learning2fly
Topic Author

Shortage and Future

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:48 am

Hi Everyone,

I am currently a private pilot student in a part 141 school in NY and I want to ultimately get all my hours and get to the airlines. However my ultimate dream is to get to the majors. Now there is a lot of noise out there about the pilot shortage and I just wanted get some insight from people around me. Is this shortage expected to last a long time such as 2 years from now when I have my 1500 hours? For someone just starting out do I have a solid chance at a major in the future ?

Thanks!

Woodreau

Re: Shortage and Future

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:56 pm

Based on your posting history and being only 20....

Assuming you can hold a first class medical, you will not have an issue becoming an airline pilot.

There is no pilot shortage. The regional airlines in the US will hire anyone with 1500 hours and a pulse.

Since you are 20 there probably won’t be any issue getting to the next step after a regional airline... whether it be a Major LCC or cargo airline - it’s just a matter of when - for some it takes longer than others

But I am now flying with 319/320/321 FOs who 5 years ago had zero flight time and didn’t have a pilot certificate. They went to school, got their pilot certificate, graduated did a year or two at a regional and now they’re on a 320.

One step at a time, and even though you may have your sights set on United, the path actually travelled doesn’t actually turn out the way you envisioned, but you do just as well.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

WPvsMW

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:08 am

OP, baseball players in the minor leagues take the first offer they receive from a major league team, because then know they may never see a second offer. That said, if life has no meaning without a UA uniform, take your 1500 hours, and pulse, to one of UA's eight regionals.

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 am

WPvsMW wrote:
OP, baseball players in the minor leagues take the first offer they receive from a major league team, because then know they may never see a second offer. That said, if life has no meaning without a UA uniform, take your 1500 hours, and pulse, to one of UA's eight regionals.

This is a good strategy. The first job is the hardest one to get, so don't throw away a solid offer for a "maybe" somewhere you'd rather be. Once you have landed that first job, work hard, stay out of trouble, and don't constantly talk about how you only took this job to build enough experience to apply for a "real airline". ;)

You never know what opportunities or troubles are hurtling towards you from an uncertain future. Having an income, even if comparatively small, is better than not having one.

On another note, you can get jobs outside North America with a CPL and far less than 1500 hours. Some years down the line, you can then either continue an expat career or apply for a job "back home". You will also have gained some valuable life experience, which is valuable both from a personal perspective, and when applying for a job. There are lots of factors to consider, but in essence, this is another variant of what WPvsMW is pointing out. Is it better to take that first job offer abroad, even if you don't really want to move, or to stay at home and pay to build hours, uncertain if you will even make it into a commuter airline once you have enough experience to apply?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

VSMUT

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
On another note, you can get jobs outside North America with a CPL and far less than 1500 hours. Some years down the line, you can then either continue an expat career or apply for a job "back home". You will also have gained some valuable life experience, which is valuable both from a personal perspective, and when applying for a job. There are lots of factors to consider, but in essence, this is another variant of what WPvsMW is pointing out. Is it better to take that first job offer abroad, even if you don't really want to move, or to stay at home and pay to build hours, uncertain if you will even make it into a commuter airline once you have enough experience to apply?

I never understood why more Americans don't do this. You could skip half the low/un-paid hour building and go for 737 or A320 time instead.

Flow2706

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:03 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

I never understood why more Americans don't do this. You could skip half the low/un-paid hour building and go for 737 or A320 time instead.

And working abroad is certainly a valuable experience. My first airline Job was in Indonesia which was amazing. I worked for different airlines since then in various countries (actually one of them back home in Germany) - at the moment I am working for an European ACMI airline, which has its challenges but the great part is actually getting around and seeing different parts of the world (at the moment I am in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, working an ACMI project for a couple of months for one of the local airlines here, it's great fun...).

My situation is obviously slight different from yours as I am originally from Europe,but I would also suggest trying to get your first job abroad. It's a truly amazing experience.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:55 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

First, most Americans don’t know about those opportunities like bush flying in Africa, Maun comes to mind. Second, for anything like B737 or A320 flying they’d have to be a local or have right to work in that nation. Third, they do—it’s called Alaska here.

VSMUT

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

First, most Americans don’t know about those opportunities like bush flying in Africa, Maun comes to mind. Second, for anything like B737 or A320 flying they’d have to be a local or have right to work in that nation. Third, they do—it’s called Alaska here.

In my own experience, bush flying in Africa is reserved for locals. It is 737/A320 flying I am on about. I know a few who went to fly in south west Asia on the Airbus. Ryanair had a hiring program for pilots from South America. Definitely not impossible.

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:43 pm

As VSMUT says, there are carriers, for example in Asia, who hire non-local CPLs with a few hundred hours to fly mainline jets. Even widebodies. Many of these countries have very limited local general aviation, and airlines can only find so many suitable local zero time candidates.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Flow2706

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:34 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

I am from Europe and I got my first job on an A320 in Indonesia and I know many people who did the same, so it is definitely possible. Maybe not in Indonesia anymore (they introduced a new rule shortly after I joined, they introduced a requirement of 250 hours on type for foreigners...but this is some time ago now, maybe it was removed again since then), but there are a lot of other countries around where it should be possible to get a job without much experience.