Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Extra pay for pilots and flight attendants that work the holidays?

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Just a quick question...in general do pilots and flight attendants get extra pay when working during major holidays such as Christmas and New Years Eve and Day?

BA777FO

Re: Extra pay for pilots and flight attendants that work the holidays?

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:48 pm

For us, only on Christmas Day - if our duty ends before midday Christmas Day we get 4 hours overtime, after midday it's 8 hours, including any trip that entirely spans over Christmas Day. Nothing for any other day. It's not great but could be worse.

At least we allocate Christmas work based on a fairness system; each Christmas worked earns a Christmas point, the higher your points the less vulnerable you are to being allocated a Christmas trip or Christmas reserve duty. Most (about 80%) of all Christmas trips are awarded (bid for) with 20% being allocated to those with the fewest Christmas points.

Our overtime rates (and bonus culture in general) are pretty lousy though, it may be more generous elsewhere.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 pm

I don’t think any US contracts pay extra for holidays unless it’s premium pay available year round, like overtime trips. Look at the calendar, erase any thoughts about weekends or holidays, and you’ve got it.

strfyr51

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 pm

wouldn't that depend on the Airline? Working at United I used to see a lot of reserve Captains flying on the Holidays. With the Ground troops also ? the guys who had the day off on their schedule were really happy and those who didn't? Were maybe Less so. I know of all the Holidays I had to work? Thanksgiving weekend was my least favorite to work. I usually had a pile of airplanes,not enough troops and I swore Routing and Maintenance Control Conspired to make my holiday weekend miserable!!
I never had a cakewalk holiday. So much so that I made it my business to NOT be in town For the Holiday if I had the time off,

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 am

It depends on the airline. At my airline, we can bid for Christmas or New Year's off. We will get one of them, hopefully the one we bid for, and if we luck out we might get both off if you're lucky. But it's only the one day. So you might have a flight that blocks on at 2315 on Christmas Eve, still technically giving you Christmas Day off.

We typically get an extra meal allowance if we are working on Christmas or New Year's nights, so if we have more than a minimum layover we have the chance for a little crew celebration downroute.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I don’t think any US contracts pay extra for holidays unless it’s premium pay available year round, like overtime trips. Look at the calendar, erase any thoughts about weekends or holidays, and you’ve got it.

Haha yes. People ask me things like, "are you free on Saturday?" and I will look at them blankly and ask, "what weekday is it today?" because I literally don't know.

When I started at the airline, my wife thought I had a lot of leave days per year. But I pointed out that every one of my leave weeks are seven days, while hers are five days since she has the weekends off automatically.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Lpbri

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:53 am

At some airlines, airport workers (yes, they are part of the airline too) get straight time plus time and a half if they work. If the holiday falls on your day off, your next work day is your holiday. Some people may be granted the holiday off, but they forego the time and a half pay.

Paid holidays for front line employees are very expensive for airlines, which is why there are so few of them. For HQ employees, they get way more holidays, and they don't get the extra pay, just the day off.

BravoOne

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:48 am

Generally speaking, there is no such thing as flight crew holidays in the US airline industry. If this is important to you, you should consider another career path.

unimproved

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 am

Not a pilot but a mechanic. Holidays count as Sundays so double pay. Total gets calculated for the year and gets paid per month.

longhauler

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:42 am

Where I fly, the yearly Federal/Provincial stat holiday allotment, 12 days, are added to your vacation allotment, so you are paid for stat holidays whether worked or not ...... or double time if you do.

If you are laying over Christmas, you are given a J pass for your spouse/SO to accompany you, if you wish.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

VSMUT

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:58 am

Extra pay! :lol:

Big holidays are a nightmare when you are on standby. Too many pilots with children call in sick. It's the same pattern every year.

Max Q

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:09 am

No extra pay on holidays

And calling in sick will be looked at closely

When I had young children at home I always found a way to be home for Christmas, or at least part of the day

Whatever kind of deal it took, even if I lost money, and that wasn’t easy when I was a junior SO on the B727

After my boys left home I worked Christmas every year and would trade to work that day with Pilots that had young children
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

bluecrew

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:26 am

BravoOne wrote:
Generally speaking, there is no such thing as flight crew holidays in the US airline industry. If this is important to you, you should consider another career path.

There's certainly compensation... it depends on your contract. And if there isn't... call the union.
Ours at Brand X is... anemic, but apparently it's being worked on (been hearing that for a long time).

Tartarus

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 am

No extra pay for any holidays.
Considered a normal working day.
I haven't had a Christmas Day off in 4 years. This year I has 1 day off between Christmas Eve and Jan 2nd.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:18 pm

Depends on the contract. In the US, some airlines do pay extra and some don't.
From my cold, dead hands

rjsampson

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:34 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Just a quick question...in general do pilots and flight attendants get extra pay when working during major holidays such as Christmas and New Years Eve and Day?

The answer to OP's question is explained pretty well here:

https://youtu.be/YoZE0nE60sk?t=123
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(

tb727

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 pm

Depends on the airline and contract. Where I am we get $75 if you fly on one of the 4 holidays set in the contract.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Max Q

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 am

One of many good things with working in the Airline business is the regular work week and hours just doesn’t apply

Many people go through the week wishing for Friday and a respite from a job they dislike

Not an issue for airline workers, it’s a 24/7 - 365 day a year enterprise

The only downside is it can be difficult to get the big holidays like Christmas off
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Woodreau

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:26 am

tb727 wrote:
Depends on the airline and contract. Where I am we get $75 if you fly on one of the 4 holidays set in the contract.

Lol... sounds like you’ve been “Spirited.”

So the answer to the OPs question is like all other answers to questions in aviation, “it depends..... on the airline, Or on the OPSPECS, Or. on the contract. Or. On the (fill in the blank here)”

But I do go though life as an airline pilot wondering what day of the week it is, just like I did when I was in the military, because usually I have no idea.

Although in the military it was easy to figure out what day was Sunday because on sundays we got to post the shark watch, and could jump overboard (without ending up at captains mast) and go swimming in the ocean and go fishing over the side.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

TupolevTu154

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:47 am

With my ex-employer in Europe we got nothing extra. No extra pay, no reduced hours, no extra holiday time in lieu. Luckily just by happy coincidence I always had the 24th and 25th of December off in the 8 years I flew for the airline (as FA). There was a heavily reduced flying schedule on the 25th but you could still be called to work from standby, or recover from disruption the day before.

tb727

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

Woodreau wrote:
tb727 wrote:

Lol... sounds like you’ve been “Spirited.”

So the answer to the OPs question is like all other answers to questions in aviation, “it depends..... on the airline, Or on the OPSPECS, Or. on the contract. Or. On the (fill in the blank here)”

But I do go though life as an airline pilot wondering what day of the week it is, just like I did when I was in the military, because usually I have no idea.

Although in the military it was easy to figure out what day was Sunday because on sundays we got to post the shark watch, and could jump overboard (without ending up at captains mast) and go swimming in the ocean and go fishing over the side.

lol you know it!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!