Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Rolls
Topic Author

RR CTi Fan Colour

Fri May 15, 2020 6:29 am

Hello

All the prototypes and demonstrators for Rolls Royce new Carbon Titanium fan assembly are Turquoise in colour.

Does anyone know if this colour has any technical benefit, or is purely from a marketing standpoint?

Will this colour make its way into production engines and would multiple colours be an option?

Thanks
Rolls

rjsampson

Re: RR CTi Fan Colour

Mon May 18, 2020 5:49 am

The turquoise color is inherent in the CTi formulation so... yes, these will be in the production engines and no, multiple colors would not be an option, nor is this for marketing purposes.

It's funny, because I was curious about this a couple of years ago too. So I tried to reach out to multiple RR engineers on LinkedIn asking them that very question. Most refused to answer, citing confidentiality, but finally one youngish engineer did respond and told me that yes, this is indeed part of the formula and will be on production engines.

You can see a similar color on the inner liner of the PW1100g engine. This is functional and a result of the materials formulation, and is not for marketing.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(

StereoTechque

Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 am

rjsampson wrote:
The turquoise color is inherent in the CTi formulation so... yes, these will be in the production engines and no, multiple colors would not be an option, nor is this for marketing purposes.

You can see a similar color on the inner liner of the PW1100g engine. This is functional and a result of the materials formulation, and is not for marketing.

Thanks for clarification @rjsampson. The inner liner of the PW GTF you are referring to is called the Attrition Liner, same is also evident on new/overhauled V2500 engine. The Color then gradually fades away.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

Rolls
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks for the info @rjsampson - very insightful!

United857

Tue May 19, 2020 3:49 am

Just out of curiosity, why does the RR version have the turquoise color while the GE version is black? I've toured a UA engine shop before and held a GE90 fan blade in my hand, and the black color is not paint, but is the actual color of the carbon "fabric."
A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A346 A388 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748 B752 B764 B772 B77L B77W B788 B789 CRJ2 E145 E17S E190 MD88 MD90
AA AC B6 CA CX CZ DL EK FM HU JL KA LH LX MU NH TK UA US

gloom

Tue May 19, 2020 8:42 am

United857 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why does the RR version have the turquoise color while the GE version is black? I've toured a UA engine shop before and held a GE90 fan blade in my hand, and the black color is not paint, but is the actual color of the carbon "fabric."

As mentioned above - since it's not the natural colour, I'd bet it's some sort of coating material. Could be some sort of ceramic, chemically infused coating.

Solution made on experiences from T-1000 coating, perhaps? :duck: :duck: :duck:

Cheers,
Adam