planecane
Topic Author

Normal Overnight Cleaning Procedures

Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm

I ask this because in an email form Southwest, the described their pre-coronavirus cleaning procedure and then added what they are doing additionally now. In the email they said that "we spend between 6-7 hours cleaning each aircraft every night."

Is this accurate and, if so, what on earth do they do that takes that long? Having taken first flights of the day on many airlines, it certainly doesn't seem like they spend that much time cleaning.

strfyr51

Re: Normal Overnight Cleaning Procedures

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 am

planecane wrote:
I ask this because in an email form Southwest, the described their pre-coronavirus cleaning procedure and then added what they are doing additionally now. In the email they said that "we spend between 6-7 hours cleaning each aircraft every night."

Is this accurate and, if so, what on earth do they do that takes that long? Having taken first flights of the day on many airlines, it certainly doesn't seem like they spend that much time cleaning.

they're more than likely wiping down the seat bottoms and seat backs, armrests and tray tables with a disinfectant and with 4 people working an airplane? that could take an Hour including cleaning the Galleys and the Lavatories and the overhead bin doors. But was that Hours or Manhours?

planecane
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 am

strfyr51 wrote:
planecane wrote:

they're more than likely wiping down the seat bottoms and seat backs, armrests and tray tables with a disinfectant and with 4 people working an airplane? that could take an Hour including cleaning the Galleys and the Lavatories and the overhead bin doors. But was that Hours or Manhours?

The quote in my post is directly out of the email so I don't know if that is hours or manhours. The context is that was the time spent BEFORE the additional disinfecting due to COVID-19.

Dalmd88

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:12 am

It's got to be manhours. When I worked overnight line MTC we would see the cleaner crew for about an hour per airplane. Then they went to the next one.

shamrock137

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:54 am

planecane wrote:

Strange.. some aircraft don't even have 7 hours of ground time each night. Only exception would be aircraft scheduled for a deep clean. Most airlines I've worked for have a standard overnight clean for all overnighters and a deep clean for select aircraft. The standard clean is usually a full vacuum, empty each seat bottom tray and setback pocket, clean each tray table, wipe each TV if equipped, clean arm rests, windows, galley surfaces and lav surfaces. A deep clean usually involves all the normal things plus, shampooing the carpet, removing galley carts and bins to clean behind, cleaning walls, overhead bins and bin doors, seat covers, removing gum from the carpet (why are people always throwing gum on the floor??), and emptying all lav compartments and removing the toilet shrouds for cleaning or replacement.

6-7 hours though.... WN must have a clean fleet!
Time to spare? Go by air!

VSMUT

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:08 pm

I can only speak for my experience on turboprop flying in Europe and Asia. Subject to availability of cleaners, the cabin would be cleaned at least every evening, typically also once or twice during the day (usually at crew change). It would typically consist of picking trash, vacuum cleaning the floor, wiping down the table, the lavatory and emptying of seat pouches. It would take a team of 4 cleaners no more than 10-15 minutes.

Assuming Southwest runs a full cabin sterilisation these days, it isn't unthinkable that they will be occupying 7 cleaners for an hour, amounting to 7 manhours.

7673mech

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:49 pm

I asked around and was told essentially it is a normal clean with now a disinfectant wipe down afterwards of all fixtures, tables, etc.
Also more thorough cleaning of galleys.