Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Flashlight for Line/Major maintenance

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:49 am

Which are the ideal rechargeable LED flashlights that would be best used for Line maintenance and Major maintenance work.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

unimproved

Re: Flashlight for Line/Major maintenance

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:50 pm

I use the basic aliexpress UltraFire ones. Gives enough light for most jobs and with a price of less than $10 they can almost be considered consumables.

Dalmd88

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:48 pm

I always liked the Streamlight Stinger for rechargeable. I moved to the Twintask model because it was not rechargeable. I got tired of the recharge dying. Company provides an endless supply of batteries in the tool room which they recycle.

I also like the Streamlight head lamp. Lifetime replacements. The supplier regularly come out to work and they also have a walk in store close to my house.

johns624

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Anything by Streamlight or Surefire. Make sure to get an adjustable output one since the higher lumen settings cause too much bounce back at close range.

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:16 pm

NiteCore MH12GTS. 1800 lumen. USB chargeable. Totally excessive. I love it.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

johns624

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 pm

The flashlight manufacturers are in a "horsepower" (lumen) race. I'd much prefer a 200-300 lumen light that runs for much more time than a flamethrower that lasts an hour.

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 am

johns624 wrote:
The flashlight manufacturers are in a "horsepower" (lumen) race. I'd much prefer a 200-300 lumen light that runs for much more time than a flamethrower that lasts an hour.

Get a torch with selectable power and use a lower setting most of the time.

It is nice to have 1000 lumen available when you need it. Just because I like excess. :D
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:33 am

Anyone use the Brightlite options

rjsampson

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 pm

Perhaps you might consider having two torches. I 110% fully endorse Starlion's NiteCore MH12GTS. Best torch I've ever owned.

johns624 wrote:

Indeed there is a horsepower race for "flamethrowers" out there, but I do wonder if one might be useful... I've recommended this to a few Heavy pilots and they absolutely love it, as it literally lights up the ENTIRE aircraft (and then some) during walkarounds at night. 10,000 lumens (and HIGHLY adjustable... it will outlast any flashlight on the market on lower settings) Only $54 -- the build quality is solid:

https://shorturl.at/etAHR
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(

Starlionblue

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:45 am

rjsampson wrote:
Perhaps you might consider having two torches. I 110% fully endorse Starlion's NiteCore MH12GTS. Best torch I've ever owned.

johns624 wrote:

Indeed there is a horsepower race for "flamethrowers" out there, but I do wonder if one might be useful... I've recommended this to a few Heavy pilots and they absolutely love it, as it literally lights up the ENTIRE aircraft (and then some) during walkarounds at night. 10,000 lumens (and HIGHLY adjustable... it will outlast any flashlight on the market on lower settings) Only $54 -- the build quality is solid:

https://shorturl.at/etAHR

That link is a bit weird. It bounces off YouTube to some Thai girl's Instagram.

rjsampson

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
rjsampson wrote:

Well, that's what I get for using a cheap URL shortener:

https://www.amazon.com/Sondiko-Flashlig ... 211&sr=8-5
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(

rjsampson

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:20 pm

rjsampson wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Well, that's what I get for using a cheap URL shortener:

https://www.amazon.com/Sondiko-Flashlig ... 211&sr=8-5

I had a 77 driver tell me that he could see even the tiniest indentations at the very top of the stabilizer with this monster (but still uses his trusty NiteCore for most things)

EDIT: While this flamethrower is "only" 5,000 lumens and $68: This is actually the one the drivers have. Anything than mentions "BLF" indicates that it was designed by a consortium of engineers that are LED/flashlight enthusiasts.This is the one I recommended. The only drawback is you'll need to purchase your own 18650 Li batteries and a charger.... But with 4 of them: You'll get a ridiculous amount of usage between charges (I think you can even get up to 40 minutes on the 5,000 lumen setting) but once you see it: You'll quickly realize that it's not needed for extended amounts of time:

https://www.amazon.com/Thorfire-Flashli ... 30TG8HA4KP

Starlionblue

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:28 pm

Built-in charging is a must for me. The Sondiko does have it according to the description.

rjsampson

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:25 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Built-in charging is a must for me. The Sondiko does have it according to the description.

Stalionblue is unique among pilots in this forums in that he lives in the "Danger Zone!" and may want just such a device. So, just for you: I'll order one for myself and report back.

I messaged my good friend on the MD10 who actually did get the Sondiko (loves it). He sent me some interesting stats on GE Halogens installed on most of their Heavy fleet:

Q4681/28V/450W bulbs on taxi lights: --> Lumens: 6,000
    Q4559X/28V/600W bulbs on landing lights: --> Lumens: 10,000

Sondiko --> Lumens: 10,000 Being LED's, he says the torch at max is significantly more powerful than their 77's landing lights.

His carrier typically flies at night (mostly 77's, MD-10's, 75's and 6's), and that being introduced to a Flamethrower has made walkarounds "fun" as he put it. He told me that a couple of captains (shocked no doubt) ask: "where can I get one?"

For the Sondiko: He recommends having a 15v USB charger to juice faster when needed. They're cheap.

rjsampson

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:47 am

[DOUBLE POST DELETED]

T prop

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:57 am

I like Olights, I have several of them. At the moment I carry a Baton Pro. It uses an 18650 cell and puts out 2000 lumens on it's high setting. It is very compact for an 18650 light, you could carry it in a shirt pocket if you wanted. It comes with magnetic charge cable that connects to the tailcap for charging. I work Line MX and since we have carry our essential tools on our person, having a quality compact flashlight that performs well is an advantage.

http://www.olightstore.com

Starlionblue

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:33 am

rjsampson wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Stalionblue is unique among pilots in this forums in that he lives in the "Danger Zone!" and may want just such a device. So, just for you: I'll order one for myself and report back.

I messaged my good friend on the MD10 who actually did get the Sondiko (loves it). He sent me some interesting stats on GE Halogens installed on most of their Heavy fleet:

Q4681/28V/450W bulbs on taxi lights: --> Lumens: 6,000
    Q4559X/28V/600W bulbs on landing lights: --> Lumens: 10,000

Sondiko --> Lumens: 10,000 Being LED's, he says the torch at max is significantly more powerful than their 77's landing lights.

His carrier typically flies at night (mostly 77's, MD-10's, 75's and 6's), and that being introduced to a Flamethrower has made walkarounds "fun" as he put it. He told me that a couple of captains (shocked no doubt) ask: "where can I get one?"

For the Sondiko: He recommends having a 15v USB charger to juice faster when needed. They're cheap.

I know exactly what your friend means. Walkarounds are much more fun with a torch that is brighter than the sun. :D

I crewed up for a captain course preparatory sim a while back. These are entirely scenario-based, and in this scenario we were picking up an aircraft that had diverted to a smaller airport, and the APU was inop, plus there was no ground power. We got into the sim to "find the aircraft" powered down and dark, at night. I took my MH12GTS out and turned it on, prompting the facilitator to yell, "Mother of God!" We had no real problems doing the pre-powerup checks at night with that thing wedged in a corner shining at the overhead.

One more feature I love with this torch is that if you click the mode button while it is off, it blinks 1-4 times to indicate charge level. Now a standard part of my equipment checks before leaving home.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:10 pm

In Major maintenance since the inspected areas are viewed from upclose , the ideal Flashlight would be a small palm held device with less intensity.
On the other hand using a Flashlight in Line maintenance A 6-8in higher intensity device would be preffered.

Starlionblue

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:16 pm

Yeah that Sondiko looks like fun but seems is a bit large to carry in your pocket IMHO. :D

KiKing

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:46 am

HAWK21M wrote:
Which are the ideal rechargeable LED tac flashlights that would be best used for Line maintenance and Major maintenance work.

Highly recommend Fenix! It has a sturdy metal structure and the beam is very bright, with different brightness and strobes. I put one beside the bed in case of a power outage, and I put one in the car. I used AAA batteries. I will definitely use these flashlights as EDC, they have different sizes, and I can equip corresponding sizes for different use cases.

WIederling

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:48 pm

Do you want one for inspection or for doing work?
I found these ( sample, lots of other offers around ) surprisingly useful.
https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Recharg ... 799&sr=8-4
~4h
Thing I currently use is a Bosch GLI 12V-330, small battery pack.
~8h
Murphy is an optimist

rjsampson

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:45 pm

I have to make another pitch for the NiteCore MH12GTS. I would steer clear of any torch that uses AAA batteries (e.g: a 18650 battery is a must) as it has a MUCH higher power density. Not only that: NiteCore's are built like tanks and will last forever. It's extremely compact, when needed has extreme output (2,000 lumens) and on lower settings -- which will be used most often -- has ridiculous battery life.

Starlionblue

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 pm

rjsampson wrote:
I have to make another pitch for the NiteCore MH12GTS. I would steer clear of any torch that uses AAA batteries (e.g: a 18650 battery is a must) as it has a MUCH higher power density. Not only that: NiteCore's are built like tanks and will last forever. It's extremely compact, when needed has extreme output (2,000 lumens) and on lower settings -- which will be used most often -- has ridiculous battery life.

Seconded. It also has excellent charge retention. Stays charged for months without noticeable loss.

Charleytuna

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:39 pm

LED headlamps changed my life. So many things are so much easier. Not an ac mechanic just mechanic in general. Have to invest in rechargeable.

twincommander

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Fenix PD35 Tac with accompanying headlamp. I also use 3500MAH batteries. Battery has to come out to charge, but i can swap the battery between the flashlight and headlamp in extreme situations. I upgraded my belt pouch to a kydex holster. So much better to use. Insane intensity when in "retina melting" mode, but scales down nicely to "is it on?" mode. A plus is i can mount the flashlight on my pistol and go tacticool when i feel like it need to.

The headlamp has a narrow field LED and a wide field LED with the above mentioned intensities. It also has a red LED for when you need to hide from your supervisor or lead.

I got a charging dock that can charge multiple batteries sizes with capacity for 2 batteries. I think i spent $110 US total from amazon for it all. Havent looked back.

I would avoid LED Lenser. They have a local assembly facility a mile from my office that accepts warranties, but the lights keep dying. Gave up on the local option.