Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Vastav
Topic Author

FAA Neuropsych Testing Feedback

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:44 pm

Hello all. Got my dreaded deferral from the FAA due to past diagnosis of ADD when I was a child. Have not taken meds in nearly a decade and got my letter from the FAA. Says that they want a personal statement of my history with medication use and medical records. I've read up on people's typical experience with this, my question is has anyone got past this point with an approval without having to go through the neuropsych evaluation? I am confident I’d pass it but the time and money it requires i am hoping to avoid.

r6russian

Re: FAA Neuropsych Testing Feedback

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:17 am

Forget it unless youre ready for months and months of back and forth letters, doctor visits, having to dredge up ancient records and that will ultimately result in a denied medical. FAA is out to get anyone with a tinyest blemish on their record.

Mine (only a class 3, mind you) got denied after about 6 months of back and forth all because i got a dui over 5 years ago for smoking a blunt while driving. I havent smoked weed in over 4 years. I passed the AME medical part with flying colors but he had to defer me for an arrest within 10 years. Months of back and forth with 4 drug tests (that required time off work because they had to be done within 48 hours of receiving the letter, since the fastest drugs leave your piss after 3 days), having to dredge up police reports and officer statement from the arrest, all the court records. All the information that FAA, a government agency has at their fingertips, but make you get for them anyways, probably to crosscheck with what they have on you and see if youre trying to lie and cover shit up. Make personal statements. Get a letter in the mail saying they need this and that and to go drop piss within 48 hours. Comply with all that, go drop the next morning, round up paperwork, mail it. Get a letter a month later saying now they need so and so and oh btw, go drop again. Rinse and repeat for 6 months all to ultimately be denied for "substance abuse".
This was in 2018, so my only option to fly again (besides moving to a different country) is to wait til 2023, so when i apply for a medical again, i can check "no" when it asks if ive been arrested within 10 years. But now Ill have to check "yes" when it asks if my medical has ever been denied in the past, which will probably defer me to Oklahoma again, and that "yes" check is an auto DQ for any airline hiring manager, so this ended my hopes of ever being an airline pilot, and ill only be able to fly for pleasure if im ever able to fly again.

I fell into the same trap a lot of people fall into with their medicals. I went to the AME without thoroughly learning about the process. I never knew that FAA medical is not only a medical, its a criminal background check and a personality test all wrapped up into one.I didnt know theres once you fill out the form online, theres no way to backout or cancel, only to get the medical or get denied. A lot of people get fucked on their medicals for ADD in particular, because their parents fed them medical meth for a nonexistant disease as kids. At least my dui is my own fault. Thats why you either lie on your medical (and hope you dont get hit with the lifetime medical ban for "of bad personality to hold a medical", and yes thats a real tng) or be ready to pretty much commit next few months of your life to something 99% of people get in 15 minutes at a doctors office with a likelyhood of being denied.

Good luck man

TWA772LR

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:05 am

r6russian wrote:
Forget it unless youre ready for months and months of back and forth letters, doctor visits, having to dredge up ancient records and that will ultimately result in a denied medical. FAA is out to get anyone with a tinyest blemish on their record.

Mine (only a class 3, mind you) got denied after about 6 months of back and forth all because i got a dui over 5 years ago for smoking a blunt while driving. I havent smoked weed in over 4 years. I passed the AME medical part with flying colors but he had to defer me for an arrest within 10 years. Months of back and forth with 4 drug tests (that required time off work because they had to be done within 48 hours of receiving the letter, since the fastest drugs leave your piss after 3 days), having to dredge up police reports and officer statement from the arrest, all the court records. All the information that FAA, a government agency has at their fingertips, but make you get for them anyways, probably to crosscheck with what they have on you and see if youre trying to lie and cover shit up. Make personal statements. Get a letter in the mail saying they need this and that and to go drop piss within 48 hours. Comply with all that, go drop the next morning, round up paperwork, mail it. Get a letter a month later saying now they need so and so and oh btw, go drop again. Rinse and repeat for 6 months all to ultimately be denied for "substance abuse".
This was in 2018, so my only option to fly again (besides moving to a different country) is to wait til 2023, so when i apply for a medical again, i can check "no" when it asks if ive been arrested within 10 years. But now Ill have to check "yes" when it asks if my medical has ever been denied in the past, which will probably defer me to Oklahoma again, and that "yes" check is an auto DQ for any airline hiring manager, so this ended my hopes of ever being an airline pilot, and ill only be able to fly for pleasure if im ever able to fly again.

I fell into the same trap a lot of people fall into with their medicals. I went to the AME without thoroughly learning about the process. I never knew that FAA medical is not only a medical, its a criminal background check and a personality test all wrapped up into one.I didnt know theres once you fill out the form online, theres no way to backout or cancel, only to get the medical or get denied. A lot of people get fucked on their medicals for ADD in particular, because their parents fed them medical meth for a nonexistant disease as kids. At least my dui is my own fault. Thats why you either lie on your medical (and hope you dont get hit with the lifetime medical ban for "of bad personality to hold a medical", and yes thats a real tng) or be ready to pretty much commit next few months of your life to something 99% of people get in 15 minutes at a doctors office with a likelyhood of being denied.

Good luck man

I totally here you when you say people are uneducated about the process. I went through my own stuff that I know will DQ me so I spent 2 years of my life trying to educate myself on the process only to meet with an aviation psych that said "liberally" I'll have a 10% chance of being approved. My medical records are something I dont want any part of the government to find out about. So here I am still trying to swallow the pill of having to give up being a pilot.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

AABusDrvr

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:22 am

Vastav wrote:
Hello all. Got my dreaded deferral from the FAA due to past diagnosis of ADD when I was a child. Have not taken meds in nearly a decade and got my letter from the FAA. Says that they want a personal statement of my history with medication use and medical records. I've read up on people's typical experience with this, my question is has anyone got past this point with an approval without having to go through the neuropsych evaluation? I am confident I’d pass it but the time and money it requires i am hoping to avoid.

You may want to contact Dr. Bruce Chien. He seems to be the go to guy for stuff like this. He may, or may not agree to take on your case. At any rate, he can probably point you someone who is more knowledgeable than the average AME.

I've flown with a few guys who have son's going through the same thing. It sounds like most successful route has been trying to prove the ADD diagnosis was made in error, but that's just second hand information.

My ex wife had my oldest son diagnosed with ADD, and put him on meds, I disagree with that diagnosis, and it's caused him much grief getting into the military. But he did manage to get a waiver, and enlist. Good luck.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com

If nothing else, give AMAS a call for a consultation.

https://www.aviationmedicine.com

TerryLewis

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Hello, I understand your situation very well; my son was diagnosed with ADHD last month and we think to try another FAA Neuropsychological Assessment with a private company (neuropsychologisthouston).

TerryLewis

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:53 am

TerryLewis essaywriter wrote:
Hello, I understand your situation very well; my son was diagnosed with ADHD last month and we think to try another FAA Neuropsychological Assessment with a private company (neuropsychologisthouston).

I made an appointment with Dr. Largen and we are to meet next week. I'll get back and share the information here later.