learning2fly
Topic Author

Deferred Medical

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:55 am

Dear Aviation Community,

I applied for a first class medical and it was deferred due to my past but very brief history in my freshmen college year of general anxiety. I have been cleared by all physicians that treated me and do not take any medicine for it at this time. My headaches are resolved as well. I sent all clearance letters also to the FAA as they requested. Do you think I will ever get a 1st class medical with a small past of anxiety ?

Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks !

Max Q

Re: Deferred Medical

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:32 am

Many medical issues can be cleared with a special issuance certificate

It just takes a while, the process is much easier if you have access to an organization like ALPA / AOPA and / or private companies who assist individuals with this process such as Aeromedical Associates

There is a way forward, it’s just a process, for now it’s just been deferred, not denied, these organizations can help so it’s not
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

drmlnr1

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:19 am

Don’t feel too bad, I’m permanently barred because of epilepsy unless a major change happens
Flying is relaxing!

LabQuest

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Imagine not getting a medical because you sought treatment for a common and easily treated illness. This is why people suffer in silence or lie on medicals.

Tartarus

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:49 pm

LabQuest wrote:
Imagine not getting a medical because you sought treatment for a common and easily treated illness. This is why people suffer in silence or lie on medicals.

A cold or epilepsy? Both are common and easily treated.

Tartarus

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:51 pm

learning2fly wrote:
Dear Aviation Community,

I applied for a first class medical and it was deferred due to my past but very brief history in my freshmen college year of general anxiety. I have been cleared by all physicians that treated me and do not take any medicine for it at this time. My headaches are resolved as well. I sent all clearance letters also to the FAA as they requested. Do you think I will ever get a 1st class medical with a small past of anxiety ?

Thanks !

Anxiety over what? That's not enough information.

If college causes you anxiety, then maybe you're not suited to sitting in severe turbulence around a Midwest squall line.

LabQuest

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Tartarus wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

A cold or epilepsy? Both are common and easily treated.

Yes they are.

learning2fly
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:40 am

Max Q wrote:
Many medical issues can be cleared with a special issuance certificate

It just takes a while, the process is much easier if you have access to an organization like ALPA / AOPA and / or private companies who assist individuals with this process such as Aeromedical Associates

There is a way forward, it’s just a process, for now it’s just been deferred, not denied, these organizations can help so it’s not

Hopefully it will not be deferred but if it is I will definitely seek the help of the organizations you mentioned. I did not know that they can help you. Can student pilots join?

learning2fly
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:44 am

Tartarus wrote:
learning2fly wrote:
Dear Aviation Community,

Thanks !

If college causes you anxiety, then maybe you're not suited to sitting in severe turbulence around a Midwest squall line.

It was more of a major in college type issue. My parents forced me to be a premed student for a long time and I always wanted to be a pilot and was having a hard time sleeping due to the high stress in very hard science classes and than not being able to face parents if I did bad in them. However, I decided to sit down with them and have a normal conversation and now they fully support my decision. The reason it went to my doctor was that I told him I am constantly thinking and stressed and he recommended a medication that I took for only a month. Fast forward to now I am 100 % clean off that medication and only took it once. I got clearance from all physicians and sent the papers.

Max Q

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:47 am

learning2fly wrote:
Tartarus wrote:
learning2fly wrote:
Dear Aviation Community,

Thanks !

It was more of a major in college type issue. My parents forced me to be a premed student for a long time and I always wanted to be a pilot and was having a hard time sleeping due to the high stress in very hard science classes and than not being able to face parents if I did bad in them. However, I decided to sit down with them and have a normal conversation and now they fully support my decision. The reason it went to my doctor was that I told him I am constantly thinking and stressed and he recommended a medication that I took for only a month. Fast forward to now I am 100 % clean off that medication and only took it once. I got clearance from all physicians and sent the papers.

I seriously doubt this will be an issue
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

sccutler

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm

There are AMEs who specialize in unusual cases and Special Issuances. You should be working with such an individual to maximize your chances.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...