Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A340500
Topic Author

An-124 escape slide?

Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 pm

I was able to photograph RA-82042 at VIE with the nose up recently, and noticed workers removing some sort of rectangular structure before any unloading happened, seemingly a chute or escape. Image

I have to assume it ends in this panel left of the door that can be opened somehow, but is there an inflatable slide at the end of it? Is the panel opened from the cockpit? Are there any photos of this slide? I was only able to find pics of the ladder.

There is also an emergency exit further towards the back of the crew deck, which I assume is directly accessible since the aisle goes quite far back with crew rests, etc. Does this one have a slide? The C-5 has a slide for the crew deck exit, but that exit is a lot bigger as well.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: An-124 escape slide?

Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 pm

The C-5 escape slide is in the aft flight deck about 2-3rds the way back. The pilots and flight engineers can also use inertial reels out the windows or overhead hatch. The C-5 crew entry ladder was transverse mounted, the airstair from ground to cargo deck and a folding ladder to the flight deck. The C-5 folding up against the ceiling, not sure how this one works.

It does look like an escape chute that goes out thru that forward, lower door. Odd design that gets in the way of loading.

MoKa777

Thu May 28, 2020 10:57 pm

I came across this article:

https://www.airlinereporter.com/2013/02 ... ov-an-124/

It states:

Behind the flight deck is a crew rest area with a lavatory, small kitchen and two seating areas that can convert into beds. There is a second upper deck behind the wings (we were not able to view) that is designed to hold up to 80 passengers or additional cargo.

The second sentence caught my attention. The picture that you posted of the escape hatch behind the wings may be for this section of the aircraft.

Are there any pictures of this section of the AN-124?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Yes, I see that aft hatch, same place as it is in the C-5.

kalvado

Thu May 28, 2020 11:46 pm

http://repo.ssau.ru/bitstream/Uchebnye- ... %D1%82.pdf
pages 9 and 10 have some cross-sections, on page 12there is a sketch of mid-body section

kalvado

Fri May 29, 2020 12:11 am

And the rear cabin of 225 - should be very similar to 124

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 29, 2020 3:05 am

Is that the aft flight deck or the passenger cabin? Looks more like aft flight deck behind the engineers.

kalvado

Fri May 29, 2020 1:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Is that the aft flight deck or the passenger cabin? Looks more like aft flight deck behind the engineers.

More like aft cabin according to the plan. Bunks in forward part and seats in rear part of aft cabin
Fun part: looks like C on the plan shows evacuation path from front cabin going through the wing.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 29, 2020 2:59 pm

We’re confusing terms, “aft flight deck” is rear part of the flight deck, the crew compartment forward of the wing box. Troop or Passenger compartment is aft of the wing. That’s why I think this is aft flight deck(C-5 term), that part forward of the wing but aft of the flight deck and crew rest. Looking at the evac diagram, nearly identical to the C-5.
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Fri May 29, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VSMUT

Fri May 29, 2020 2:59 pm

kalvado wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

More like aft cabin according to the plan. Bunks in forward part and seats in rear part of aft cabin
Fun part: looks like C on the plan shows evacuation path from front cabin going through the wing.

C must be in the ceiling. See the hatch just in front of the wing with a massive yellow "RESCUE" arrow pointing at it:

jetlife2

Fri May 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Edit: I just relooked at the picture, sorry this is the stairway to the main fwd flight deck. I mistook the view for the aft stairs. Same principle as I described below. I have climbed up into the flight deck for a visit. It is the primary access ladder to the flightdeck.

It is stairway to the aft cabin. I have flown on this aircraft, in this cabin. It is a separate pressurized cabin not connected to the flight deck. You climb up the ladder to enter it, pull up the ladder inside the cabin and then close a pressurized hatch in the floor. I took some photos inside and will see if I can post them here.
My views are not necessarily the views of the GE Company

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Never figured out why they didn’t pressurize the entire plane. I cannot count the number of times access to the cargo deck was necessary or advantageous. Once brought an seriously injured seaman from PR, in an ambulance tied down on the cargo deck. We were at Rosie Roads, man had serious back injury needed evacuation to Bethesda Naval Hospital, secured ambulance with doctor and corpsmen inside and flew to Andrews.

VSMUT

Fri May 29, 2020 4:54 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Never figured out why they didn’t pressurize the entire plane. I cannot count the number of times access to the cargo deck was necessary or advantageous. Once brought an seriously injured seaman from PR, in an ambulance tied down on the cargo deck. We were at Rosie Roads, man had serious back injury needed evacuation to Bethesda Naval Hospital, secured ambulance with doctor and corpsmen inside and flew to Andrews.

When the poster above says it has multiple pressurized cabins, don't you think he means they can all be pressurized separately from each other? Would make sense to keep some parts of the aircraft pressurized if you are dropping stuff out at high altitude.

kalvado

Fri May 29, 2020 5:52 pm

VSMUT wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

When the poster above says it has multiple pressurized cabins, don't you think he means they can all be pressurized separately from each other? Would make sense to keep some parts of the aircraft pressurized if you are dropping stuff out at high altitude.

As far as I understand, there are 2 separately pressurised cabins on top of non-pressurized cargo shed... I mean cargo compartment. I believe the explanation I heard - may very well be wrong - that securing huge doors, especially swing nose, against pressurization made it a no-go.

A340500
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2020 7:25 pm

jetlife2 wrote:
Edit: I just relooked at the picture, sorry this is the stairway to the main fwd flight deck. I mistook the view for the aft stairs. Same principle as I described below. I have climbed up into the flight deck for a visit. It is the primary access ladder to the flightdeck.

But isn't the yellow/orange ladder for that purpose? This structure seems to end at the panel left of the door in the third photo, so how do you get into it? I'm talking about the grey piece being carried away by the people in my second photo, which is still mounted in the aircraft in the first photo and seems to go from the flight deck directly to the side of the fuselage. I've never seen photos of the panel open, and the round bottom of it doesn't seem ideal for regular use. Would love to see the photos, because I'm still confused.

With regard to the point about separate pressurisation, do I understand correctly that it is not possible to access the area behind the wings from the flight deck?

A340500
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 pm

I've just found this scan of a safety card:

And it seems to show the thing I'm describing in the bottom left of the card. There would be a rope to allow the occupants to guide themselves down, apparently, and, I assume, abseil down at the end because there still isn't a slide. Still no clue how the occupants would ensure that the door is open before sliding.

I also have to assume there would be a hatch in the floor to access that slide somewhere, but all the interior photos I've seen show a side exit.

Not sure which exit is shown here, assuming the stock photo description is correct and it's actually an Antonov: https://www.alamy.de/stockfoto-volga-dn ... 29762.html

The exit on the right side of the flight deck, which is an actual door, seems to have a ladder (?) rather than a slide, but perhaps also a rope, based on the card.

The back of the card showing completely separate instructions for the rear seems to confirm jetlife2's point about the rear cabin being separately pressurised (though I still wonder if there is any way to get from one cabin to the other) and these exits do actually have slides, clearly shown as orange on the card, implying that the flight deck very much doesn't have these slides.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 29, 2020 8:30 pm

VSMUT wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Well, no large airlifted is doing HALO drops, you couldn’t fly slow enough with the weights dropped. C-5 drops were done below 13,000’ and C-130 HALO at or below 25,000’ usually. Second, one these designs are used for operational airdrop, that’s not a conceivable or tactically sound mission.

Far more at issue is cargo access during flight and pressurization of the structure being put under pressure to add in fatigue life. Have a leaking helicopter at altitude or fumes from a hydraulic going undetected is greater hazard.

johns624

Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 pm

I can understand the masks, but what's with the full hazmat suits? Is that a hint?

Starlionblue

Fri May 29, 2020 11:26 pm

jetlife2 wrote:

It is stairway to the aft cabin. I have flown on this aircraft, in this cabin. It is a separate pressurized cabin not connected to the flight deck. You climb up the ladder to enter it, pull up the ladder inside the cabin and then close a pressurized hatch in the floor. I took some photos inside and will see if I can post them here.

Easiest is to post them on Imgur.com or the like and link to them.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Stitch

Fri May 29, 2020 11:29 pm

johns624 wrote:
I can understand the masks, but what's with the full hazmat suits? Is that a hint?

Could be COVID-19 protection.