Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

3MilesToWRO
Topic Author

Mriya/Ruslan landing checklist

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:57 am

Hello, can anyone fly An-225 here? ;-)
OK, seriously, what is it in the landing checklist of Mriya after "Flaps, slats - 35, 17"? I can't find anyone recognizing the words, it must be some abbreviation or strictly jargon. Ruslan has it too, I think.

tu204

Re: Mriya/Ruslan landing checklist

Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:31 pm

3MilesToWRO wrote:
OK, seriously, what is it in the landing checklist of Mriya after "Flaps, slats - 35, 17"? I can't find anyone recognizing the words, it must be some abbreviation or strictly jargon. Ruslan has it too, I think.

Could you maybe post a link to the checklist?
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

3MilesToWRO
Topic Author

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:09 pm

tu204 wrote:
3MilesToWRO wrote:

Those two moments, for example:
https://youtu.be/9VCsME4j3Iw?t=166
https://youtu.be/9VCsME4j3Iw?t=510

tu204

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:35 am

3MilesToWRO wrote:
tu204 wrote:
3MilesToWRO wrote:

Those two moments, for example:
https://youtu.be/9VCsME4j3Iw?t=166
https://youtu.be/9VCsME4j3Iw?t=510

Asked a buddy. RuAF, IL7. Gave him your links.

His answer: "КШ РВ, КШ РН" ("K-Sh R-V, K-Sh R-N").
РВ (RV) - Руль Высоты (elevators), РН (RN) - руль направление (rudder).
What "КШ" (K-Sh) means he doesn't know (no such thing in IL7 checklist), but he promised to ask A124 guys, they got the same thing in their checklist. May take a day or two.
You got me and him curious too ;)
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

BREECH

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:41 am

3MilesToWRO wrote:

Not jargon, they are reading the landing checklist.

Checkpoint: "KshRV, KshRN"
Response: "Landing".

KshRV is the "gear ratio" of the elevator, i.e. how much the yoke should be moved to achieve a certain degree of the elevator. KshRN is the same coefficient for the rudder. It changes depending on the flight mode. In this case it is being reconfigured for landing.

It is very similar to what auto manufacturers (e.g. BMW) do with steering ratios. The faster you go, the more you need to turn the steering wheel to achieve the same degree for the wheels.

Does it make sense?
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

3MilesToWRO
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:00 am

BREECH wrote:
Not jargon, they are reading the landing checklist.

Checkpoint: "KshRV, KshRN"
Response: "Landing".

KshRV is the "gear ratio" of the elevator, i.e. how much the yoke should be moved to achieve a certain degree of the elevator. KshRN is the same coefficient for the rudder. It changes depending on the flight mode. In this case it is being reconfigured for landing.

tu204 wrote:
Asked a buddy. RuAF, IL7. Gave him your links.

His answer: "КШ РВ, КШ РН" ("K-Sh R-V, K-Sh R-N").
РВ (RV) - Руль Высоты (elevators), РН (RN) - руль направление (rudder).

Ha! Now I can hear it :-) Thanks to both of you. If you could say what words are precisely "КШ" it would be a cherry on top, but that explains all anyway. I supposed it might be some kind of trimming set to "posadka" mode but did not know there are different gears in 124/225 steering kinematics. (Of course I don't imagine a flight engineer pressing a huge clutch and shifting a giant lever. Or actually I do ;-) but I doubt it'd be done this way.)
Is the landing setting more sensitive than level flight, or less? I think there would be justifications for both.

BREECH

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:56 pm

3MilesToWRO wrote:
Ha! Now I can hear it :-) Thanks to both of you. If you could say what words are precisely "КШ" it would be a cherry on top, but that explains all anyway. I supposed it might be some kind of trimming set to "posadka" mode but did not know there are different gears in 124/225 steering kinematics. (Of course I don't imagine a flight engineer pressing a huge clutch and shifting a giant lever. Or actually I do ;-) but I doubt it'd be done this way.)
Is the landing setting more sensitive than level flight, or less? I think there would be justifications for both.

The terms you're looking for are said right before "posadka", but they are barely audible with the radio exchange in the background. As for the settings (mind you, I'm NOT an 225 pilot), I don't think it's more or less sensitive. That would be dangerous, and I'd be VERY surprised if that was the case. (And I have to correct myself on the BMW steering analogy!) I believe the difference is not in sensitivity per se but in how FAST it moves. Since landing is a relatively short stage, maybe the hydraulic pumps are allowed to work harder (at max capacity?) than in flight.
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

mach144

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:04 pm

After close examination of the similar video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbdq79k8d3Y

those unknown words K and Sh(Ш) are in my opinion pilot's articulation (or more precisely - abbreviation) of the Russian word ' Хорошо!' (Okay)...