rigo
Topic Author

The A350's "whiskers"

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:54 am

I was wondering what are all the probes and sensors placed on the A350's nose?

It certainly seems to have many more than a typical airliner, including compared to other state-of-the-art birds with (presumably) same generation of avionics and systems, including the 787:

and the A220:

They look like pitot tubes, but surely the plane does't need so many of them, so they must have other functions?

Francoflier

Re: The A350's "whiskers"

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:17 am

The 3 probes under the windshields are sideslip angle probes (SSA). Basically like AoA vanes mounted vertically. They feed information to the ADIRS, but they have been deleted from later models as their function is now replaced by software.

The rest is a mix of 3 multifunction probes (AoA + pitot + TAT), a 4th standalone AoA and standalone pitot for redundancy and 2 icing probes.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:35 am

Going clockwise from the three probes just under the windshield.
- Top - 3x Sideslip Angle Propes. Newer examples don't have these as avionics upgrades have eliminated the need.
- Under left side window (right side in the pic) - Standby static probe.
- Left side (right side in the pic) - 1x Standby pitot. 1x Multifunction probes (MFP) integrating TAT, pitot and AoA. 1x standby AoA probe. 1x ice detection probe.
- Right side (left side in the pic) - 1x ice detection probe. 2x Multifunction probes integrating TAT, pitot and AoA.
- Under right side window (left side in the pic) - Standby static probe
- Not shown - Side of fuselage: 3x static probes each side on the lower side of the fuselage behind the "1" doors. Inside nose gear bay: 2x OAT probes for static temp on the ground.

The A350 has 3 primary air data systems. Each of the three has its 1x MFP (TAT, pitot, AoA), 1 SSA and 2 static probes (one per side), making up a total of 3 MFPs, 3 SSA and 6 static. The standby system has 1 pitot, 2 static probes below the side windows) and 1 AoA probe. Further redundancy in case all primary and the standby system fail is provided by FADEC sensors.

I think one of the reasons all the probes are grouped around the nose like this is that on the A330, with for example the AoA probes further back close to the doors, they were more exposed to damage from ground equipment. Also the A330 "only" has 2 primary and 1 standby air data system.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

T54A

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 pm

It appears the SSA probes are optional. Looking at the four SAA machines, two have the SSA probes (MSN 226/245, ex Hainan) and two don’t (MSN 354/365, ex Mauritius.
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3 A359

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:32 pm

T54A wrote:
It appears the SSA probes are optional. Looking at the four SAA machines, two have the SSA probes (MSN 226/245, ex Hainan) and two don’t (MSN 354/365, ex Mauritius.

I mentioned this in my post two weeks ago. They aren't optional. They've been deleted from later examples since they have been made redundant by avionics upgrades.
Last edited by Starlionblue on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

T54A

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
T54A wrote:

I mentioned this in my post two weeks ago. They aren't optional. They've been deleted from later examples since they have been made redundant my avionics upgrades.

Ah yes. A good example of read first, comment second.
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3 A359