dehagunay
Topic Author

Turbofan Engine

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Hello all. I am new here as i am new in aviation. I am studying aircraft and space engineering and this is my first year. I have homework about turbofan engines. I guess you can help me about it.
How it works ? Where we use them and why ? Thank you..

SAAFNAV

Re: Turbofan Engine

Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:44 pm

As an engineer, a big part of your job would be sit and think and come up with a solution to a problem. Not ask people to do your homework.

If you got into aircraft and space engineering without ever reading about how a basic jet engine or rocket works, I'm not too sure about the caliber of either the university or the selection committee.

Should you have specific questions, people on here would be more than willing to assist, but no one here is going to do your homework.

Consider this a favour, even though I shouldn't have started the spoonfeeding program:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/trans ... urbine.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbofan

As to where it is used? Have at look at the URL of this site.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

Francoflier

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:40 am

I think SAAFNAV answered about as honestly and tactfully as anyone...

Now I suggest locking the thread.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

BravoOne

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:23 pm

If you just want a quick reference to go from, think along these basic concepts. Suck, Squeeze, Bang and Blow. Everything else is just fluff.

bhill

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:08 pm

BravoOne wrote:
If you just want a quick reference to go from, think along these basic concepts. Suck, Squeeze, Bang and Blow. Everything else is just fluff.

...Ahhhh...phrasing.....
Carpe Pices

WIederling

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:07 am

bhill wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

...Ahhhh...phrasing.....

it is "whoooosh" not "Bang" :-)))))))))

jet engines use the energy add via "constant pressure" Brayton cycle.

"Bang" would be Otto cycle. :-=
Murphy is an optimist

zeke

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:58 am

BravoOne wrote:
Suck, Squeeze, Bang and Blow. Everything else is just fluff.

Ahhh good memories from a younger self, now it’s hard even to get a little fluff;)
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Max Q

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:21 pm

SAAFNAV wrote:
As an engineer, a big part of your job would be sit and think and come up with a solution to a problem. Not ask people to do your homework.

If you got into aircraft and space engineering without ever reading about how a basic jet engine or rocket works, I'm not too sure about the caliber of either the university or the selection committee.

Should you have specific questions, people on here would be more than willing to assist, but no one here is going to do your homework.

Consider this a favour, even though I shouldn't have started the spoonfeeding program:

What a ridiculous, self righteous, condescending response

The poster asked a simple technical question and your response is worse than useless, it’s insulting

It’s not ‘doing their homework for them’

This is an aviation enthusiasts website and forum, why on earth shouldn’t an individual wanting to educate themselves on any aspect of aviation use it as another resource ? there are plenty of knowledgeable individuals that could provide enlightenment

Instead you provide criticism and self serving grandiosity, there’s way too much of that here already

This is the kind of attitude that discourages people from becoming involved in aviation
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Francoflier

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 pm

Max Q wrote:
The poster asked a simple technical question and your response is worse than useless, it’s insulting

Respectfully, Max Q, 'How does a jet engine work, it's for my homework', is not a simple question, and it is literally doing the homework for the OP, as this is exactly what he asked for.

It's hard to get any sympathy for a first time poster who pretends to be interested in aviation yet can't seem to be bothered to read a Wikipedia article.
Now, any specific question on an aviation topic which can't easily be answered by a simple Google search would get a different response. Or maybe just querying for some help directing his research or structuring his assignment.

As someone raising Gen Z kids going through High School, I believe that the last thing you want is to spoon feed them.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Max Q

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:31 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Respectfully, Max Q, 'How does a jet engine work, it's for my homework', is not a simple question, and it is literally doing the homework for the OP, as this is exactly what he asked for.

It's hard to get any sympathy for a first time poster who pretends to be interested in aviation yet can't seem to be bothered to read a Wikipedia article.
Now, any specific question on an aviation topic which can't easily be answered by a simple Google search would get a different response. Or maybe just querying for some help directing his research or structuring his assignment.

As someone raising Gen Z kids going through High School, I believe that the last thing you want is to spoon feed them.

I always encouraged both of my children to use every resource available

This forum certainly qualifies in that respect so I disagree, providing information is not ‘spoon feeding’ if you go by that logic we should shut down all schools for their ‘spoon feeding habits’

In fact the poster should be complimented for their ‘out of the box’ thinking, I’m sure most of their peers went straight to Google/ Wikipedia etc. Instead they had the initiative to go to a website frequented by aviation professionals including pilots that have actual experience in the technical field they are curious about

How unfortunate the poster received such a pompous reply

As I said it’s the kind of response that is highly discouraging, especially to those we should be doing everything possible to encourage them in their aviation interests

I’ve been a Pilot since I was 17 and I’m sick of this arrogant attitude, I’ve seen way too much of it
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

flipdewaf

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Max Q wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I always encouraged both of my children to use every resource available

This forum certainly qualifies in that respect so I disagree, providing information is not ‘spoon feeding’ if you go by that logic we should shut down all schools for their ‘spoon feeding habits’

In fact the poster should be complimented for their ‘out of the box’ thinking, I’m sure most of their peers went straight to Google/ Wikipedia etc. Instead they had the initiative to go to a website frequented by aviation professionals including pilots that have actual experience in the technical field they are curious about

How unfortunate the poster received such a pompous reply

As I said it’s the kind of response that is highly discouraging, especially to those we should be doing everything possible to encourage them in their aviation interests

I’ve been a Pilot since I was 17 and I’m sick of this arrogant attitude, I’ve seen way too much of it

Hear hear!!!

In the modern connected world know how to find the right information and discern if its a reliable is as, if not more, important than knowing the information...

Fred

WIederling

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:42 pm

Francoflier wrote:

What is that red spatter on the kitchen wall ?
My kids asked to do their homework. <Whamm>

Kicking them in the shins isn't going to work wonders either.
There are more constructive replies possible that do not entail "doing their home work".
There also is "sit on your hands, don't post" as a potential solution around.
( I know I should autoapply that solution on occasion. :-))
Murphy is an optimist

Dalmd88

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:22 pm

This forum is a great resource for info, but the OP's question was of the look it up on Wiki variety. Read the wiki content and THEN come here and ask specific questions about the parts you don't understand. Why should any of us spend our time attempting to explain the basics concepts from scratch that are very well done on other free sites. We are all about the deeper dive questions or helping with the basics.

I think It comes down to you need to know a little before you ask a question.

Canuck600

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:45 pm

I agree with Franco there are way too many posts on here that can be answered with a little effort from the poster. In some cases they could find the info in less time then it takes to post here. As SAAFNAV being a AME or Engineer doing research is a big part of the job.

rjsampson

Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:02 am

Canuck600 wrote:
I agree with Franco there are way too many posts on here that can be answered with a little effort from the poster. In some cases they could find the info in less time then it takes to post here. As SAAFNAV being a AME or Engineer doing research is a big part of the job.

Agreed, but WOW, SAAFNAV was unnecessarily abrasive about communicating that. Something to the effect of: "Why don't you start with a link to this Wikipedia article, and come back with specific questions, if you can't find them elsewhere online. Welcome to a.net, but keep in mind that the TechOps forum is described as 'The more advanced forum,' for your future reference."

And just leave it at that, without a rather nasty lecture.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

Canuck600

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:51 pm

I actually agree with SAAFNAV somebody that's allegedly in engineering school should be able to figure out how to find info on something so basic on there own. A few people getting a sharp rebuke to a stupid question might make others think twice before they ask equally stupid questions.

Nicoeddf

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Max Q wrote:
SAAFNAV wrote:

This is the kind of attitude that discourages people from becoming involved in aviation

Actually, for the question at hand, your reply is equally useless. Or did you explain the OP how a jet engine works?
Your attitude actually encourages people to being lazy ******, not even trying to seach on wikipedia or google.

At least SAAFNAV provided the necessary links.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

Nicoeddf

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 pm

rjsampson wrote:
Canuck600 wrote:

And just leave it at that, without a rather nasty lecture.

Or we could stop to handle any issue at hand ubersensitive and just say things as they are.
from the altar of god

Canuck600

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:32 pm

I know I'm probably beating the point to death but the idea that somebody a the post secondary level is using what they get from a internet forum for basic research is beyond belief. How can they trust that the info they are getting is accurate especially when they get conflicting info. Better off & faster to reliable sources off the bat.

SAAFNAV

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Interesting replies.

I must confess, I had to drag my dictionary closer, but maybe my South African English dropped me a bit.
For sure, the terms arrogant and abrasive have different meanings. Nowhere did I resort to name-calling, or doubting the poster's intellect or anything that would put me on a perch.

I did however point out that there some stuff you should be able to go read up for yourself. If you still don't understand, then it would be way more acceptable to come a forum saying 'I read this this and this, but this part is still unclear to me'. I'm sure people will fall over their feet to assist, as they've done on countless other posts.

The following points are ironic:

To date, no has told the OP how a turbo fan works, but have been quite _abrasive_ towards the people stating you should go look it up him/herself.
In the time that the OP has spent to sign up and type out a question, he/she could've finished the wiki article and then come up with an in-depth question.

@[email protected]: Sorry that you find that arrogant, since the age of 17. I wonder if you were instructing and a student pitched up without any prep beforehand expecting you to cover it all in a short briefing, if you would still say the same.

To our German friend: quite astonishing that you equate the only opposite to spoonfeeding with bodily harm. I'm sorry if that was your background. If I asked what a word meant, I was just told to go look it up myself. Way more effective.

In today's age of information at our fingertips, people are astonishingly unable to utilize it.

And that, in the immortal words of Mr Gump, is all I have to say about that.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

kurtverbose

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:25 pm

@ SAAFNAV. I completely agree with you.

To the OP, if you want to know how a turbofan works go and stick your head inside of one.

I will give you this advice though, as wikipedia doesn't mention it, don't stick your head inside while it's running!

rjsampson

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
Or we could stop to handle any issue at hand ubersensitive and just say things as they are.

Well, clearly this thread has gone in a completely different direction and no longer has anything to do with “turbofans” and seems to be a back-and-forth about online decorum.

Perhaps I’m old school: You use the word “urbersensitive.” I would use a different word: “polite.” ...sigh. Oh well. I appear to be in the minority on this.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

Nicoeddf

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:39 am

rjsampson wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Well, clearly this thread has gone in a completely different direction and no longer has anything to do with “turbofans” and seems to be a back-and-forth about online decorum.

Perhaps I’m old school: You use the word “urbersensitive.” I would use a different word: “polite.” ...sigh. Oh well. I appear to be in the minority on this.

Polite as in "being polite to others and don't steal their time by doing your absolute basic homework yourself"?
from the altar of god

rjsampson

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
rjsampson wrote:

Polite as in "being polite to others and don't steal their time by doing your absolute basic homework yourself"?

I guess you got me there... being "polite" to someone trying to steal something would be "ubersensitive."

...oh wait a second: Did the OP try to "steal" anything? The OP is clearly naive, perhaps English-as-a-Second language, and politely asked a question not appropriate for this forum. How is that *stealing* from anyone, in any way shape or form? No one is under any compulsion use their time to respond; I was suggesting that (in the world I live in, anyway): A simple: "Start Googling Turbofans before posting here, as this is for advanced questions" would surely have been a faster, more civil use of SAAFNAV's time, to respond.

Lighten up, gentlemen :)

Sokes

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:35 am

dehagunay wrote:
I am studying aircraft and space engineering...turbofan engines... Where we use them and why ?

I find this rather amusing. Are you sure this guy didn't make a joke?

From my side: Welcome to a.nut. I'm looking forward for more such good jokes.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

ro1960

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:46 am

Max Q wrote:
SAAFNAV wrote:

What a ridiculous, self righteous, condescending response

This is an aviation enthusiasts website and forum, why on earth shouldn’t an individual wanting to educate themselves on any aspect of aviation use it as another resource ? there are plenty of knowledgeable individuals that could provide enlightenment

Instead you provide criticism and self serving grandiosity, there’s way too much of that here already

Very well put.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports