Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rg787
Topic Author

COVID19 stored aircraft chocks and engine covers

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:28 am

Hello all, hope everyone is ok.

During the COVID19 crisis and consequent aircraft grounding, I've seen a lot of photos from tons and tons of planes on the ground, most of them chocked and with engine covers.

I know those are essential equipment to prevent damage etc, but imagining all those planes should otherwise be flying and stoping on other bases, where does all these come from? Is it supplied with every engine or something like that and warehoused by their owners?

The chocks are not so surprising as regardless of the place and time, those must be available for planes arriving at any given airport; but I imagine the engine covers are rarely used during an airplane life, let alone in the quantity we are seeing now.

B6JFKH81

Re: COVID19 stored aircraft chocks and engine covers

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:39 am

Every new aircraft I have seen delivered from Airbus and Embraer comes with a cover kit for engines, pitots, apu exhaust, plugs for some air inlets, etc. Some airlines keep them on the aircraft, others remove them and store them in the line operations. These official covers are not necessarily required as alternate methods can be used with more basic (and readily accessable) materials following AMM guidelines from the A/C manufacturer (and other standards manuals).
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

StereoTechque

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:16 am

B6JFKH81 wrote:
Every new aircraft I have seen delivered from Airbus and Embraer comes with a cover kit for engines, pitots, apu exhaust, plugs for some air inlets, etc. Some airlines keep them on the aircraft, others remove them and store them in the line operations. These official covers are not necessarily required as alternate methods can be used with more basic (and readily accessable) materials following AMM guidelines from the A/C manufacturer (and other standards manuals).

Some manufacturers call them Fly Away kits and come with the Aircraft during delivery.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

sliord

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:47 pm

As a national lockdown to contain the novel coronavirus flare-up solidified inventory chains, claim to fame compound producers too confronted coordinations and work issues.

fr8mech

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:48 pm

sliord wrote:
As a national lockdown to contain the novel coronavirus flare-up solidified inventory chains, claim to fame compound producers too confronted coordinations and work issues.

I know what each of those words mean individually, but when you put them all together in that order, I’m lost.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

CrimsonNL

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:47 am

rg787 wrote:
I know those are essential equipment to prevent damage etc, but imagining all those planes should otherwise be flying and stoping on other bases, where does all these come from? Is it supplied with every engine or something like that and warehoused by their owners?.

I always figured every aircraft with a major airline would have their accompanying engine covers somewhere. Some of the airlines I worked with used to store the covers in the aircraft cargo hold all the time. However much to my surprise a few airlines around here don't have covers for all their stored engines/aircraft. I won't disclose which airline, but one has resorted to stuffing inflatable swimming pools in the engine intake, which seem to fit remarkably well! :shock:
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

rg787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:41 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:

I always figured every aircraft with a major airline would have their accompanying engine covers somewhere. Some of the airlines I worked with used to store the covers in the aircraft cargo hold all the time. However much to my surprise a few airlines around here don't have covers for all their stored engines/aircraft. I won't disclose which airline, but one has resorted to stuffing inflatable swimming pools in the engine intake, which seem to fit remarkably well! :shock:

Lol that is a good one.

I expected them to have those equipment, but I didn't know it would be so easily accessible. Some companies are storing aircraft in airports which are not their bases, and some airports are receiving tons of planes more than the usual.

Since it is so easily accessible, I guess it is simply a question of transporting the kits to where they are needed after all.

shamrock137

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:28 pm

rg787 wrote:
CrimsonNL wrote:

Lol that is a good one.

I expected them to have those equipment, but I didn't know it would be so easily accessible. Some companies are storing aircraft in airports which are not their bases, and some airports are receiving tons of planes more than the usual.

Since it is so easily accessible, I guess it is simply a question of transporting the kits to where they are needed after all.

Love the pool idea! In my experience, most out stations have at least one set of covers depending on what a/c types they see, plus the line maintenance at larger stations will have larger stores. Beyond long term storage the covers can be used in other situations, mostly weather events like a large snowstorm to keep ice and snow out of the engine, or a high wind storm to keep things like sand or FOD out of the engines. With aircraft that are parked in long term storage facilities, some of those will fabricate covers on site from mylar type foil and speed tape, they don't use the big read fabric covers. Some pictures in this article https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-aircraft-boneyard-behind-the-scenes-look-pinal-air-park-2020-4

As far as chocks, these are easier to source as they're pretty universal, there aren't aircraft type specific chocks, the same ones for a 737 will work on an A320. You can also make them out of many easily accessible materials, wood, rubber, etc.

One thing I know that has been in very short supply is desiccant. Aircraft in storage are usually filled with a few large bags of desiccant to control humidity and prevent corrosion. Even the engines usually have a couple bags thrown in. This has been very hard to come by however.
Time to spare? Go by air!