Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

T54A
Topic Author

Silly designs in otherwise great aircraft

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:49 am

Flying the A350 over the last couple months has been an absolute pleasure. The large cockpit is a massive improvement over the A330/340, especially when operating with four crew. HOWEVER, the cockpit dustbins are really small (yes I know it’s a silly observation) considering it’s designed to fly for 16+ hours.
This got me thinking about what other silly designs are out there for otherwise great aircraft. The separate dimming switch for the Wx radar ND display (ND brightness up, wx brightness down is very dangerous is not picked up) on the A330/340 comes to mind.

What other examples?
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3 A359

Starlionblue

Re: Silly designs in otherwise great aircraft

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 am

What is it you're throwing away that requires large dustbins? ;)

The light switches/dimmers scattered about on the A330 drive me nuts sometimes. Which one do I want again? Is it on the overhead, the left side of the centre console, or the right side of the centre console? What does "main panel flood" refer to? And did someone leave the maintenance dome light switch to on, so now we can't turn the dome light off completely from the overhead, and it works in the opposite direction?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Horstroad

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:15 am

Where to start? Where to end? This list could be veeeery long.
-On the 777 there is no dust bin at all on the flight deck.
-On newer 777 you have to switch ON the printer right after you supply external power or the aircraft will be unhappy and you'd have to reboot if you forgot the printer.
-There's no CB page on the 777 (I really like that on the Airbus).
-You cannot have the flaps extended and slats retracted (for maintenance) without disconnecting an electrical connector and installing a jumper wire. Yet during the Flap/Slat system test via the MAT the aircraft happily drives both independently from each other.
-There's no OFF switch for the weather radar. When you select WXR on either EFIS control panel, the weather radar is active.
-The Ground Service switch on the 777F is a glorified light switch. Not much more ground servicing possible when ON than when OFF. (Potable water service for example needs the whole aircraft powered up. Air chiller only available when the aircraft is powered up.)
-No fuel transfer possible from the flight deck alone (I love that feature on the MD11)

T54A
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:42 pm

Ah yes. No cockpit indication that ground air supply is connected on A330/340, and you can’t select APU bleed with ground air connected

trijetsonly

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:53 pm

The stabilizer tank in the 747 is not supposed to be used as a trim tank.
It would be awesome to have that feature enabled.
Happy Landings

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Dating me, but using mirror to read the compass in the -9 was pretty silly. I mean, it wasn’t designed by Lucas engineers despite the appearance.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:23 pm

The overhead bins on the A350. An overall great aircraft, but Airbus, even in their newest plane designs, can't hold a candle to the overhead bins of the Boeing planes (737 Sky Interior, 787, 777, 747-8) regarding spaciousness and size.

I flew the A350 a couple of weeks ago and an otherwise wonderful plane didn't get the interior right. I kept bumping my head, bins are smaller, etc. They need to take a lesson from Boeing's playbook on the overhead bins.
Whatever

bhill

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Dating me, but using mirror to read the compass in the -9 was pretty silly. I mean, it wasn’t designed by Lucas engineers despite the appearance.

Lucas...funny... AKA "the Prince Of Darkness"......from a previous MGB owner.....
Carpe Pices

diverted

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
The overhead bins on the A350. An overall great aircraft, but Airbus, even in their newest plane designs, can't hold a candle to the overhead bins of the Boeing planes (737 Sky Interior, 787, 777, 747-8) regarding spaciousness and size.

I flew the A350 a couple of weeks ago and an otherwise wonderful plane didn't get the interior right. I kept bumping my head, bins are smaller, etc. They need to take a lesson from Boeing's playbook on the overhead bins.

Can't say I've noticed that, I find the bins and interior of the 350 to be fine. Only bin issue I recently noticed, sitting in the rear of the Y cabin, was someone in the middle kept trying to yank on what they thought was an overhead bin where the crew rest area is on a LH 359

DL_Mech

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Why do (most) 737s not have a flight control position indicator?
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

milhaus

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 pm

A320 NLG air ground sensing proximity sensor targets, they are on small handle which rotates in shaft being actuated by small link, when there is freeplay on shaft and link connection, target will not come fully to proximity sensors and You can not retract landing gear. Every other Aircraft has proximity sensors targets on main links and it works fine all the time.

Starlionblue

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:44 pm

The A330 main gear has a "shortening mechanism" to fit the gear in the well on retraction. For no apparent reason, the ECAM message for a fault with the shortening mechanism is "lengthening fault"...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Alias1024

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:18 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Even sillier is that they kept that design all the way through the MD-95/717
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Alias1024

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
The A330 main gear has a "shortening mechanism" to fit the gear in the well on retraction. For no apparent reason, the ECAM message for a fault with the shortening mechanism is "lengthening fault"...

Probably written by the same engineer that thought when you fly past Top of Descent the appropriate message is “decelerate”.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

unimproved

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:03 am

Horstroad wrote:
Where to start? Where to end? This list could be veeeery long.
-On the 777 there is no dust bin at all on the flight deck.
-On newer 777 you have to switch ON the printer right after you supply external power or the aircraft will be unhappy and you'd have to reboot if you forgot the printer.
-There's no CB page on the 777 (I really like that on the Airbus).
-You cannot have the flaps extended and slats retracted (for maintenance) without disconnecting an electrical connector and installing a jumper wire. Yet during the Flap/Slat system test via the MAT the aircraft happily drives both independently from each other.
-There's no OFF switch for the weather radar. When you select WXR on either EFIS control panel, the weather radar is active.
-The Ground Service switch on the 777F is a glorified light switch. Not much more ground servicing possible when ON than when OFF. (Potable water service for example needs the whole aircraft powered up. Air chiller only available when the aircraft is powered up.)
-No fuel transfer possible from the flight deck alone (I love that feature on the MD11)

AFAIK the slats jumper is a safety item, to prevent any unwanted deployments. Either way an improvement over the 747 that requires a dummy plug on every actuator to do the same.

Making the wing safe for mx requires you to pull 3 CB's, one of which is located behind a panel that can only be openend with the fwd cargo door open.

FlyHossD

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:09 am

bhill wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Lucas...funny... AKA "the Prince Of Darkness"......from a previous MGB owner.....

The first time I flew an aircraft with an electrical system produced by Lucas, I was told, "Lucas makes refrigerators for the U.K. and is the reason the English drink warm beer."
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

BravoOne

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:25 am

FlyHossD wrote:
bhill wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The first time I flew an aircraft with an electrical system produced by Lucas, I was told, "Lucas makes refrigerators for the U.K. and is the reason the English drink warm beer."

Obviously you never flew the DH Comet!

BWIAirport

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:58 am

Why there has to be a 6-inch gap between passenger window planes is beyond me. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it makes night filming quite difficult.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

StereoTechque

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:13 am

BWIAirport wrote:
Why there has to be a 6-inch gap between passenger window planes is beyond me. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it makes night filming quite difficult.

To maintain structural integrity of the fuselage by reducing chances of fracture.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

StereoTechque

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:16 am

I find the fasteners used to secure Radome on the 737 very lame. They should have used latches on the later models like on the A320. One faster overtorqued and the anchor breaks. Then you have to open the Radome again for access.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

Starlionblue

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:10 am

Alias1024 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Probably written by the same engineer that thought when you fly past Top of Descent the appropriate message is “decelerate”.

Indeed... Especially weird since in the 'bus if you want to descend at a steeper angle you need to... accelerate. :D But I guess it is pretty appropriate until top of drop.

unimproved

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:14 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Indeed... Especially weird since in the 'bus if you want to descend at a steeper angle you need to... accelerate. :D But I guess it is pretty appropriate until top of drop.

It's probably a case of Frenglish, just like the judgement of your landing right after touching down.

Didn't the older frames have a French accent as well?

Starlionblue

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:18 am

unimproved wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:

It's probably a case of Frenglish, just like the judgement of your landing right after touching down.

Never heard a French accent, but the oldest 'bus I've flown is only about 20 years old.

I have come to love-hate the somewhat passive-aggressive radalt callout tone if you float a bit.

"Fifty, forty, thirty, twenty, retard, ten....." pause..."seven..." ( or "five" or "eight"). As if he's saying "my good man, I'm not judging but... well, actually I am judging..."

T54A
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:53 am

Starlionblue wrote:
unimproved wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Never heard a French accent, but the oldest 'bus I've flown is only about 20 years old.

I have come to love-hate the somewhat passive-aggressive radalt callout tone if you float a bit.

"Fifty, forty, thirty, twenty, retard, ten....." pause..."seven..." ( or "five" or "eight"). As if he's saying "my good man, I'm not judging but... well, actually I am judging..."

Generally a sign that a greaser in imminent though

T54A
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:00 am

'Remove Status' the using the Clear button on the Bus. After 10000hrs on Airbus I still say 'clear status' now and again.

Starlionblue

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:43 am

T54A wrote:
'Remove Status' the using the Clear button on the Bus. After 10000hrs on Airbus I still say 'clear status' now and again.

You are definitely not alone... ;)

VSMUT

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:16 pm

The ATR:
The passenger entry door and lavatory is in the back. In cargo conversions you get no lavatory.
The cargo compartments are at the extreme ends of the aircraft, makes cargo and passenger distribution interesting. The 2 rear holds are accessed through the galley and service door.
The flight deck is accessed through a cargo compartment.
The air conditioning system is worse than on a Cessna 172, really unreliable.
The 600 series is a total mess in the cockpit, a really half-baked solution with non-functioning buttons, an FMS from a helicopter complete with a hover mode and various CAT III items. Plus it comes in 3 different variations all with differences between them that you can't find anywhere in the manuals.

Oh, and no headrest.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:05 pm

A320. “Page Update In Progess”

Starlionblue

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

A330 also. Typically happens just as you've punched something in...

glen

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:52 pm

The reading light on the A330/340 is a joke. It's fine if you lean back, then it illuminates the table. As soon as you lean forward in order to read or especially to write something, your head will overshadow the table.
The A320 has a nice light strip underneath the glareshield panel, lighting up the table in all situations. But the engineer designing the A330/340 reading light in the overhead ceiling must have had a head made of glass and no brain in it...
"The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view." - Albert Einstein

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:04 pm

glen wrote:
The reading light on the A330/340 is a joke. It's fine if you lean back, then it illuminates the table. As soon as you lean forward in order to read or especially to write something, your head will overshadow the table.
The A320 has a nice light strip underneath the glareshield panel, lighting up the table in all situations. But the engineer designing the A330/340 reading light in the overhead ceiling must have had a head made of glass and no brain in it...

Seconded. It seems perfectly designed for my hand to cast a shadow onto anything I am writing.

The A340-600 and the A350 fixed this with a nice light right under the glareshield.

strfyr51

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:45 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:

the sky interior was a response to Airlines making their OWN modifications. United installed new contoured Bin Doors and Bin extensions to store the rollaway bags many business people were carrying. I'm sure other airlines probably did the same to keep people from damaging the overhead bin doors by forcing then shut. When I was a terminal mechanic years ago, I spent hours per day fixing overhead bin latches that passengers had forced closed . The extended bin with the curved door alleviated most of that. Especially on the 737's, 757's and A320 series airplanes..

jetmatt777

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:20 pm

The 787 can't operate a taxi light until both engines are fully running. A flash of the taxi light indicates to the marshaller that the pilots are fine on their own and no need for any more ground assistance.

This takes a while and forces a ridiculous long wait for the pushback crew. Especially since we can't clear to start until stopped on the line. Even more frustrating is doing this in bad weather. Standing in the middle of a downpour while the engines slowly come online so the pilots can give you a flash sucks.

bgm

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:36 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

For the love of God, how many kitchen sinks were you bringing onboard? :sarcastic: I've travelled extensively on the A350 and there never has been much issue with overhead bin space aside from the rear rows where crew bunks take up the space.

Speaking of bumping heads, the 737 BSI bins are awful for that, they drop so low. Not to mention the giant vagina Boeing put on the ceiling. Obviously the designers had other things on their mind... :duck:
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

1989worstyear

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:48 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

It runs on 1987 hardware, remember :stirthepot:
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

thepinkmachine

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:55 pm

By pet peeves:

A320/330 - scrolling arrows on the MCDU. Why on earth they decided make them work in opposite sense? (yeah, I know it's 'scrolling the roll'), but still...

787:

VNAV descent is [email protected], usually too high/too fast, plus has some stuid logic (speed target changing, when opening speed window, etc.). Unable to cope with chaning winds in THR. After soo many years of buliding FMS equipped airplanes, the should have figured it out by now - or copy from Airbus.

Also, automatic deceleration (a'la Airbus decel), but the speed won't stop at flap maneouvering speed, but will happily go down to amber band (equivalent of Vls for Airbus types)

Autothrottle logic - TOGA switch doesn't work after touchdown (see EK 777 crash)

Other one - no decent space for gear pins in the cockpit. The are either stowed in avionic compartment (thus invisible to the crew), or stowed in some makeshift box in a drawer

Automatic brightness in the cockpit - goes nuts everytime during sunrise

Cockpit window shades - dont even get me started on that.... Everyone brings their own pair of $5 car shades, coz the Boeing original ones are crap...

Built in EFB sucks, is slow and hard to use
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"

Starlionblue

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:59 pm

thepinkmachine wrote:
By pet peeves:

A320/330 - scrolling arrows on the MCDU. Why on earth they decided make them work in opposite sense? (yeah, I know it's 'scrolling the roll'), but still...

787:

VNAV descent is [email protected], usually too high/too fast, plus has some stuid logic (speed target changing, when opening speed window, etc.). Unable to cope with chaning winds in THR. After soo many years of buliding FMS equipped airplanes, the should have figured it out by now - or copy from Airbus.

Also, automatic deceleration (a'la Airbus decel), but the speed won't stop at flap maneouvering speed, but will happily go down to amber band (equivalent of Vls for Airbus types)

Autothrottle logic - TOGA switch doesn't work after touchdown (see EK 777 crash)

Other one - no decent space for gear pins in the cockpit. The are either stowed in avionic compartment (thus invisible to the crew), or stowed in some makeshift box in a drawer

Automatic domming in the cockpit - goes nuts everytime during sunrise

Cockpit window shades - dont even get me started on that.... Everyone brings their own pair of $5 car shades, coz the Boeing original ones are crap...

The MCDU scrolling things becomes even more annoying when you go back and forth with the A350, which scrolls the other way... :eyebrow:

The A350 windshield shades are tedious. I don't know why couldn't use the pretty decent integrated design from the A330. Instead you get this bit of tintet plastic with a clamp...

Agent

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:49 am

Starlionblue wrote:
The MCDU scrolling things becomes even more annoying when you go back and forth with the A350, which scrolls the other way... :eyebrow:

The A350 windshield shades are tedious. I don't know why couldn't use the pretty decent integrated design from the A330. Instead you get this bit of tintet plastic with a clamp...

Include the „push for STD“ on A350 instead of „Pull for STD“ on A320/A330/A340.
I thought the clamp shades only come with HUD. Are they now on every 350?

Starlionblue

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:54 am

Agent wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Include the „push for STD“ on A350 instead of „Pull for STD“ on A320/A330/A340.
I thought the clamp shades only come with HUD. Are they now on every 350?

All of ours have the HUD so I don't know. Methinks they could still have designed a shade like the A330, sliding down between the HUD and the windshield.

Push for STD actually makes some sense, since it sorta follow the "push for managed" vs "pull for selected" logic, but I will agree it is an annoyance. There's a lot of pushing, then pulling or vice versa now. "Transition". "Grrrrdamnit." "Standard set and crosschecked..."

T54A
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:21 pm

A350: Inability to transfer enroute data to opposite EFB.

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:37 pm

T54A wrote:

What sort of enroute data?

T54A
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:58 am

Starlionblue wrote:
T54A wrote:

What sort of enroute data?

Hi Level chart route. XXXXX UM321 XXXXX UG123 etc

bradyj23

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm

CRJ100/200 had a cup holder that was too small for a can of soda.

abcgogo

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Are there any such design issues in the cockpits of general aviation and business aviation aircraft ? It would be interesting to know as an avgeek. :)

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:11 pm

abcgogo wrote:
Are there any such design issues in the cockpits of general aviation and business aviation aircraft ? It would be interesting to know as an avgeek. :)

A ton in bizjets.

The G6000 was designed to be paperless, but really wasn’t ready for it, so no chart holder, which was a $2 plastic clip. The 605 had a neat preselect for QNH, set the landing QNH, hit the button at transition. Never made it on either the 350 (smaller) or Globals. I asked Collins VP, “it was never requested, simple to add”.

The G6000 had been pretty well settled, so why is tow bar head very different on the G7500? Why is the lav service door flimsy and opens against the wind?

That’s a start.

basspaul

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm

bradyj23 wrote:

As the CRJ100 probably has a nearly identical cockpit to a Challenger which went into service in the 80's: Soda cans in Canada were smaller than the US until 1990 or so...

http://www.coke-cans.com/canada.html

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Sounds about right.

bradyj23

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:01 pm

basspaul wrote:
bradyj23 wrote:

As the CRJ100 probably has a nearly identical cockpit to a Challenger which went into service in the 80's: Soda cans in Canada were smaller than the US until 1990 or so...

Had no idea. That’s interesting and it at least explains why. It was fixed in the 700/900

LH707330

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:16 pm

basspaul wrote:
bradyj23 wrote:

I always wondered why Canadians are in better shape, now I have the answer!

abcgogo

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The G6000 was designed to be paperless, but really wasn’t ready for it, so no chart holder, which was a $2 plastic clip. The 605 had a neat preselect for QNH, set the landing QNH, hit the button at transition. Never made it on either the 350 (smaller) or Globals. I asked Collins VP, “it was never requested, simple to add”.

The G6000 had been pretty well settled, so why is tow bar head very different on the G7500? Why is the lav service door flimsy and opens against the wind?

That’s a start.

Wow, that's some good info, thanks ! I like the Globals, but never knew they too had their quirks, especially since their cockpits look so stylish. Have all the cockpit & avionics issues you mentioned, been fixed in the Global-7500 ?

Maybe the tow bar head issue you mentioned could be for a valid reason or a money grabbing move intended to increase profits by sales of accessories like the new tow bar ? Something like the smartphone manufacturers who sell new adaptors for the new problem they created maybe ?

And is it possible there would have been complaints about the old lav service door design, where it might have been difficult to keep it open in high wind conditions, when the ground crew were working on it ? So now by making it open against the wind, it might stay open regardless of wind conditions ? I could be wrong about all this so apologies for any mistakes/misunderstandings.