Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

DueRegard
Topic Author

European Routing and CFMU Validation

Wed May 20, 2020 11:08 am

What’s up everyone. Hope this is an appropriate forum for my question, if it’s not just tell me to shut up. I’ve recently been ‘given the opportunity’ to look into routing for transits over European airspace, and have noticed that CFMU validation tools don’t really give you much insight into what issues it finds with routing, aside from an error code that, fortunately, I’ve been able to find a pretty decent database for. Long story short, I’ve seen a couple pretty common errors so far, such as ‘this route is not available from FL305 - FL999’ or ‘this direct segment is too long for XXXX’, despite the fact that I’m plugging in airways from the IFR High, or that a long direct leg is the only available routing in that area. I’ve seen flight plans get filed just fine with these errors, leading me to believe that these may just be incorrect or unnecessary error returns, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone with more experience had a better answer about the validation system, why it’s returning these errors, and what Eurocontrol is comfortable accepting vs. what errors I should really be concerned with.

That’s the quick down and dirty, I can offer some more specific instances if that would help with clarification.

gloom

Re: European Routing and CFMU Validation

Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 pm

NOP offers explanations and also points out to RAD issues. Most of RAD explanations offer alternate routings, or explains fixes.

If you have any particular problem(s) with route, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I never ever encountered a route that I was not able to fix with RAD explanations.

Cheers,
Adam

JAGflyer

Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 pm

DueRegard wrote:
What’s up everyone. Hope this is an appropriate forum for my question, if it’s not just tell me to shut up. I’ve recently been ‘given the opportunity’ to look into routing for transits over European airspace, and have noticed that CFMU validation tools don’t really give you much insight into what issues it finds with routing, aside from an error code that, fortunately, I’ve been able to find a pretty decent database for. Long story short, I’ve seen a couple pretty common errors so far, such as ‘this route is not available from FL305 - FL999’ or ‘this direct segment is too long for XXXX’, despite the fact that I’m plugging in airways from the IFR High, or that a long direct leg is the only available routing in that area. I’ve seen flight plans get filed just fine with these errors, leading me to believe that these may just be incorrect or unnecessary error returns, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone with more experience had a better answer about the validation system, why it’s returning these errors, and what Eurocontrol is comfortable accepting vs. what errors I should really be concerned with.

That’s the quick down and dirty, I can offer some more specific instances if that would help with clarification.

As the poster above me mentioned, you need to search for the entry in the RAD document that relates to the specific error code that you are given. This is the document (for the latest AIRAC site which starts today, the 21 of May): https://www.nm.eurocontrol.int/RAD/2006 ... UROPE.xlsx . That should give you an idea of why a portion of the route is not validating via CFMU. You sometimes can get around the restrictions by making sure you are at the acceptable altitudes, providing it is practical (ie. going from FL340 to FL320 then back to FL340). There is also an "Advanced Free Text Editor" that may be able to suggest an alternate route. This does not always work but it's possible. If you have the time and there are not many errors, you can sometimes just try doing direct segments and/or using alternate airways. As someone who primarily deals with flight planning in the Americas, I've had to get used to having sometimes very strange looking routes that zig-zag around to avoid certain areas due to restrictions on airspace, altitudes, airways, etc.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

gloom

Fri May 22, 2020 5:08 am

JAGflyer wrote:
I've had to get used to having sometimes very strange looking routes that zig-zag around to avoid certain areas due to restrictions on airspace, altitudes, airways, etc.

So true. But with FRA, it's definitely getting better. I actually wanted to use a route into EDDM as example, and did some routings there on CFMU. There's famous limit to F340 for a traffic comingfrom the north.
It has been established to avoid traffic descending over Czech Republic and crossing west to east traffic.
First, my homebase to EDDM it was three airways route a couple of years ago. Then it turned what you say - airway in one country, direct, airway, airway below F240 (final section, so just needed early descend, which was usually the case anyway for transition).
Today - it's three directs, with limit to F340 intact, but no need to descend early.

So, it's simplicity coming again :)

Cheers,
Adam

GalaxyFlyer

Sun May 31, 2020 3:28 pm

Is there still OAT military only routes in Europe?

gloom

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:05 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Is there still OAT military only routes in Europe?

I can only speak for my country, but yes, in Poland there are still a few. Mainly as approach routes to large mil bases. Probably the same with other countries where large airbases exist (Rammstein, anyone?).

There are maps in MIL AIP showing these, friend has shared these with me, so if you're interested - let me know. I'm not the author, so without permission I don't want to share as public.

Cheers,
Adam

gloom

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm

Sorry, cannot edit previous. Had a bunch of talks with my friend, who's a area ATC, working with GAT. Mil traffic has its own routes on approaches usually, that means in most cases 2000ft or less, and outside of controlled area. In controlled airspace they have dedicated OAT controllers, but otherwise than that, they are normal traffic. Traffic is ccordinated as required.

Hope that answers.
Cheers,
Adam