wn676
Topic Author

B767-300 Door Configurations

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:23 pm

While there have been many discussions on the topic of the multiple door configurations of the B767-300, I have a couple of questions that so far I’ve not been able to dig up answers to:

1) Is there a complete list available of all of the frames still active that have an L2 door forward of the wing?

2) Which operators with that door configuration actually standardize or prefer the use of L2 over L1 when enplaning/deplaning passengers?

For a little bit of background, I’m looking at this from the perspective of gate/stand parking design where a boarding bridge may need to support L2 docking for this type.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

Kno

Re: B767-300 Door Configurations

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:33 pm

As far as gate design, it would be no different than any other aircraft with L2 boarding, just pull the jetway up to the L2 door. From my observation, L1 would often be used on 767s with L2 doors anyway, and I would assume this is most likely because jetway operators and cabin crews were typically more familiar with this configuration.

wn676
Topic Author

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:12 pm

Kno wrote:
As far as gate design, it would be no different than any other aircraft with L2 boarding, just pull the jetway up to the L2 door. From my observation, L1 would often be used on 767s with L2 doors anyway, and I would assume this is most likely because jetway operators and cabin crews were typically more familiar with this configuration.

That’s been my assumption as well. There are some layouts where the placement of the rotunda or stop mark and the retraction limit of the bridge prevents an L1 operation. The smart thing to do would be to always design your bridges and stop marks to allow for L1 but unfortunately that practice hasn’t always been followed.

Maybe to rephrase the original post...L2 boarding is certainly rare for the type, I’m just trying to quantity exactly how unnecessary it really is based on current operators that have that particular door variant.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

strfyr51

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 am

wn676 wrote:
While there have been many discussions on the topic of the multiple door configurations of the B767-300, I have a couple of questions that so far I’ve not been able to dig up answers to:

1) Is there a complete list available of all of the frames still active that have an L2 door forward of the wing?

2) Which operators with that door configuration actually standardize or prefer the use of L2 over L1 when enplaning/deplaning passengers?

For a little bit of background, I’m looking at this from the perspective of gate/stand parking design where a boarding bridge may need to support L2 docking for this type.

the United 767-300'svall still use L2 door lading and unloadimg where they don't have dual jetwaus that allow loading from door 1L and 2L at the same time.

AirKevin

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:05 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
the United 767-300'svall still use L2 door lading and unloadimg where they don't have dual jetwaus that allow loading from door 1L and 2L at the same time.

So when you say they use door L2 for boarding, you mean they board through the tail?

Captain Kevin

Kno

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
wn676 wrote:

United’s 767-300s don’t have an L2 before the wing so I’m going to assume you either completely made this up or don’t know what a 767-300 is.

LH707330

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Kno wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
wn676 wrote:

United’s 767-300s don’t have an L2 before the wing so I’m going to assume you either completely made this up or don’t know what a 767-300 is.

Or it was a typo and the poster meant 764.... Several possibilities, no need to be harsh.