rikkus67
Topic Author

Dash 8-301 versus 311 MLG question

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:24 am

Production model #1: -301, with upright MLG

Revised -311 revision, with slightly rear-canted landing gear.

Hi All, Rik from the Time Air Historical Society. While doing some study on the Dash 8-300, its been noted that there was a design revision to the Main Landing Gear. This involves a slightly rearward canted stance to the gear. -301 models had the upright, -311's had the angled MLG...

Wondering what caused the change? Moreover, can the landing gear be swapped?

Curious to know the differences.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

strfyr51

Re: Dash 8-301 versus 311 MLG question

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:08 am

rikkus67 wrote:

Production model #1: -301, with upright MLG

Revised -311 revision, with slightly rear-canted landing gear.

Hi All, Rik from the Time Air Historical Society. While doing some study on the Dash 8-300, its been noted that there was a design revision to the Main Landing Gear. This involves a slightly rearward canted stance to the gear. -301 models had the upright, -311's had the angled MLG...

Off hand? I would say they needed to cant the main landing gear aft due to the fuselage length added. I would doubt that the MLG isn't interchangeable with the exception of the Diagonal brace and the main Strut might well be interchangeable between the 2 models I worked on the Dash 7 and that gear looks pretty similar.

VSMUT

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:58 am

rikkus67 wrote:

Well the explanation is on Wikipedia:
In addition, the landing gear design changed to a slightly swept back design intended to prevent tail strikes.

rikkus67
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Does anyone know on the tech side, if the landing gear can be swapped, or were the mounting locations changed?
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

m1m2

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 am

Another reason for the change was to make the 311 less tail heavy than the 301. The 301 had a "pogo" stick that was attached to the rear fuselage while loading baggage, whereas the 311 has no pogo, or attachment point for it.

As for the technical question, while I have never seen it attempted, I would think that the -301 shock strut could be fitted to a -311. The reason I suspect this is that the landing gear shock strut is not directly attached to the nacelle, but rather attached to a yoke that attaches to the nacelle (the shock strut ends about 6" above what you can see in the pictures, the yoke attaches inside the nacelle, right under the wing-about another 3' higher up inside the nacelle). Again, I have never cross-referenced to see if the two aircraft use the same yoke, but they look very much the same. Also, the nacelle on both aircraft is the same.

Having said all this, I doubt it would be legal to make that switch and you'd definitely want to do both sides, or one main wheel would be about a foot in front of the other, pretty sure that would make for some interesting rotations when taking off.

LimaFoxTango

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:59 am

I'm told the change was party due to the fact that under some loading conditions, it was possible for the aircraft to "sit on the tail" ie an aft an desirable CofG. Allegedly, the Dash 8 used a tail prop akin to the ATR 72.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

m1m2

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:29 pm

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the 301 model does have a tail prop, I can't say if it's always used, but I know it's in the cargo hold. The 301 certainly feels more tail heavy/nose light than the 311. When doing a max reverse check on the 301 vs the 311 you feel the nose oleo extend more on the 301.