DocLightning
Topic Author

Why do many flights from EZE to the US fly west over Chile and then turn north?

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:34 am

If you look at UA818 (which was being discussed in another thread after UA819 had a bird strike), it flew west from EZE in the direction of SCL and then turned north once it got over the Pacific. AA900 is doing the same thing. Why do these flights take such a large detour?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

LAXdude1023

Re: Why do many flights from EZE to the US fly west over Chile and then turn north?

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:42 am

Flying north over the Andes often produces some of the most turbulent air on earth in my experience. That could be one reason.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Starlionblue

Re: Why do many flights from EZE to the US fly west over Chile and then turn north?

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:48 am

Wind is typically the answer. But it could also be overflight fees.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

barney captain

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:53 pm

Interesting find - they seem to all be routed that way. If it were strictly an overflight issue, they could certainly cut the corner and still stay over Chile until out over the Pacific. To so routinely avoid the Andes seems odd, as flights pass over them regularly and there isn't always turbulence. I'm betting on some airspace restriction (military?) that requires that near 90 degree turn past Chile.
Southeast Of Disorder

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:54 pm

barney captain wrote:
Interesting find - they seem to all be routed that way. If it were strictly an overflight issue, they could certainly cut the corner and still stay over Chile until out over the Pacific. To so routinely avoid the Andes seems odd, as flights pass over them regularly and there isn't always turbulence. I'm betting on some airspace restriction (military?) that requires that near 90 degree turn past Chile.

I think it's got to be an overflight issue. AA to DFW seems to do it about half the time, and it adds ~30 minutes of flying time.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:04 pm

A guess, not wanting to overfly Venezuela?

ParkFSI

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:50 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
A guess, not wanting to overfly Venezuela?

Wrong side of South America

Weatherwatcher1

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 am

My guess is that they are avoiding the 22,000 ft mountains in the Andes. They choose East or west depending on winds. A number of mountains in Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru create problems if the airplane loses an engine and needs to drift down.