Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Saintor
Topic Author

Costs of using Antonov 225

Sun May 24, 2020 4:42 pm

This great bird is about 5 minutes from here, in Quebec coming from China. It is filled with about 10000 boxes and the cost of this single flight is reported by a local media to be a stunning US$3 000 000.

According to this site, it can carry almost twice the load of a 747-8.

How would the $3M figure compare with a flight from China using a 747-8 cargo? I am guessing $25-30K par hour, but so it would be a less than 500K operation with loading/unloading, etc. Even if they need to do 2-3 flights, it is likely to be considerably less. I could understand why if they had a very large piece to carry, but small boxes? We love to see the 225 around here, still curious... any reason that I am missing?

FlyHossD

Re: Costs of using Antonov 225

Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 pm

You're asking a good question; the $3 million figure (dollars or Loonies) seems very high to me. That is, like you, I believe it could be done for less in multiple flights on other aircraft.

The greatest value of the AN-225 is in it's ability to take large heavy objects aboard. It was a regular visitor to IAH when I was based there and often carried oilfield equipment out of IAH. I remember another case where it carried an rather large (long) crane.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

gloom

Mon May 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Yeah, general reason to use An124 or An225 is LHC (Large Heavy Cargo). Something you can't take on standard Cargo plane, or as a pallet in passenger plane.

However, recent run of transports aboard An225 I believe has two reasons:
1. Many governments making marketing show ("listen kids, we brought you so many presents" attitude)
2. The more reasonable argument is general lack of cargo airplanes, as they all carry now plenty of Covid related cargo in addition to standard cargo. We see passenger planes being used as cargo haulers, and some rebuilds (see A350s from Finnair, for example).

So basically, you are right, it would make no sense to carry on An225 if it fitted for example 3 77Fs. But world doesn't always consider economy as most important reason. Sometimes prestige comes to front, or (more reasonably) availability and schedules.

Cheers,
Adam

zeke

Mon May 25, 2020 9:03 pm

I think 744F charters from China to the US are going for over US$1 million at the moment.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Armadillo1

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 am

really at that time has so much cargo shortage?

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Armadillo1 wrote:
really at that time has so much cargo shortage?

Yes. In normal times, around half of the world's air cargo goes as belly freight in pax aircraft. Since few of those aircraft are flying now, there's a massive capacity shortage.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Armadillo1

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:28 pm

i thought with so big number unused pilot and planes cargo capacity must be increase several times

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:44 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
i thought with so big number unused pilot and planes cargo capacity must be increase several times

In terms of capacity physically available, yes. But there's a difference between physical capacity and economic viability of using said capacity.

A passenger plane in normal operations makes a profit from both passengers and cargo. If you remove the passengers from the equation, cargo must pay for the whole operation. This means much more money must be made on cargo. Operators won't run the operations at a loss, so capacity is kept on the ground, if you will.

It follows that there is a massive shortage of actually flying cargo capacity.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

PresRDC

Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:24 pm

My old employer chartered an Antonov 225 to move helicopters from Poland to Chile. Cost was well under $3M.