xms3200
Topic Author

777-9 has no red beacon light on top of fuselage.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:55 pm

I noticed with the recent taxi tests of the 777-9 at Paine Field, Boeing has not installed an upper beacon light on top of the fuselage that has existed since airliners came into existence. The lower beacon light is now LED as well as the strobes and taxi and landing lights. Any reason why Boeing omitted the upper beacon light?

blacksoviet

Re: 777-9 has no red beacon light on top of fuselage.

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:10 am

Why would they convert the beacon light to LED?

tommy1808

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:36 am

blacksoviet wrote:

LEDs are essentially maintenance free, and may last the whole useful life of the aircraft?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

fr8mech

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:15 am

tommy1808 wrote:
LEDs are essentially maintenance free, and may last the whole useful life of the aircraft?

best regards
Thomas

From our -8 AMM:

The controller has an built-in End-Of-Life (EOL) timer. LED lights degrade slowly over time until they no longer produce enough light to meet their intended function. This is the EOL. The EOL timer sets the strobe light OFF automatically after 40,000 hours. When the LEDs get to the EOL timer, they are set OFF and disabled when the system power goes OFF. You cannot reset the EOL timer.

xms3200 wrote:
Boeing has not installed an upper beacon light on top of the fuselage

If this photo is accurate, there is a beacon installed.

http://cdn.planespotters.net/18319/n779 ... 076f_o.jpg

Though, it appears to be absent here:

http://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/stat ... 93/photo/1
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:47 am

fr8mech wrote:

The top one looks like a wind sock upon zoom. That is not to say there is not one there, though. . .
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

fr8mech

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:03 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
The top one looks like a wind sock upon zoom. That is not to say there is not one there, though. . .

Yeah, you're right.

14CFR25.1401:

(a) General. The airplane must have an anticollision light system that -

(1) Consists of one or more approved anticollision lights located so that their light will not impair the crew's vision or detract from the conspicuity of the position lights; and

(2) Meets the requirements of paragraphs (b) through (f) of this section.

(b) Field of coverage. The system must consist of enough lights to illuminate the vital areas around the airplane considering the physical configuration and flight characteristics of the airplane. The field of coverage must extend in each direction within at least 75 degrees above and 75 degrees below the horizontal plane of the airplane, except that a solid angle or angles of obstructed visibility totaling not more than 0.03 steradians is allowable within a solid angle equal to 0.15 steradians centered about the longitudinal axis in the rearward direction.

(c) Flashing characteristics. The arrangement of the system, that is, the number of light sources, beam width, speed of rotation, and other characteristics, must give an effective flash frequency of not less than 40, nor more than 100 cycles per minute. The effective flash frequency is the frequency at which the airplane's complete anticollision light system is observed from a distance, and applies to each sector of light including any overlaps that exist when the system consists of more than one light source. In overlaps, flash frequencies may exceed 100, but not 180 cycles per minute.

(d) Color. Each anticollision light must be either aviation red or aviation white and must meet the applicable requirements of § 25.1397.

xms3200
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:51 pm

That is the red wind sock in that pic. Will have to wait for the test flight to see.

767333ER

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:53 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Tell my city that when they replaced the streetlights with those nasty dim low temperature LEDs and they’re now all burning out! :lol:

Really though for this they are better for maintenance and they also seem to illuminate better or more consistently.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:10 pm

fr8mech wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Yeah, you're right.

FWIW, I think you are right. I do not see a beacon on the top in the live feed...
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

DanniS

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:41 am

tommy1808 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Now, maybe it's a coincidence, but GE's LED light bulbs are apparently supposed to last for 7 years of standard usage. You'll maybe get six months out of a bulb.

There might be LEDs which last that long, but they'd be ridiculously expensive.

tommy1808

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:03 am

DanniS wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Now, maybe it's a coincidence, but GE's LED light bulbs are apparently supposed to last for 7 years of standard usage. You'll maybe get six months out of a bulb.

Even 10$ vanilla household LED last 5 years in 24/7 operation, so probably not the LED in itself that makes trouble.

fr8mech wrote:
From our -8 AMM:

The controller has an built-in End-Of-Life (EOL) timer. LED lights degrade slowly over time until they no longer produce enough light to meet their intended function. This is the EOL. The EOL timer sets the strobe light OFF automatically after 40,000 hours. When the LEDs get to the EOL timer, they are set OFF and disabled when the system power goes OFF. You cannot reset the EOL timer.

40k hours sounds reasonable.

767333ER wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Tell my city that when they replaced the streetlights with those nasty dim low temperature LEDs and they’re now all burning out! :lol:

Really though for this they are better for maintenance and they also seem to illuminate better or more consistently.

The LEDs are likely perfectly fine, but the AC/DC bit connecting it to the grid may be rubbish/burned up. While LEDs are about us reliable as the chips in your computer, just as those they are sensitive to beyond spec voltage. When LEDs fail, its almost always the electronics around them. I guess your city simply tried to safe a buck too much.... stupid customers

best regards
Thomas

B6JFKH81

Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:02 pm

fr8mech wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Yeah, you're right.

14CFR25.1401:

(a) General. The airplane must have an anticollision light system that -

(1) Consists of one or more approved anticollision lights located so that their light will not impair the crew's vision or detract from the conspicuity of the position lights; and

(2) Meets the requirements of paragraphs (b) through (f) of this section.

(b) Field of coverage. The system must consist of enough lights to illuminate the vital areas around the airplane considering the physical configuration and flight characteristics of the airplane. The field of coverage must extend in each direction within at least 75 degrees above and 75 degrees below the horizontal plane of the airplane, except that a solid angle or angles of obstructed visibility totaling not more than 0.03 steradians is allowable within a solid angle equal to 0.15 steradians centered about the longitudinal axis in the rearward direction.

(c) Flashing characteristics. The arrangement of the system, that is, the number of light sources, beam width, speed of rotation, and other characteristics, must give an effective flash frequency of not less than 40, nor more than 100 cycles per minute. The effective flash frequency is the frequency at which the airplane's complete anticollision light system is observed from a distance, and applies to each sector of light including any overlaps that exist when the system consists of more than one light source. In overlaps, flash frequencies may exceed 100, but not 180 cycles per minute.

(d) Color. Each anticollision light must be either aviation red or aviation white and must meet the applicable requirements of § 25.1397.

Based on this, I cannot see how it cannot have a crown beacon. The angles alone would not allow it. This seems strange to me because all the videos I have seen had no upper beacon but I was able to see lower beacons (which normally flash at the same time on the Boeing's). Can anyone confirm if this aircaft has an upper beacon?
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

fr8mech

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:11 pm

B6JFKH81 wrote:

Based on this, I cannot see how it cannot have a crown beacon. The angles alone would not allow it. This seems strange to me because all the videos I have seen had no upper beacon but I was able to see lower beacons (which normally flash at the same time on the Boeing's). Can anyone confirm if this aircaft has an upper beacon?

It’s quite possible that the white anti-collision lights at the wingtips fulfill the requirements.

Normally, the white, wingtip anti-collision lights are annoying, harsh and blinding. But, I’ve noticed, on our -8’s, the LEDs, while bright, are just flashing lights. They aren’t nearly as harsh as the strobes. Maybe Boeing deleted the upper light because the wingtip anti-collision lights suffice, and can be used at all times the red beacons can be used.

Then again, this aircraft is an “experimental” and different rules, probably, apply. The production models may well have the light.

snasteve

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:10 am

767333ER wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

best regards
Thomas

If your cities LED lights look “nasty and dim”, there’s something wrong somewhere. The problem though it’s not with LEDs the technology is sound and in my neighborhood they look great. Your city should call my city.

xms3200
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:21 pm

Back to the original thread about the 777-9 not having an upper beacon light please!!!!

767333ER

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:11 pm

snasteve wrote:
767333ER wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

If your cities LED lights look “nasty and dim”, there’s something wrong somewhere. The problem though it’s not with LEDs the technology is sound and in my neighborhood they look great. Your city should call my city.

Well LEDs are great on planes, cars, and on screens and they can be great anywhere. It’s all about the temperate of light. Where I live they started to replace the high pressure sodium bulbs a few years ago for pure white LED which are considerably dimmer (they claim they can be because our eyes can more efficiently perceive that colour). This dimmer light is where they are more efficient as otherwise HPS is about as efficient. Now I’ve seen recently the replacements for some of the older burnt LEDs or just newer ones in general have a more yellow tint (warmer temperature) to them and are a bit brighter. These ones are much better as the temperature is more pleasing to the eye and they’re brighter so they actually illuminate the surroundings which is much safer.

Since the LEDs on plane are green or red or are not made to illuminate a large area they are great because it’s easier to make a consistent colour and brightness. That the 777-9 doesn’t seem to have one on the upper portion of the fuselage is rather interesting. I really wonder why this is.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

Max Q

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:51 am

Has anyone considered that the upper anti collision light just wasn’t working?

Looking at the videos I’m pretty sure I can see it, it just wasn’t flashing

Makes no sense this upper light would be deleted as it’s an essential piece of safety equipment, it’s not only there to provide maximum visibility of the aircraft but also for ground personnel it’s always on when engines are running or their operation is imminent
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

xms3200
Topic Author

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:31 pm

There is a good possibility that it is indeed inop, however on overnight maintenance, technicians turn on all the lights and check them, the red beacons are very noticeable, especially when burnt out. Only time will tell………… either the Boeing techs. fix the upper beacon if they notice it, or we have to wait for the second 777-9 to do a taxi test to see if Boeing did indeed eliminate the upper beacon.

Deepgreen

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:56 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

best regards
Thomas

I thought LEDs were pretty much maintenance-free too, but the large number of cars I have seen with failed LED light clusters has made me re-think that.

planecane

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:14 am

DanniS wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

best regards
Thomas

The issue that leads to LED bulb failures tends to be a combination of cheap components and heat dissipation issues. They are trying to cram everything into the size and shape of an incandescent bulb and have it cost only a few dollars.

A custom designed fixture for an airliner should have a failure rate that is much lower. Mostly it is due to being able to design ideal heat dissipation.

tommy1808

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:42 am

planecane wrote:
DanniS wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

The issue that leads to LED bulb failures tends to be a combination of cheap components and heat dissipation issues. They are trying to cram everything into the size and shape of an incandescent bulb and have it cost only a few dollars.

A custom designed fixture for an airliner should have a failure rate that is much lower. Mostly it is due to being able to design ideal heat dissipation.

Oh, you can design that everywhere properly. Aviation is just one of the areas where you can usually rely on finding someone paying for the effort. Same in my industry. .... some customers are smart, or my parts make just a tiny bit of BOM cost, but are crucial to operation, and shell out for quality, others cut corners where ever they can... and pay with RMA rates later.

best regards
Thomas

Max Q

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:14 am

Is there an answer to this question yet ?!

GGg

xms3200
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Seems like we will have to wait to see the second 777-9 videos to come up with a conclusion....that is after reading all about city lights, evolution of LED's and other unrelated stuff.

zeke

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm

Max Q wrote:
Is there an answer to this question yet ?!

Maybe they just installed it on the inside of the skin to reduce drag and make it easier to change the LED once every 40,000 hrs ;)

On a more serious note I think I saw it on the first flight video when the wing tips were folded down between the satcom antenna and the VHF antenna.

I was looking out to see how they met the lighting requirements in the special condition for the wing tip.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

xms3200
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Looks like there is something up there between the VHF antenna and the Sat Com, but after watching all the 777-9 videos, it does not seem to be operating...either burnt out or something else. Can't wait for the videos of the second 777-9 to surface!!!

dcs921

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:56 pm

I watched some of last year's taxi test videos and I did not see an upper beacon flashing in any of the videos I watched.

zeke

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:02 am

dcs921 wrote:
I watched some of last year's taxi test videos and I did not see an upper beacon flashing in any of the videos I watched.

I was also looking at the wing tip lights, they seem
to be very dim as well.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

N766UA

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Cameras, particularly videos, dont always pick up lights as you’d see them in real life. Is it possible it’s flashing, but the refresh rate/frequency of the camera filming it (or whatever) is just missing it?

xms3200
Topic Author

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:12 pm

Seems like the cameras pick up the lower red beacon light just fine....unless the upper beacon flashes at a different rate which is highly unlikely.

Caryjack

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:46 am

zeke wrote:
dcs921 wrote:

I was also looking at the wing tip lights, they seem
to be very dim as well.

When I stop by PAE the first thing I look for is a flashing beacon along the flight line. They're easy to spot and it tells me that that airplane is going to do something: I should stick around.

On first first flight day of the B-779 I was a bit confused because I saw no flashing beacon anywhere on the flight line. I didn't know which airplane was to fly until I saw it move, but there was still no top beacon. As aircraft emerged from behind the berm and turned directly toward me I could see the bright red lower beacon and the wing tip lights. The wing tip lights seemed small but pinpoint like. There was no top beacon.

As the aircraft taxied back down the runway (flight cancelled due to tail wind) it was odd seeing the wing tip lights so far inboard (wing tips deployed).

The second first flight day was sunny and the wing tip lights looked a little smaller. There was no top beacon.

I'd also say that the dimensions on this aircraft make the MLG look ordinary.

Thanks,
Cary

bikerthai

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:17 pm

If one trusts Wiki the top light is a beacon light and is supposed to let ground personnel and other ground aircraft know that the plane is powered and engine is running. Perhaps the lower light was sufficient.

If the wing tip lights are flashing, is the flash rate similar to the lower strobe? With LED being programmable, no reason why one light can't have multiple function.

Just speculating here.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

DrPaul

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Having seen many 787s go into and out of Heathrow, I've noticed that several have not had the ventral red beacon flashing (as I am looking up at them I can't tell if the dorsal light is flashing), whilst others have not had the white tail lights (one on either side) flashing. Although I've noticed various lights not working on other Boeing planes and on Airbus planes, this is (or at least seems to be) less frequent than lights not flashing on 787s.

BravoOne

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Both the 787-8 & -9 have anti collision light emitting diodes that are red. Thhe switch which is located on the overhead is either ON or OFF There is no in alternate selection.

Gingersnap

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm

DrPaul wrote:
Having seen many 787s go into and out of Heathrow, I've noticed that several have not had the ventral red beacon flashing (as I am looking up at them I can't tell if the dorsal light is flashing), whilst others have not had the white tail lights (one on either side) flashing. Although I've noticed various lights not working on other Boeing planes and on Airbus planes, this is (or at least seems to be) less frequent than lights not flashing on 787s.

I believe the 787 beacon (along with other types) has a failure mode which forces the beacon to remain a steady red.

Although sometimes it remains a steady red but also brighten as per the normal cycle as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ipI5HqaKfY
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

Starlionblue

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:10 pm

bikerthai wrote:
If one trusts Wiki the top light is a beacon light and is supposed to let ground personnel and other ground aircraft know that the plane is powered and engine is running. Perhaps the lower light was sufficient.

If the wing tip lights are flashing, is the flash rate similar to the lower strobe? With LED being programmable, no reason why one light can't have multiple function.

Just speculating here.

bt

On a widebody, I think the bottom light should do it. Clearly visible. The top one would not be visible to ground personnel standing by the nosewheel.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

DrPaul

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Gingersnap wrote:
I believe the 787 beacon (along with other types) has a failure mode which forces the beacon to remain a steady red. Although sometimes it remains a steady red but also brighten as per the normal cycle as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ipI5HqaKfY

I've not seen a 787 where that happens, as on the clip. With the ones I've seen, the ventral red light doesn't either flash or stay on all the time, it's just not going at all. I can't see the top of the fuselage, so I can't tell if the dorsal light is working. I've also seen on the odd occasion a 787 where the twin tail lights aren't flashing but there are two very dim white lights in their stead.

I guess we'll all have to wait a couple of years to see whether 777-9s behave in the same way as the 787 in respect of their lights, as they won't be in service for a while.

I've also noticed that a few 737NGs have the slow flashing white wingtip lights à la the 737MAXs (and 787s), rather than the usual strobes.

Gingersnap

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:21 pm

DrPaul wrote:
Gingersnap wrote:
I believe the 787 beacon (along with other types) has a failure mode which forces the beacon to remain a steady red. Although sometimes it remains a steady red but also brighten as per the normal cycle as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ipI5HqaKfY

I've not seen a 787 where that happens, as on the clip. With the ones I've seen, the ventral red light doesn't either flash or stay on all the time, it's just not going at all. I can't see the top of the fuselage, so I can't tell if the dorsal light is working. I've also seen on the odd occasion a 787 where the twin tail lights aren't flashing but there are two very dim white lights in their stead.

I guess we'll all have to wait a couple of years to see whether 777-9s behave in the same way as the 787 in respect of their lights, as they won't be in service for a while.

I've also noticed that a few 737NGs have the slow flashing white wingtip lights à la the 737MAXs (and 787s), rather than the usual strobes.

Yes, later builds came out with LED strobes and LED light clusters in the wing root, in replacement of the landing lights and taxi/turn off lights. The belly extending lights were also deleted when they were added. They're available as a retrofit too I believe. The landing light switches are also changed out in the cockpit, from the typical 4 to just 2 with the gangbar also removed.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

xms3200
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Any Boeing technicians who work the flight line on this forum...after 4 weeks, no answer to this burning question...all it takes is someone to notice whether there is an upper red beacon light flashing...newer tech 737 LED light inputs, LED evolution technology, 787 LED lights ...all no help... simple seeing and posting on this forum HELPS!!!

BravoOne

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:01 pm

xms3200 wrote:
Any Boeing technicians who work the flight line on this forum...after 4 weeks, no answer to this burning question...all it takes is someone to notice whether there is an upper red beacon light flashing...newer tech 737 LED light inputs, LED evolution technology, 787 LED lights ...all no help... simple seeing and posting on this forum HELPS!!!

I answered it for you right here. If you don't understnd what was written I can't help you.

Both the 787-8 & -9 have anti collision light emitting diodes that are red. Thhe switch which is located on the overhead is either ON or OFF There is no in alternate selection.

xms3200
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks Bravo One for the reply on switch position which is absolutely not what I have been asking about for the last 4 weeks.....Let me try the question again....all Boeings have and upper and a lower flashing red beacon light. Does the 777-9 have an upper red flashing beacon light...the reason this is being asked is on all the you tube videos, no upper beacon was noticed. So as you can see, switch position does not answer any questions.

BravoOne

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:04 pm

Yes there is an upper and lower red beacon light. They are both controlled by the same single switch. It is a push switch as opposed to a toggling switch and located on the P5 overhead panel.

Hope that helps:)

xms3200
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:22 pm

Thanks, that answers the question.

bikerthai

Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:02 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Yes there is an upper and lower red beacon light. They are both controlled by the same single switch. It is a push switch as opposed to a toggling switch and located on the P5 overhead panel.

Right then we are all wondering why we did not see the dorsal light on the first flight.

You can clearly see the belly light reflecting off the tarmac.

Has the light design change? As any dorsal beacon light was hard to find in any close up videos.

Some Boeing rendering suggests it's in the same relative position as the 777-300. But surely all our collective eyes would have spotted it if it was there.

bt

BravoOne

Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:10 pm

bikerthai wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Right then we are all wondering why we did not see the dorsal light on the first flight.

You can clearly see the belly light reflecting off the tarmac.

Has the light design change? As any dorsal beacon light was hard to find in any close up videos.

Some Boeing rendering suggests it's in the same relative position as the 777-300. But surely all our collective eyes would have spotted it if it was there.

bt

Sorry I can't tell you what you did, or did not see? I'm just telling you how it is designed and built.

johnclipper

Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:01 pm

and still no one answers the question if N779XW has a red beacon on top...
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

BravoOne

Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:27 pm

johnclipper wrote:
and still no one answers the question if N779XW has a red beacon on top...

Yes, there is a beacon on the top and bottom. Feel better now? Only on a.net!

Max Q

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:10 am

If there is it’s well hidden, I don’t think there is an upper beacon

GGg

xms3200
Topic Author

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:33 am

Keep your cool A.net friends, I reached out to a source at Boeing and this was his reply.....

None of the test frames have a top beacon. It has a testing sensor in that location and will be outfitted when rework is completed. Same thing happened on the 787’s and MAX test frames.

Hope that clears the air a bit!!!!

bikerthai

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:49 am

xms3200 wrote:
Keep your cool A.net friends, I reached out to a source at Boeing and this was his reply.....

None of the test frames have a top beacon. It has a testing sensor in that location and will be outfitted when rework is completed. Same thing happened on the 787’s and MAX test frames.

And that is why we keep coming here. To find answers to questions 99% of the world would care less.

:D

bt

BravoOne

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:45 am

xms3200 wrote:

So why didn't you check with this source 40+ posts earlier?