Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

twaconnie
Topic Author

Parking airliners. question?

Sat May 23, 2020 10:23 pm

With so many planes being parked today I was wondering what has to be done before they can be left for two or three months? And how quickly can they be put back in service?
I know it's not like a car just kick the tires and start the engine. LOL

battlegroup62

Re: Parking airliners. question?

Sun May 24, 2020 2:32 am

Kind of is to a certain extent, and depending on how long it is being stored. On the AC I work there are different levels based on time. Less than 7 days, 7 to 30 days and 30 plus days. For less than 7 days its put probe covers on, and cover any air inlets/ outlets for ventilation and cover the engine inlets and exhaust,lower all window shades and that is about it. 7-30 is a bit more involved, it includes the first weeks stuff plus greasing all grease points putting preservative oil in all engines and spooling them up for a few minutes then recovering engines. the engines have to be run weekly as well as cycling all flight controls with hydraulics.
For above 30 days the covers go on everything, engines get preservative oil, desiccant bags in the inlet and exhaust, and wrapped as air tight as possible, everthing that has a lube task is lubed, and all windows are covered of shades closed. It depends on operator but the interior seat cushions can be removed and stored indoors to prevent mustiness. also every week all cabin doors are opened for several hours to air out the interior.
We have to keep planes airworthy. That doesn't mean they have to fly.

twaconnie
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Wow sounds very labor intensive must take a lot of man hours, I can see this as another major expense for the airlines. Maybe it would be easier just to fly them half hour per week,but I'm no expert sure they know what's best. Thanks for your detailed answer,very informative.

AirBoat

Sun May 24, 2020 1:30 pm

I am curious about the tyres and brakes.
On a car, after standing for a few months the tyres are flat spotted, and gives a bumpy ride for a few days.
The brake fluid tends to gain moisture and then corrode the pistons in the brake callipers in a car. How soon is this an issue for an aeroplane?

Dalmd88

Sun May 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Short term storage the planes get an engine run with all systems operated I think once a week.

Tires are serviced every week just like normal. Aircraft tires really bleed down a lot quicker than automotive tires so a weekly air up is normal. They use Nitrogen, but not for the silly reasons car places do to try to sell you a upgrade. N2 does not have water vapor and Oxygen like normal air. At altitude the water vapor turns to ice and over long term It can corrode the interior of the wheels. Yes they do get flat spotted when they sit for weeks. This even happens during long maintenance checks.

The brake fluid on airplanes is different than automotive fluid. Auto fluid is highly hydroscopic, It attracts water vapor. Get enough water in the fluid the brakes don't work well and corrosion. For Aircraft brakes Skydrol hydraulic fluid is used. The brake system is connected to one or both of the overall aircraft hydraulic systems. Skydrol doesn't attract water. It never gets changed during the life of the airplane. It just gets continuously topped off to replace what ever is lost due to leaks or component changes.

AirBoat

Sun May 24, 2020 6:21 pm

thanks for that most informative post.