hitower3
Topic Author

Stormy weather - Impact on fatigue?

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am

Dear all,

This is one question I would like to address to the flying personnel.

As a rather hefty storm named "Sabine" is blowing over Europe, we aviation enthusiasts are served with some spectacular airport operation videos.

But what is the impact of stormy weather and the resulting challenges for the pilots? Are you rather happy to see your flying skills challenged, looking forward to demonstrate a perfect crosswind landing (that some Youtuber will of course post as "airplane near crash landing...)? What is the impact of challenging weather on your fatigue, in particular if flying multiple short haul sectors in the affected region?

Thanks in advance & safe landings!
Hendric

Flow2706

Re: Stormy weather - Impact on fatigue?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:37 am

I think it is depending on the individual and his personal attitudes. I prefer to get a challenge from time to time and actually in a way enjoy strong crosswinds, however it’s more challenging and the potential of screw ups are higher. I guess it changes a bit once you upgrade to captain. When I was a first officer is was really looking forward to all the crosswinds (one of my companies that I was working for had now additional crosswind limitations beyond the ones in the FCOM for first officers, so I’ve done some landings in just under 38kts crosswind even when I was a FO). After upgrading I still enjoy it but I know that if the shits hits the fan every one of my decisions would be evaluated and even minor decision making mistakes can have big consequences - guess that’s why captains get the big money

TOGA10

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:47 am

hitower3 wrote:
Dear all,

This is one question I would like to address to the flying personnel.

As a rather hefty storm named "Sabine" is blowing over Europe, we aviation enthusiasts are served with some spectacular airport operation videos.

But what is the impact of stormy weather and the resulting challenges for the pilots? Are you rather happy to see your flying skills challenged, looking forward to demonstrate a perfect crosswind landing (that some Youtuber will of course post as "airplane near crash landing...)? What is the impact of challenging weather on your fatigue, in particular if flying multiple short haul sectors in the affected region?

Thanks in advance & safe landings!
Hendric

Well, I think it works both ways. Yes it's nice to have a challenging approach sometimes, but also, it WILL causes a lot of delays. Ground handling will be impacted, you will get long slots, holding because of reduced runway capacity etc. Also there is a risk of diversions, all factors that will increase stress and therefore fatigue.
It depends in the kind of operation you do too. If you are in long haul, you will most likely have to do land OR take off only once in that shitty weather. Short haul in Europe, you might end up doing 4 take offs ánd 4 landings in heavy winds, which will definitely make you feel more tired after such a day. Especially if you work for a company that has stricter limits for First Officers, captain may end up flying most or all of the sectors.
And as the poster above me said, there is a lot of responsibility riding on the captain, one misstep may mean tea with no biscuits the next day...
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.

zeke

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:20 pm

hitower3 wrote:
What is the impact of challenging weather on your fatigue, in particular if flying multiple short haul sectors in the affected region?

All depends on how current people are with the conditions, some people see the conditions regularly and it’s just another day out. You carry enough fuel, and you have a plan in place.

What gets fatiguing is diversions, and if your diverting with a lot of other aircraft to the same airport. That puts stress onto alternate airports parking slots and facilities like refueling, and waste removal. It often results in delays, where you are at the mercy of the weather, facilities available, and ATC to get going again.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Sokes

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:39 am

Flow2706 wrote:
even minor decision making mistakes can have big consequences - guess that’s why captains get the big money

That's also the reason Mullenberg and former Citigroup CEO Chuck Prince ("But as long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance") needed proper salaries.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?