Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a340guy
Topic Author

Il-96 Landing Gear Question

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 pm

We don’t hear a ton about Russian built airliners anymore as they are being phased out across the globe. I came across a couple of news articles regarding issues with the IL-96 landing gear/braking system in 2005. Does the IL-96 have any kind of autobrakes or automatic braking system? It seems like it should as nearly every large western airliner built over the last 40 years or so has them and this aircraft was a Russian attempt to compete with the west. If so, where is the switch located in the cockpit? Is it equipped with carbon brakes or standard brakes?

WIederling

Re: Il-96 Landing Gear Question

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:49 pm

you mean anti skid :-?
or break to vacate ?
Murphy is an optimist

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:54 am

WIederling wrote:
or break to vacate ?

I think antiskid is a given.

I think the OP meant autobrake. The Il-96 was designed well before brake to vacate systems.

Looking at some cockpit pics, the three buttons above the landing gear lever would seem a logical place for autobrake selection. Just a guess, though.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

a340guy
Topic Author

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
WIederling wrote:
or break to vacate ?

I think the OP meant autobrake. The Il-96 was designed well before brake to vacate systems.

Looking at some cockpit pics, the three buttons above the landing gear lever would seem a logical place for autobrake selection. Just a guess, though.

I am referring to Autobrake. I looked at some cockpit photos as well, and I think the three buttons above the gear lever are actually position indicator lights similar to those in most Airbus cockpits. Not totally sure though. Cubana was the only airline that has English language cockpits, and not many close-up photos exist.

Starlionblue

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:03 am

a340guy wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
WIederling wrote:
or break to vacate ?

I am referring to Autobrake. I looked at some cockpit photos as well, and I think the three buttons above the gear lever are actually position indicator lights similar to those in most Airbus cockpits. Not totally sure though. Cubana was the only airline that has English language cockpits, and not many close-up photos exist.

I am pretty certain that the position indicator lights are the ones to the left of the gear lever. If nothing else, the Il-96 has four gear legs so needs four lights.

You can see it rather clearly here. At a guess, the two indicators under the gear lever might be brake pressure.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Max Q

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 am

No small fans in front of the pilots like many Russian aircraft?!
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Max Q wrote:

Having riden in one as pax, I’d think pilots would like the fans during the interminable take-off roll. And that was at Moscow in April, heavens how you’d sweat that roll on a hot day.

GF

mark1484

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:07 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Having riden in one as pax, I’d think pilots would like the fans during the interminable take-off roll. And that was at Moscow in April, heavens how you’d sweat that roll on a hot day.

GF

The pilots air vents are built into the cockpit if you look closely, next to the main LED screens.

tu204

Tue May 05, 2020 5:28 am

Kinda late answer, but yes, both T204 and IL9 have anti-skid and autobrakes. Similar to what you have on western airliners.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov