third party training and the 767 was still there last time I visited.

BA777FO

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Of our 3 777 sims 2 are GE and 1 is RR - quite a few airlines use the GE ones, El Al is often in using them.

There's already one A350 sim and I think 2 787 sims now. Although one of those 787s is a Virgin sim that is being housed in TBA that BA has access to I believe. I try and avoid TBA apart from the 2 times a year (for 2 days each) I'm compelled to go!

andrej

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:09 pm

Several airlines (CAL for example) come to London and utilize BA simulators for their training. I don’t anticipate for BA to sell/donate these flight sims yet.

I am glad to know that you can rent it as a member of general public. Same does Lufthansa (including their B748). I presume that DLH’s simulators are all GE equipped.