joo1lee
Topic Author
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:32 am

LD3 in lower deck

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:17 pm

Does anyone know if each LD3 loaded in the lower deck is secured by xz restraints? Basically I'm trying to find out if "stacking" is allowed by any manufacturers or operators. And are there any standards/regulations that are defined anywhere, i.e. IATA ULDR or IATA AHM?
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14649
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:53 pm

They are all locked into position, there is no room to stack them.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
9MMPQ
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 pm

zeke wrote:
They are all locked into position, there is no room to stack them.


There's certainly stack loading on the B747-400 family. A group of LD3 containers loaded together with the container stops only fixed on the front & end of the group, no locks in between the containers. The containers would all be up against each other without spaces in between. Groups of 4 or 6 are possible in the forward & aft hold depending on configuration planning with the offered load.

More information to be found in the operator's weight & balance manual which will show possible loading configurations. IATA ULDR & AHM are just too generic for this kind of information. Boeing will also show it in a manual but have not seen those myself as we had our own manual's being the operator which are of course derived from Boeing.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14649
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:14 am

Stacking x,z would mean on top of each other, where z is the vertical axis. The only products that are stacked are pallets or collapsed horse boxes. There is no room to stack LD3s.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
FGITD
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:15 am

Generally, Boeings can stack, Airbus cannot. And of course only lengthwise, there's always a horizontal guide/lock.

787 is the first Boeing I've seen without stacking.

747s...different breed all together. Moving locks, stacks, you name it. Nothing more fun than stacking 6 cans and realizing you never moved the lock and have to shift all 6 to move it.
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:39 am

What exactly is meant by stacking. I always think putting one on top of the other, but now I'm just confused.
Captain Kevin
 
FGITD
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:29 am

AirKevin wrote:
What exactly is meant by stacking. I always think putting one on top of the other, but now I'm just confused.


LD3 positions are divided left/right position by position. So there's a 11L, 11R, 21L, 21R etc etc.

Stacking means instead of loading 1L, putting up a lock between 1L and 2L then loading 2L, you can load 1L through 6L, only putting up the locks at the ends. So the LD3s are restrained by each other, and the locks at the ends.

Basically...think horizontal, not vertical.
 
DALMD80
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 am

FGITD wrote:
Generally, Boeings can stack, Airbus cannot. And of course only lengthwise, there's always a horizontal guide/lock.

787 is the first Boeing I've seen without stacking.

747s...different breed all together. Moving locks, stacks, you name it. Nothing more fun than stacking 6 cans and realizing you never moved the lock and have to shift all 6 to move it.

Can the 737 or 717 stack??
SAVE THE MAD DOGS!! Seriously, get a ride on one while you can. They'll be gone by the end of the year.
 
FGITD
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:05 am

DALMD80 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
Generally, Boeings can stack, Airbus cannot. And of course only lengthwise, there's always a horizontal guide/lock.

787 is the first Boeing I've seen without stacking.

747s...different breed all together. Moving locks, stacks, you name it. Nothing more fun than stacking 6 cans and realizing you never moved the lock and have to shift all 6 to move it.

Can the 737 or 717 stack??


Yes but in a different sense. As in, bags on top of bags loaded one by one. Makes for a fun afternoon in hot or cold weather.

LD3 is a unit load device aka container (usually an AKE or AKH in this case) meaning bags are loaded into the AKE, and the AKE into the plane via a powered hold. Also usually a widebody but there are containerized airbus narrow bodies as well. Each AKE has a number, each number is assigned a hold position by the load controller, the operations staff, or sometimes just the loader himself and plane is loaded accordingly.

And while I’m explaining, a “can" is just slang for a luggage container.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4289
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:35 am

FGITD wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
What exactly is meant by stacking. I always think putting one on top of the other, but now I'm just confused.


LD3 positions are divided left/right position by position. So there's a 11L, 11R, 21L, 21R etc etc.

Stacking means instead of loading 1L, putting up a lock between 1L and 2L then loading 2L, you can load 1L through 6L, only putting up the locks at the ends. So the LD3s are restrained by each other, and the locks at the ends.

Basically...think horizontal, not vertical.

If I remember correctly? there are center guides for lading the LD3's that are retractable. So they can be loaded side by side already. and retracted for loading Pallets or the larger cans.
 
FGITD
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: LD3 in lower deck

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:19 am

strfyr51 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
What exactly is meant by stacking. I always think putting one on top of the other, but now I'm just confused.


LD3 positions are divided left/right position by position. So there's a 11L, 11R, 21L, 21R etc etc.

Stacking means instead of loading 1L, putting up a lock between 1L and 2L then loading 2L, you can load 1L through 6L, only putting up the locks at the ends. So the LD3s are restrained by each other, and the locks at the ends.

Basically...think horizontal, not vertical.

If I remember correctly? there are center guides for lading the LD3's that are retractable. So they can be loaded side by side already. and retracted for loading Pallets or the larger cans.


correct, up the middle separating left and right there are T shaped guides that flip down if a pallet passes over them. Lateral restraint guides, I think they're called.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ducari and 7 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos