Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mimicboy
Topic Author

Cargo Freighters operating cost comparison

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 am

I do really appreciate it if you can tell me your ideas on which model of cargo freighters will have the cheapest operating cost per kilo (kg) for a flight which is five hours and three hours? I guess B777F will be cheaper due to low fuel consumption and cargo capacity? Thank you very much. Rgds

VSMUT

Re: Cargo Freighters operating cost comparison

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:16 am

An ATR 72. Just takes forever to get your cargo anywhere.

mimicboy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:02 am

what if we need at least 40 - 55 tons freighter? can a midrange freighter could be cheaper than widebody (b747-b777) in kg base?

VSMUT

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:52 am

There are just too many variables to say. Fuel cost is a minor one. Russian, Ukrainian, Moldovan and Belorussian outfits can operate with competitive prices using An-12s and Il-76s, because they can cut the wages, maintenance and other costs to practically nothing. 40 tons over your 3 hour flight (I assume 3 jet hours) will take something like 6 ATR-72s, for a total of around 22 tons of fuel. A single 777 will burn 20,5 tons. But a US 777 crew will be taking easily 6 times the salary of an ATR pilot, require much more expensive accomodation and onboard catering. Landing fees will be higher. Loading and offloading requires special equipment (vs just backing a flatbed up to the cargo door on the ATR). The 777F is really expensive, so needs to be depreciated. ATR freighters are dirt cheap and long since paid off. Is it a one-off charter or a daily flight? Can the cargo wait a day and be pooled together for one flight? What is the volume?

In practice, you would contact an agent who solicits bids from operators offering capacity. You could end up with a lowest bid on anything from a Turkish A300 to a 747 from a US airline.

unimproved

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:13 pm

Lease cost vs utilization is the big one. A 777 might have lower fuel burn but that doesn't weigh up against the extra non-operating costs when it's only in the air for less than 30 hours a week.

There's a reason a lot of cargo airlines are picking 747s out of the desert.

mimicboy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:40 am

We are operating from Hong Kong to New Delhi x3 ( 5hours) and Dhaka x2 ( 3 hours) per week, in charter base with b747F but the problem is the cargo market is in recession and there is huge competition to those markets from hong kong makes the price per kg very low that we can't compete for anymore ( we cant fill up F747F as it is 105 tons capacity with high rates if I sell cheaper in order to fill up we lose huge money), so we are looking smaller freighter and if possible less cost, it might be B767-300F or B767-200F, A300-600, even A330F can be, but I already contacted to a Turkish company to ask A300-600 they told me no availability, I'm looking an aviation company or airline who has those kinds of freighters and doesn't have enough flying hours so that might give us a cheaper cost so both sides doesn't lose too much money, we can give 12 flights per week, I check B747-800, it is very nice as the cargo capacity is 125 tons per kg cost is very low, but cant take the having risk of no show cargo, but i will try to check IL 76, of course ULD utilization also important for us,

tu204

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:08 am

mimicboy wrote:
We are operating from Hong Kong to New Delhi x3 ( 5hours) and Dhaka x2 ( 3 hours) per week, in charter base with b747F but the problem is the cargo market is in recession and there is huge competition to those markets from hong kong makes the price per kg very low that we can't compete for anymore ( we cant fill up F747F as it is 105 tons capacity with high rates if I sell cheaper in order to fill up we lose huge money), so we are looking smaller freighter and if possible less cost, it might be B767-300F or B767-200F, A300-600, even A330F can be, but I already contacted to a Turkish company to ask A300-600 they told me no availability, I'm looking an aviation company or airline who has those kinds of freighters and doesn't have enough flying hours so that might give us a cheaper cost so both sides doesn't lose too much money, we can give 12 flights per week, I check B747-800, it is very nice as the cargo capacity is 125 tons per kg cost is very low, but cant take the having risk of no show cargo, but i will try to check IL 76, of course ULD utilization also important for us,

Try contacting Belorussian outfits with IL76's.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov