sho69607
Topic Author

Questions about the CRJ series

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:13 am

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the CRJ700/900 aircraft.

1.) How does the climb performance of the smaller -700 compare to -900? I have heard both these aircraft far out perform the CRJ2.

2.) Since the CRJ does not have autothrottle, does it get annoying having to constantly adjust power to maintain cruise speed? Or does the aircraft usually hold its speed relatively well in calm weather conditions?

3.) Cockpit noise: How is the noise level upfront? The 737 holds the standard as one of the loudest flight decks of any commercial airliner, but how does the CRJ series compare? Being that the engines are way in the back, I can imagine it is pretty quiet upfront.

Starlionblue

Re: Questions about the CRJ series

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:32 am

2) Autothrust is on many (most?) airliners is deferrable by MEL. It really isn't that annoying. The aircraft thrust doesn't need to be constantly changed.

You accept some fluctuation due to changing environmentals but autothrust does the same thing in "soft cruise". Altitude is held by the autopilot so speed will automatically stabilise back to the target. The speed trend arrow makes things easier as well.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Woodreau

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:29 am

The CRJ-700 uses derated CRJ-900 engines. But the thrust to weight ratio of the -700 is greater than for the -900, so the -700 has a little better performance.

I don’t remember adjusting power very often in cruise. You just set the thrust levers to the max cruise donuts on the EICAS and the aircraft settles in at M0.83 and that’s what we flew at cruise.

Noise level is mostly airflow noise. You do hear the engines when applying takeoff thrust, but once you get to cruise there isn’t much noise from the engines.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

VSMUT

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:49 am

sho69607 wrote:
2.) Since the CRJ does not have autothrottle, does it get annoying having to constantly adjust power to maintain cruise speed? Or does the aircraft usually hold its speed relatively well in calm weather conditions?

I don't fly the CRJ yet, but I do fly another airplane without autothrottle. In cruise we just set the power at certain power setting. We don't fly according to a specific speed while in cruise. My guess is they do the same.

LCDFlight

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:03 am

Not a pilot, but I will point out virtually all scheduled flights to/from ASE (Aspen, CO) are CR7. All flights I checked to SLC, DEN, ORD, IAH, DFW, LAX, SFO, MSP are on CR7. It has a meaningful edge over the CR9 to get in and out of Aspen.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Woodreau wrote:
The CRJ-700 uses derated CRJ-900 engines. But the thrust to weight ratio of the -700 is greater than for the -900, so the -700 has a little better performance.

I don’t remember adjusting power very often in cruise. You just set the thrust levers to the max cruise donuts on the EICAS and the aircraft settles in at M0.83 and that’s what we flew at cruise.

Noise level is mostly airflow noise. You do hear the engines when applying takeoff thrust, but once you get to cruise there isn’t much noise from the engines.

Wow, we didn’t even fly the 605 faster than M.80; can’t imagine what the burns were like at .83.

Alias1024

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:24 pm

1) Climb performance is a little better for the 700 than the 900. Both far outperform the 200. The 200 wimps out in the mid-20s.

2) Holds speed pretty well. We usually cruised around .77 Mach in the 700/900 for economy. Perhaps a little tweaking here and there as atmospheric conditions changed.

3) Noise isn’t as bad as the 737. Loudest were early build 200s with the fat, round windshield wiper arms. Lots of wind noise from those. Newer 200s were actually quieter than the 700/900 for two reasons. First, we cruised at .74 so less wind noise. Second, avionics cooling fans were quieter in the 200.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Woodreau

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:35 am

[list=][/list]
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Wow, we didn’t even fly the 605 faster than M.80; can’t imagine what the burns were like at .83.

Cruise at M0.83 burned around 3000-3200 lbs/hr.

Dispatch usually planned us at M0.79 but at M0.79 you were constantly adjusting the thrust levers to maintain M0.79. We just set thrust to the MAX CRZ donut because it was set it and forget it and the plane just settled at M0.83.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.