d10899748
Topic Author

How to read a cargo tag

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:00 pm

I received a package via USPS Priority Mail that was shipped from New York to Seattle. Besides the normal postage label the box had tag similar to a luggage tag, and this isn't the first time I've received a package with the same sort of label.

I'm not sure what kind of PII is in the barcode, so I don't want to post it, but I'm curious as to whom applied the label and how I can figure out the exact flight(s) the package took purely to satisfy my curiosity.

There are two barcodes, the top of which I believe has the package's uniqe ID (12 digits alphanumeric)

The next lines are:
JFK -> FX  8L SEA
WGT: 004  TOTAL: 06448
AR: SEA AT 07:00 BETHMSW 03
LV: JFK AT 05:10 01/04/20

Underneath that is the airport code (SEA) and my zip code (not the same as the airport's).

I know WGT is weight, and understand Leave and Arrive, but the arrival code is a mystery.

The package picked up on Jan 3rd and delivered the 6th. There are no nonstop flights between JFK and SEA on either day that match that timeframe, and I don't know how else you could get there in 5 hours.

FedEx certainly flies out of both airports, but doesn't have any flights between the two. And certainly Cargo Plus (IATA 8L) doesn't apply here!?

Starlionblue

Re: How to read a cargo tag

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:50 am

Just guessing but 8L might be the loading position on the aircraft. Don't know bout BETHMSW.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

jetblueguy22

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:21 am

It was carried on FX for sure.

At least for the other guys, USPS tenders the mail to us in AM, we either build containers to the final destination if there is a significant amount (So JFK may build a container to SEA which then just transfers aircraft in the connecting hub), or we build a "mixed" can where they have to sort it at the hub and then reloaded. It is then tendered back to the USPS in the PM when it arrives at the destination.

Cargo moves a lot like passengers. Spoke -> Hub -> Spoke. Just a lot more concentrated than most passenger operations.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

WPvsMW

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:24 am

I suspect BETHMSW 03 is a sort code for humans. Is that string also in text on the FX barcode label?
The bacode label infoms the scanners (computers).
BETHMSW 03 could also be a free text field called "trading partner data", but that is usually on a shipper generated bar code label.

Canuck600

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 pm

Time looks like they are using the 24 hour clock so just google 24 hour clock

d10899748
Topic Author

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:35 am

Canuck600 wrote:
Time looks like they are using the 24 hour clock so just google 24 hour clock
Thank you, Captain Obvious. I noted the time difference in the original post so I think it's pretty clear I know how to use a regular clock.

There's a pic coming, but it's stuck in moderation.

Canuck600

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:43 am

Sorry I'm having a pain filled day & I misread it, no need to be a jack ass with your reply.