PJC62
Topic Author

Simulator Training to increase?

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:26 pm

I’m just wondering with the world’s Airlines grounding aircraft, and taking Qantas as an example, stopping its international network 100% soon. It means that all these Captains, First Officers, Second Offices will not be getting the hours they need. So will airlines now up the Simulator training so people can remain compliant? We don’t know how long this we go on for, and if it does stretch out for months – when it’s over – or looking better- can they just jump back into the left /right hand seats and continue flying as if nothing happened. Sorry if it’s a silly question but I travel (use too) a hell of a lot. Miss my G&T and 39,000 ft

Keep safe and wash those hands everyone!

a340crew

Re: Simulator Training to increase?

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:07 am

In the US pilots (captain or first officer) only need 3 landings in a 90 day period. This is usually not an issue at most airlines but if they were coming close to this 90 day window the landings can be accomplished in a simulator. Also if they miss the 90 day window it can be reset by doing a Proficiency Check in the simulator.

If a pilot takes a voluntary leave or gets furloughed they won’t get any simulator time until they return to work. Depending how long they were out they will dictate what type of training they get.

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:11 am

This has already been happening. The number of recency sims is increasing simply because captains and first officers aren't doing enough takeoffs and landings.

Second officers, in our case cruise pilots, do their recency in the sim anyway so their sessions will not increase.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

aeropix

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:56 am

At my airline we closed the simulators for the next 30 days, to prevent transmission of the virus inside the stuffy little mechanical box. Guys/Gals who need recurrent are being given a 4-month extension waiver by the authorities to give everyone time to see how this thing shakes out. I think the "4-month extension" is a harbinger of worse to come before the recovery begins...